Author Topic: Townsville to tennant creek - a couple of questions.  (Read 2120 times)

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
Townsville to tennant creek - a couple of questions.
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »
Howdy all ...... planning my first ss1600 trip to Tennant creek for the OzSToc RTE.

Got some fuel, timing and other type questions below.

To make the 1610 km I am going north a few km to a servo at Yabulu and then cutting west to go along Harvey's range road, then south on the Gregory development road to Charters towers and then west again AAAaaaaaaaalllllllll the way to Tennant Creek.

I have ridden the Gregory development road and all is fine on there in terms of road quality etc and there is fuel available at Charters Towers 24 hr.

Does anyone have any suggestions on fuel stops  along the way between CH TWRS and Tennant creek?

I have a list of BP and Caltex servos.

My aim is to get to Tennant Creek about 1600hrs. According to Google maps it should take me about 19Hrs and 33 min.  Does anyone know how close to reality Google maps is when undertaking this sort of time measurements?

If it is pretty good then I should aim to leave Townsville at 2100Hrs.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about in terms of logistics?

As far as food and guidance and drinks etc I am pretty much sorted ..... maybe some questions later.

Any help or advice on this trip would be welcomed.

Cheers,
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Townsville to tennant creek - a couple of questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Just to pass the time I looked at your route and possible fuel stops that I would do. The one at Richmond was about the halfway point between Charters Towers and Cloncurry.

https://goo.gl/maps/cJoRioirHHx

I'm not sure on Google travel times but I think they're based on distance/speed limits and don't take into account any stops for fuel or food etc. so it's just average driving times probably based on their car.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
Google Map time estimates seem to be very conservative, and based upon my experience on my last ss1600k, you can expect to get in at least one hour ahead of their estimated travel times.   Don't forget to factor in your time for refueling and breaks.

It would be a good idea to ring any servos that you intend using as refuel stops after normal business hours, just to confirm that they will be open.   From the QLD border and Three Ways, fuel is only available Camooweal (QLD) and Barkey Homestead, but the range is easy on the ST.

Best wishes and safe travels for your first ss1600k.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:55:45 PM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Me_3

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:57:19 PM »
If you have an iphone (and perhaps android) there is an app called "Fuel Map" that I found makes planning easy.

I'd imagine there should be a few 24 hour fuel stops on the way, given that its a major truck route. (I would also throw 5L in a pannier just in case it uses more fuel than you planned as mind did on the run to toowoomba)

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
Spanner, I rode that way last year. Tackleberry signed me out of a servo in the outskirts of Townsville about 12:30 am. I calculated there was no point leaving any earlier because I would arrive in Hughenden and Richmond long before the servos opened.

My recommendation is to leave Townsville at 12:00 am, refuel at Charters Towers, arrive Richmond approx 5:30am. (12:00am + 5:15 riding + 0:15 refuel CT). Google times are conservative but you are riding at night through roo-infested areas. You should easily make the 359 kms between CT and Richmond without carrying fuel.

If you leave Richmond about 6:15 am and take about 15 mins to refuel at Mount Isa (406 kms in 4:23), Camooweal (190 kms in 2:05) and Barkly Homestead (260 kms in 3:09); then ride to TC (211 kms in 2:29) you should get there before sunset (subtract 30 mins time difference). This is where you can do better than Google times but keep your eye on the fuel guage.

I’m not familiar with the extra bit you’re doing out of Townsville. If you’re going to deviate from the shortest route you need to provide “corner” documentation, fuel receipt, ATM receipt, cherry ripe receipt, etc. Check all receipts to ensure they have the location and correct date and time.

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »
Pete and Lionel have hit the nail on the head for you.  I have always phoned the servo's in the outback to check on their timings but will do this during normal business hours.

Unfortunately there are not many 24Hr servos out that way so check your ride timing with the servo's opening times. 

you need to be aware of your bikes fuel consumption when riding at  100Kph and also the difference when you hit 130Kph.  If you have not already, read the "Archive of Wisdom" on the IBA site.

I would suggest  doing more than the 1610Km

Be very aware of the critters that are out there, best wishes for your run
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »
thanks all ...... my fuel economy is around the 6.1 ltrs/100km around town with hard acceleration and cornering. when I am doing a basic 100kp it is around the 5.6lts/100......my best ever was 4.4 lts/100 per tank refill. I think I was driving very slowly behind a whole bunch of trucks and vans so was just puttering along and when ever I had clear road I was for some reason just doing the speed limit......and I think there might have been a tail wind.

I have done a decent ride with aver speeds of around 130 - 150 kph and the juice was visibly draining and was drinking at about 7.9lts/ 100km. That was an expensive little section.

As far as the section in the Tsv section there are 24 hour fuel and CHT TWS has 24 hour fuel stops so that side is no issue but the central QLD is the  issue. If I leave at midnight I wont get into to tenant creek till after night fall and was hoping to get in by 1600 or 1700.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
My trip was based on no 24-hr fuel in Hughenden or Richmond. There was no point in my leaving Townsville before midnight as I would only have to cool my heels in Richmond waiting for the servo to open.
However, the Lights On The Hill roadhouse in Hughenden is now open 24 hours according to a Swedish backpacker who answered the phone there this afternoon. That puts the fuel situation in a different light.
Townsville to Hughenden is approx 380 kms, though I would still refuel at Charters Towers on the way.
Hughenden to Cloncurry is only 400 kms. Then you have no more fuel issues on the way to TC.
As mentioned by someone earlier there are a few 60 and 80 kmh sign-posted zones that extend for about 50 metres either side of a "speed bump" in the 110 zone out west. Its cheaper for the Qld Govt to put up a speed sign than to repair the bad patch of road.
Looking forward to catching up.

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »
Trip canceled for due to family reasons.

Can now do a ss1600 down to Sydney.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008