Author Topic: How to tie a swag on.  (Read 7226 times)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
How to tie a swag on.
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:46:01 PM »
Hello All,

I have never toured on a motorcycle before and I will be taking the ST away for a few days down the south coast and snowy mountains of NSW. I will be taking my swag and was hoping someone could advise me the best direction to tie it on.  If I tie it on across the bike it is about as wide as the panniers. If I tie it on length wise it extends from immediately behind me out over the rear rack.  I would prefer to tie it on across the bike but does the wind resistance adversely affect the handling too much?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: How to tie a swag on.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
Hi HunterTodd,
The thread listed below shows a photo of  how I traveled around the block, with a bed roll containing full width self inflating mattress, my sleeping bag, and a chair, strapped across the bike.  I had a two man dome tent in one of panniers.   It had no effect on handling etc, and fuel consumption for the whole trip averaged around 5.4 l/100km
Pete

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=2255.msg22231#msg22231
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline HOFFY

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
Gday Todd.

I borrowed a swag some time ago and it was about a metre wide on the back of my seat and blocked out all rear vision for my mirrors. ST1100.

I decided to fold the swag in half (top to bottom) so it was half the width and no longer blocked any of my rear view.

The matteress was about 90mm thick so I had to enlist the help of someone else to help roll the swag up which was a bit of a pain when you wanted to leave early and put a strain on friendship.

I have now invested in a Oztrail biker swag (around $100).

When rolled up it is only about 50cm wide but when you roll it out, the sides fall away to about 1 metre wide, plenty of room for sleeping. Mattress may be a bit thin for some people but I have now removed that an put in a single air mattress $18. Pump cost $12 from Kmart and plugs into the cig lighter I put on the bike.

Leave a blow up pillow, sleeping bag and the air mattress in the swag all the time ready for a quick get away.   

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »
There you go, it pays to ask.  I didn't think about blocking the view in the mirrors. I will be riding through peak hour Sydney peak hour traffic at some point and will need all the rear vision I can get. I will have to rethink what I am doing.

Thanks guys.

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »
There are bivvy bags and air mattress's around that will do a great job and easy enough to put in your panniers. You may like to invest in a top box too as that will give another large space for camping items.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 07:18:40 AM »
Cannot speak highly enough about Andy Strapz for holding on the waterproof bag that contains my Gortex MSS (Military Sleep System) , Thermarest, pillow and room for a 2 man tent if ever needed  ;-*

Have used the Andy Straps at work for a few years now and impressive  :like

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »
G'day Todd,

Probably a bit late 2 help with your packing goals, nevertheless, I have been xperimenting with different ideas with a mind to getting 2 Toowoomba (that didn't eventuate). However, I'm still brainstorming and I came across these Tactix Technician's Case on special one-off sale at Bunnings NSW at this time.  They r $39 each and could b  easily waterproofed using adhesive weatherstrip (like the stuff used to keep out draughts in doorways). Anyone interested can investigate further by asking at Bunnings for item code BUN-320064.

With 2 cases, tied on roughly, the cases are in an ideal position 2 provide good back support. I rode home this way from Bunnings and with small adjustments and a cushion, this could work really well:

Here, 1 case is used as back support and other items like large tent, table etc can b tied on securely:

Finally, with careful and judicious packing, the second case (on top) could b used for light items like clothing, towels, pillows etc. The problem with wide loads and mirror obstruction is a serious 1 and I have solved it by installing xtra mirrors on Ram mounts high and wide (from Adventuremoto.com.au):

Anyway, some packing ideas 4 OzSToCobbers to consider.  :hatwave
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 11:14:31 AM »
Cannot speak highly enough about Andy Strapz for holding on the waterproof bag that contains my Gortex MSS (Military Sleep System) , Thermarest, pillow and room for a 2 man tent if ever needed  ;-*

Have used the Andy Straps at work for a few years now and impressive  :like

Cannot agree more Andy Straps are fantastic, and they are also very easy on the bike as well so don't leave rub marks or anything
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
Just looking at the previous images I'm glad we're trailer trash. I would find it difficult in getting my leg over the seat with all that gear on the back seat.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Cannot speak highly enough about Andy Strapz for holding on the waterproof bag that contains my Gortex MSS (Military Sleep System) , Thermarest, pillow and room for a 2 man tent if ever needed.

Have used the Andy Straps at work for a few years now and impressive.

ST2UP, what are the straps attached to,  which lets them hold the load down onto the seat?
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
Well after an intense 15 seconds of trial and error I went with the obvious......and it works spot on  :thumb

Picture shows the Russell pillion seat, but I actually use the factory seat as it sits lower and flatter......sitting lower with the bed roll insitu I can still open the Topbox  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:05:45 PM by ST2UP »
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 01:15:45 AM »

With 2 cases, tied on roughly, :crackup , this could work really well:  :crackup :crackup

:law :cop and other items like large tent, table etc can b tied on securely:  :thumbs

I wouldn't want to be following you  :-((( ,  in case  :OldMan  a case  fell off  :fp  :well
rope and wire end OKKY STraps juST don't cut it  with alternatives like Andy STraps
Me3 leaving Toowoomba Rally  had Supercheap brand flat Straps that hooked into ST13 rails with a flat hook. they looked STurdy.
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:07 AM »
Misunderstanding here - "tied on roughly" means tied on for the sake of the foto, nothing else. I used rope and bungee 2 get back from Bunnings. But for trouble-free travel I have Andy-straps type strapping and would use rope and bungees only for secondary security.

And, Alan, even with small loads on the pillion seat, due 2 my cramping problems, I have learnt a direct leg-over technique, usually from right-side with Wyvern on the side-stand. Wyvern goes even redder when I do it, but it works just fine.

These cases r gr8 4 me. I'll use them 4 DIY and when I go long-distance next will use 4 storage. Could b used for many purposes - just the right size and at the moment, the right price. They r water reistant but could b water-proofed easily. Lockable also.

"Illogical Captain".

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 10:17:18 AM »
 :dred11
The inside of those boxes looks good, being adjustable in area's, and if travelling solo when your "going long distance 'next'"     :think1  why not fabricate a flat rack deck and the boxes would tie down easily.. :grin
 :popcorn
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 02:47:29 PM »
Have thought about a "flat rack deck" Johnny, perhaps using a sheet of chequer-board aluminium, but will try an overnighter first at a campground somewhere using the unused 4-person tent bought thru Gumtree recently - enough room 4 me and an annex for Wyvern 2 keep his cackles warm and his dragon scales dry.
 :H

These cases r easy 2 tie down anyway but a deck would provide easy slots 2 slip the straps thru - not sure if the time and xpense is warranted yet tho.

"Illogical Captain".

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
This is one of those Biker Swags sitting atop my fuel cell. None of this sits higher than the top box and the swag is narrower than the top box.

I stow my sleeping bag into one 1/4 of the left hand pannier. Top box can still be opened enough to stuff a jacket liner in.

Close-up shows the bike tie downs used to tie the thing on. Two jobs one item...you never know when a set of tie downs will be handy. Stubby holders to protect swag from strap clamps.

When I built the tank I had swag fastening in mind.

Word of warning. if you intend to use a narrow swag and the grab handles as the anchor then cross the straps as the grab handles are a bit wider than the swag length rolled and it could slip out.

+1 for AndyStrapz product. Never ever had any issue with his straps or soft luggage. My gear has over 120,000km on it and still water proof. The liners work well in the ST luggage to. One red one blue. gear that stays on the bike and gear that goes into a hotel room quick identification no waisted time looking for stuff in the wrong bag. I must test a hotel room one trip just for giggles ;-*
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew