Author Topic: Which Replacement Headlight Globes for ST1300?  (Read 10500 times)

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Which Replacement Headlight Globes for ST1300?
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »
I've become confused while trying to find my way thorugh the various posts.   I am not keen to fit spotlights to my ST, as I like the nice clean lines and the uncluttered look, but may think differently if I did a lot of night riding.   My prefered option for better lighting therefore comes back to replacing the OEM headlight globes.  I don't want to melt the bitumen at 100 meters, just have soemthing that is brighter that the OEM globes.   I note discussions about adaptor rings.

What is the most appropriate globe to use, that won't risk heat damage the reflector or front "glass"?
Will such a globe just fit straight in, without changes to wiring or other hardware?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:06:19 PM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
Re: Which Replacement Headlight Globes for ST1300?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
I'm not sure about damage to reflector & glass, but I imagine it's a rather large increase to reach that point. The "H4" fitting is what you go for - you only have to cut/break off the 2 lower tabs to get it to fit. The remaining single tab still holds it in place and aligned with no problem, and I don't think you need shims (I didn't).

There are no mods to the bike required.

The ST we get here in Oz is installed with 45watters due to US design restrictions. Simply placing regular 60/55w H4s in there will immediately produce more light, then you can look at blue/white Xenons, etc.... same fitting, same power consumption, just better "quality" light output.

If someone can pass comment about putting H4s in with a much high power output (~100W) I'd be interested to hear too. On Monday night I opted for plain old regular 60/55 as I figured with 100W and bumps in the road you'd have to point your beams down significantly to avoid being flashed by other oncoming vehicles.
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »
It's the three tabs that actually locate the globe in the housing. Bending the lower two tabs will certainly let your globe fit but at upward angle which puts the globe slightly out of alignment. All the shims do is re-align the globe and it's mounted as if the tabs weren't bent.

English ST's use a 60/55W H4 globes as standard.

David Silver Spares has an aftermarket globe available.......33111-S6D-G01HEP for about $US5.00.......Which I might include with my next order from them.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »
Perhaps that's the difference.... I cut my two unwanted tabs off with side-cutters and it fit flush. To verify I turned the lights on with one of each - new and old - & they aligned perfectly on the garage door 30m away. Cutting them is easy as it's very soft metal.
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »
Recently fitted Narva "Intense" 65/55 + 30 in 4200K colour......very happy, small increases in distance, big increase in shadow free area bathed in usable. 2 addition tabs clip with ease.

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:47:03 AM »
StinkyPete.

I replaced mine just after Easter with these Narva Blue 90's from Super Cheap. (3750°K colour and Osram bulbs made in Germany)
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/NARVA-Blue-Power-Globe-H4-12V-60-55W.aspx?pid=287154&menuFrom=30405#Cross

As I didn't have shims either, to get them to fit, I used my pliers to bend the two bottom tabs back, so they created an interference (tightish) fit.  I replaced one, checked it wasn't loose, checked the alignment, was very happy, and replaced the other.  The kit came with two clearance/parker bulbs as well so I changed them as well.   

Last night during my good samaritan run I was able to cruise at the 110+ on low beam and have brilliant visibility and where I got the opportunity to go to high beam  :grin  :thumb  :runyay Awesome.  They're not going to blind truckies or melt the tar, but for what I need they are awesome.  I particularly like that they are not too blue/white on low beam (not too hard for oncoming traffic) and then go white for high beam. 

**** Just something worth noting. ****

If you go to 100 W, you will have to upgrade the headlight fuse. 
This is because two 45 W bulbs = 90 W total draw which is 7.5 Amps.
So two 60 W bulbs = 120 W and that means 10 Amps (This means the 10 Amp fuse is running at it's limit so I must change mine to 15 Amp  :-[) should have thought of that earlier..
So if you have two 100 W you've got 200W total and 16.67 Amps requiring a 20 Amp fuse.

Shiney's most execellent "How To" is posted here http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=3537.new;topicseen#new  I've added my experience details to it as well.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:37:11 AM »
Just a quick question. My ST1300 bought last October, came with HID lights which I find to be adequate but not spectacular. I have not had the opportunity to compare their output to other types.

These High Intensity Discharge lights claim a much higher brightness than standard globes, so why hasn't anyone mentioned them here as an option. Are they overly expensive to replace or are they overrated. Why are they not even getting a mention here? Just curious.  :o
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 07:43:02 AM »
Thanks everyone for the clear advice.  Another forum has suggested that using the shims may actually make fitting the globes a little harder.

The advised procedure therefore seems to be.....
1.     Purchase standard H4 60/55 globes from any auto shop
2.     Snip off the lower two tabs
3.     Fit the globes as usual
4.     No other modifications necessary
5.     Go for a ride with the road bathed in light
6.     Report back to the forum

:thumbsup

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »
Just a quick question. My ST1300 bought last October, came with HID lights which I find to be adequate but not spectacular. I have not had the opportunity to compare their output to other types.

These High Intensity Discharge lights claim a much higher brightness than standard globes, so why hasn't anyone mentioned them here as an option. Are they overly expensive to replace or are they overrated. Why are they not even getting a mention here? Just curious.  :o

They haven't been mentioned because true HIDs usually come in their own driving light set up with a pair of ballasts.  All the bulbs on offer for replacement are varieties of bulb technology, xenon gas etc with filaments, rather than arcs.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »

HID conversions are actually illegal if this is anything to go by. This QLD view point but ADR's are nation wide. http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/headlights

Aftermarket HID conversions

Aftermarket halogen to HID conversions are available however their use on a road registered vehicle will generally result in contravention of the relevant ADRs. Typically these ‘conversions’ comprise ballasts, wiring and HID globes that plug straight into the existing lamp.

Halogen lamps and their globes must comply with ADRs 46 and 51, while HID lamps and their globes must comply with a different set of requirements within ADRs 77 and 78. Interchanging globe types (such as putting HID globes into a lamp designed for a halogen globe) prevents continued compliance of the lamp/globe assembly.

In addition, ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-levelling system and headlight washers. These simple retro conversions don’t provide these features and are therefore likely to be excessively glary to other road users.

If the vehicle manufacturer offered optional HID lights for a particular model then retrofitting the complete system including lamps, globes and the features required by ADR 13 to that model should be acceptable. But ‘grafting’ a full system between models or makes would impose performance certification requirements in the new application and is unlikely to be viable.

HID headlight conversions are not permitted under Qld legislation. However, it is not clear if other Australian states view the issue in the same way. If you operate in another state you should check requirements in your area.

Note also that Queensland's Dept. Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) advises that there is currently no legislation concerning HID conversion of driving lights.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for the clear advice.  Another forum has suggested that using the shims may actually make fitting the globes a little harder.
The advised procedure therefore seems to be.....
1.     Purchase standard H4 60/55 globes from any auto shop
2.     Snip off the lower two tabs
3.     Fit the globes as usual
4.     No other modifications necessary
5.     Go for a ride with the road bathed in light
6.     Report back to the forum

My new H4 60/55 globes are in.  :thumbsup   It took me a frustrating 30 minutes and skinned knuckles to get the first one fitted, and about 10 minute and no injuries or cursing to fit the second.   I'll give her a run tonight and report back, but in the shed in daylight it looks to be a wonderful improvement.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
My new H4 60/55 globes are in.  :thumbsup   It took me a frustrating 30 minutes and skinned knuckles to get the first one fitted, and about 10 minute and no injuries or cursing to fit the second.   I'll give her a run tonight and report back, but in the shed in daylight it looks to be a wonderful improvement.

Don't forget to tell us what you bought, where and how much.
Forget the medical report.  That's normal for mechaniking.  And the tantrum.  Standard procedure.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »
Here's the link to the globes that I have installed.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Calibre-Halogen-Globe-12V-60-55W-Xenon-Blue-Extra-Vision-Performance-2-Pack.aspx?pid=120192#Cross

Took the ST for a spin well after dark and am very, very  happy with the result.   After a little tinkering with the height adjustment, I find the replacement globes to be significantly brighter than the OEM, they penetrate further, and  I suspect that the spread is a little wider.   Overall, a very pleasing result indeed, and well worth the $40 for the pair of globes.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »
Thanks Pete.

Let us all know if anyone finds one of these after-market bulb types does not last very long (I'd expect at least a couple of years, say 50,000 km) out of a bulb, as the OEMs do at least that.

Forums are full of naysayers, and I read some negatives about the lifespan of some "high performance" bulbs.

FWIW, Australian eBay sellers offer a wide range of H4 bulbs, many with free postage, at half the Supacheap and Auto Barn prices.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:41:08 PM by Biggles »

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
The main issue I have read about is that the left hand bulb on the ST13 seems to not last as long as the right hand one.  One factor might be that the left hand side has higher voltage, which tends to decrease life.  Higher performance bulbs have to have some trade off vs life.  narva and others make long life version of H4s, which should have more robust filaments.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

atoyot

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
Slightly OT, but a useful (highly recommended) link regarding HID replacements and issues with them......

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I use a pair of Narva +120's, and can't fault them.

Andrew

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »
 :|||| :||||

Just installed two new NARAVA Blue+90    H4 globes.

Being that this puter just had a fit I probably should have left all mods and jobs alone....you know the thing about stuff that comes in 3's.

Did the little tab bending alteration. Fought with the conector and got the globes in without dropping it on the floor. All hooked up. Hit the switch
AND

What is this mist happening round the globes?

Why is that one turning smoky inside?

Now I know I have not touched the glass. I put the bike out in the sun to bake off any overnight dew. Same with the globes in the pack opened but untouched till install.

Now I have to go back outside and brake a toe >:() that should take care of the third stuffup :cuss

4 hrs latter another trip to Tamworth a second set of globes exchanged for the sus ones and the globes are in clearly better than the 45/45w that came out.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:57:47 PM by Gatey »
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline horizontal

• just a lost sock in the laundramat of life
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 07:20:26 AM »
Please please don't dob me in but I have been running  hid kits in my headlights for nearly 12 months now.  The main reason for this is I also run 4 inch hid spotties mounted under the mirrors.  At night with all lights blazing when you have to drop off the spots and hi beam standard halogen bulbs give me the effect of momentery blindness ie a sence of no lights at all.  hids over come this problem. mine are 35watt 6000k.
 A mate of mine works for dot and he told me 6000k is the highest you can go after that there is no improvement only changing the light color bluer.  If all else fails my defence is I can adjust the lights on the 13 with the knob on the dash. hids give a cleaner light on my bike the hids make the two parking lights look yellow.
                                                                 Cheers Greg
the older i get the better i was

atoyot

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »
Please please don't dob me in but I have been running  hid kits in my headlights for nearly 12 months now.  The main reason for this is I also run 4 inch hid spotties mounted under the mirrors.  At night with all lights blazing when you have to drop off the spots and hi beam standard halogen bulbs give me the effect of momentery blindness ie a sence of no lights at all.  hids over come this problem. mine are 35watt 6000k.
 A mate of mine works for dot and he told me 6000k is the highest you can go after that there is no improvement only changing the light color bluer.  If all else fails my defence is I can adjust the lights on the 13 with the knob on the dash. hids give a cleaner light on my bike the hids make the two parking lights look yellow.
                                                                 Cheers Greg

Hi Greg,

You could try these as replacement parking lights

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-High-Power-CREE-LED-Projector-T10-168-194-W5W-Parking-lamp-3W-Backup-Light-921-/360658837161?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f8f11ea9

as I have a pair, and they make my +120's look yellow! I'm pretty happy with the +120 headlight globes, but then again, I don't have HID driving lights, so the difference between hi and lo is easy to get used to. This seller has a head of different LED's etc, so you might check out his other items as well.

As far as the HID's go, if you can adjust your lights properly, and you don't get any oncoming traffic flashing you :cuss, it's a fair chance your HID's and the standard reflectors are not throwing any light out and dazzling other road users. I agree that HID's are awesome to use, but as they are a totally different shape of light from the standard halogen, they often don't work too well with the standard reflectors designed for halogen globes. The result can be blinding light for oncoming traffic, regardless of how they are adjusted. But if no-one's flashing you, the bulbs might be in a sweet spot within the reflector that doesn't throw light out all over the place. I ride past a guy in a ute going to work most mornings, and he obviously has HID's in his headlights, and every morning when I pass him, I'm blinded. When I flash him, I just get agro back, so I don't bother any more, but I do wonder if one day, someone passing him will the blinded and kill themselves running off the road.

regards
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:44:15 AM by atoyot »

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
:|||| :||||

Just installed two new NARAVA Blue+90    H4 globes.

Being that this puter just had a fit I probably should have left all mods and jobs alone....you know the thing about stuff that comes in 3's.

Did the little tab bending alteration. Fought with the conector and got the globes in without dropping it on the floor. All hooked up. Hit the switch
AND

Now I know I have not touched the glass. I put the bike out in the sun to bake off any overnight dew. Same with the globes in the pack opened but untouched till install.

Now I have to go back outside and brake a toe >:() that should take care of the third stuffup :cuss

4 hrs latter another trip to Tamworth a second set of globes exchanged for the sus ones and the globes are in clearly better than the 45/45w that came out.

Gatey,

Sorry to hear of your dramas, but pleased you got it sorted in the end. :thumb

Now winter is here and I'm coming home in the dark, I'm really enjoying the new light, and drivers who pull put in front certainly know they've been 'flashed' with High Beam.  :grin
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »

I'm surprised the seller accepted the return!  Usually light bulbs are your own risk, because for all the seller knows, you are bringing him a pair that burned out after a long life and pretending that they are ones you just bought.  That's the policy with companies like Jaycar etc, and I can see their point.

Glad you got it beat in time for Bathurst.

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »
Just installed the 60/55 bulbs last night. Makes a huge difference. Thanks for the advice about getting the connectors off the back of the bulbs. Wish I had smaller hands, had heaps of problems getting the holding wire back in on the right hand bulb. I will probably try to find a set of the police brackets and get a set of spotties down the track as I ride a far bit in the dark at this time of the year and planning on doing a road trip in a couple of months time.

Thanks again for all of the helpful hints.

Sean
 :H
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13