Author Topic: Trailer Reflectors/Lighting  (Read 2017 times)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Trailer Reflectors/Lighting
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Soon after I bought our current Classic trailer in Jan 2011 I upgraded the tail lights to LED and I was lucky enough to find a set that matched the OEM ones. The trailer also had amber clearance lights on the side near the rear. Those were replaced with LED Amber/Red clearance lights as well.

About two weeks ago I noticed that the LH leans had a piece missing underneath and after a close look it seemed that the plastic had gone brittle. I decided at that time to either replace the lense of find a better quality LED light set. Sadly lacking on the OEM set and my replacement set was a built in reflector so last week I found a set on E-Bay which that arrived on friday and fitted yesterday.

I was planning on fitting them on the bumper bar but the position may have been a bit low.

2013_0929Reflectors0001 by Alan, on Flickr

Next up was to find a pair of lights of similar dimensions to the OEM set. What makes this hard is finding a set with a built in plate lights and they're as rare as hens teeth on E-bay. So with "Google" supposedly being everyone's friend that's where I went for a picture search and Bingo, one LED light close to what I wanted came up. The picture linked to an Australian wholesaler who sold in lots of ten and  one of the distributors was in SA and the same one that our local hardware shop uses so a trip down there and they've been ordered.

The manager of the shop lives across the road from us and I found out last night that the lights should be here on Monday.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:57:49 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
Re: Trailer Reflectors/Lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
Must be a weekend for fixing trailer lights ........

I had problems matching the tungsten filament OEM side clearance and rear light sets with LED's on my Classic  trailer.  The trailer had the original lights fitted in 1993, so I wasn't really suprised.  The LED's I got off eBay did the trick though.

The Classic has now been replaced with an Elite camper.  LED rears already fiited, but no clearance lamps.  Picked-up some off eBay - something like these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Marker-Clearance-Side-Lamp-Light-For-Trailer-Caravan-Truck-Ute-4X4-12V-24V-/400578357198?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&var=&hash=item5d4454a7ce

Only got two (right side) on so far, after also fitting battery box and battery.  Might get the left side finished tonight.  Got a string of LED light to install too. 

So many jobs, so little time.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:27:37 PM »

Only got two (right side) on so far, after also fitting battery box and battery. 

What size battery box and battery as I wouldn't mind putting one in my trailer? Thanks
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:52:10 PM »
What size battery box and battery as I wouldn't mind putting one in my trailer? Thanks

Battery Box

Bought a while ago, don't remember from whom, on eBay, something like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BATTERY-BOX-LARGE-0890-GREAT-FOR-CARAVANS-RVS-BOATS-/171136070955?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d881352b

Battery

Err, 12volt, dunno amps, sealed ....... ??????

The battery only takes up about have of the box, the other half has a few tools, puncture kit, mini compressor.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better