Author Topic: Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey  (Read 13373 times)

Re: Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 07:15:24 PM »
Day 13 Ride Report

This morning I set out for the west coast, with the plan of going to Derwent Bridge where I turned around a few days (ie. to connect the dots), Queenstown, Strahan and Zeehan.  Whilst checking out the lookout at Upper Burnie I heard the klaxon of a train so watch it make a move.  This is the first moving train I have seen in Taswegia on this adventure.

I took this at Ridgley.  As you can see I had blue skies.  That lasted until Highclere.

Once the rain started I pulled over, put the mobius camera away and replaced it with a gopro and likewise set it to take timelapse photos.  It had take 300+ photos by the time I arrived at the rest area in Guildford (near the Waratah turnoff).

I had a walk around the steam railway at Tullah.  I don't know if it runs.  The Ida Bay railway no longer does.

Good to know they're working on it.  Actually there looked like a bit to see (I vaguely saw a lake) in Rosebery and I'd like to have another look when the weather is better.  I'm here for over a week after the rally and nothing is planned so hopefully I'll get back there.

I rode into town at Queenstown, took a few photos of the station and proceeded to look for a service station.  Having not found one on the main drag returned to the highway assuming it was on the main road saw the sign no fuel for 86km so u-turned and rode up and down every little street before finding the caltex.  After refuelling I asked the shop attendant what was between there and Derwent Bridge.  She told me I'd see nothing given the weather so my next question was where was a good place for breakfast.  Her question was what sort of breakfast do you want?  I hadn't eaten anything but wasn't overly hungry, I just wanted to defrost so she said go to the train station cafe as they had a log fire.  Sold!

Making my way there I spotted two ST's parked undercover at the Oasis hotel so I parked behind them.  I wondered if I'd see them in the cafe but I didn't.

I parked behind these two outside the Oasis hotel in Queenstown.  Both had Victorian number plates, one had an Ozstoc sticker on it.

That is Dennis & Diane on the  :dred11 and
Neil and Val on the  :slvr13

Breakfast done, coffee done and more importantly body defrosted so it was back on the bike, with a change of gloves.  Even though I have water proof covers for gloves that work briliantly stopping for photos in the rain and putting wet hands back in eventually caught up with me and they were quite wet inside.  I aborted the Derwent Bridge leg and headed for Strahan.

Whilst not perfect I did see a bit at a lookout between Strahan and Zeehan.

Like Rosebery Zeehan is another place I'd like to look at again if I can go back on a nicer day.

I stopped under the canopy of a now defunct servce station in Tullah on the way back down to change the sd card in the dashcam (should have done it in Queenstown).

At Yollo the sun came out so the gopro was out away and the mobius brought back out.

Back at Camp Banksia I opted to do some washing, mostly to dry the clothes that got drenched today.  PC and Navgirl arrived here today and I had a bit of a talk with them.

I went for a walk around the area after I checked in yesterday.  I got the feeling I was the only person in the complex.  Today there are a few more vehicles here.  I don't know what the proper name for this bird is but Phil referred to them as turbo chickens.  That's a good description.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:29:11 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2019, 07:19:34 PM »
Day 14 Ride Report

After yesterday's drenching between Ridgley and Queentown, Strahan and Zeehan and back down again my boots were wet inside.  They've been perfect in the past so I am guessing it's developed a leak somewhere.  In order to keep my socks dry I resorted to putting plastic bags around my feet for today's trip.

Destination for today was Stanley.  I did some gunzelling at Wynyard on the way out.

I thought I'd check out Smithton before going into Stanley and the side road said 15km to Edith Creek so I thought I'd ride that road until the tarmac ran out, but in Trowutta it didn't look like doing that so I turned around.  I'd had plenty of rain by then.

It sort of abated by Smithton.

Original plan was to run the A2 until it finished at Marrawah.  This sign at Redpa suggested the road to Arthur River was sealed and the other sign said 22km so I decided to go there.

It was there I opened google maps to see where exactly I was and noticed the Tarkine Road would take me back to Smithton so I said sod it, let's do that. I had planned to do the Marrawah/Redpa Comeback Road on the way back but this change of mind meant I didn't go back.  I crossed the Arthur River at this bridge and back again at Roger River (locality, not the river).

Anyway, that was the best decision I made as the Tarkine Road was an awesome ride.  The rain had gone and the roads were dry, and with many twisties and nothing to stop for I throttle it a bit.  There were lots of rumble strips but with a gap in the middle just the right size for the kwaka's tyres lining them up and motoring through added to the exhilaration.

That was at the turn off for Corinna.  That road was dirt and wet as so I opted to park the bike on the 'footpath' so that the stand wouldn't sink into the ground.

One thing I have missed in Tasmania are these distance markers.  On the mainland you see them every ten kilometres but I think I have only seen four on this island.

As said above, I crossed the Arthur River again here at Roger River.  I did enjoy walking across this bridge (and back).

Eventually the Tarkine would take me back to Trowutta, Edith Creek and Irishtown which I had traversed earlier.  The other day I posted a picture of a bird in Fingal.  I hit one of them in Irishtown so I pulled up at the first safest location and assess the damage.  There wasn't any.  Phew !  The blueskysea dashcam should get a good close up of it, but I shan't be viewing it until I get back on the mainland.

By this time I was content with the Tarkine road on the West Coast I was quite happy to ditch Stanley and fiti it in next week, but when I got back on the A2 it said 7km so bugger it.  I went.  It looks like this is another roadhouse that has bitten the dust.

After checking out Stanley I pretty much rode straight back to Port Sorell, only stopping to refuel at Somerton. PC and Navgirl had arrived here yesterday.  Phil had dropped in and PC came over to invite me to join them for coffee.  After a shower and clean up I did.  Later Ppopeye and his other half, Rex and Debbie, JD and Chippy also rocked up so we had a bit of a social gathering.

As others left I too returned home to cook dinner.  Just as I finished cleaning up there was a knock on the door.  LindsayGT said hello and advised me Johnny and Wendy had also arrived.

I bought these yesterday so I might just crack one open.  I am looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:05:40 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
Another great report. 
Richo

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2019, 10:09:12 PM »
Another great report.
I am reading with some envy, and getting ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Bodø

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2019, 03:56:56 AM »
I am reading with some envy

That's how I felt about Mackay last year seeing all the facebook posts and photos.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2019, 07:16:21 AM »
Reading this in Bodo's "lounge" having rocked in half an hour ago.  I saw PC and Marion when I arrived. Bodo has gone shopping and I'm catching up on the posts. It looks like the wet weather has gone to NZ and we will have clear skies for the Rally.
There were about 8 Stocers on the Spirit and we had a mini RTE in the lounge while waiting for the disembarkation.  The others have gone their separate ways pending check-in opening here.
My SPOT is active again for the duration of my Tassie time.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=20d775dc0b65617644&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, Kev Murphy

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »
Day 15 Ride Report

Only a short ride to Westbury today collecting some big things and a bit of shopping.  I was doing my usual thing this morning when about an hour or so after I woke up the fire alarm went off.  I checked to see if I had turned the stove off (I had) so perplexed walked out side.

PC had also come outside so I asked if his was going off.  It was so I was relieved it wasn't just mine.  A school camp has been on here the last three days and the students had all congregated in the evacuation assembly area.  PC, Navgirl and myself also made our way there.

Part of me thought it may have been a drill for the students (with the purpose of getting them out of bed) but teachers assured us that wasn't the case.

The manager rocked up not long after and it was a little while before the firetrucks did.

I see these three are all wearing different colors.  I wonder if there is a reason behind it (cue Phil S. to enlighten me). 

Eventually the all clear was given and we made our way back to our rooms.  We even joked about sending Diesel a text saying "you might need to find another venue".  Biggles rode in about half an hour after that.

After greeting him and a bit of a chat I went for a ride.  This is the first time I didn't have the orange gear on (although the jacket did come out eventually).

Until today I had only seen two solitary wind turbines but a whole heap of blades stacked up near Somerton so I presume a wind farm is going to be built soon.  This small one is probably the first one I have seen without a solid tower and had a frame I could actually look through.  That was at Wesley Vale, just a few kilometres from Port Sorell.

Oh what joy, roadworks in Exton.

I took the opportunity to get a selfie.  Tourists !

I was making my way to Westbury to bag the big cricket stumps.

I captured the big potato as Sassafras and big cherries at Latrobe on the way back.

Objective achieved it was back to Port Sorrell.  I did some grocery shopping at Woolworths in Shearwater.  Johnnyyted and Wendy were turning is as I rode out.

In the next few hours I expect a lot more ST's and odd impostor to start rolling in.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:14:20 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2019, 01:11:51 PM »
False alarm will cost them unless it's a drill/test but they have to notify time and date before hand.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Bodø

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2019, 06:17:02 AM »
All of us lost souls who couldn't make it are waiting to see some reports or photos..........    :popcorn :popcorn

Bodø

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2019, 06:37:51 AM »
I've registered to attend, but won't be able to make it. If one of the SA contingent can't transport it back, I'll top up the order to cover postage.

I should be able to bring it back for you, if you don't mind it being carried by a kwaka.

I have it in my possession.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Bodø

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
Day 16 Ride Report (Sheffield RTE)

Woke up quite early and pottered around for a bit before deciding to go for a walk.  I snapped all the bikes at Camp Banksia before going to the beach.  It was a tad fresh so out cam the jeans. Harrington and beanie.

Back at the camp it was time for a spot of breakfast.  My first hot breakfast since defrosting in Queenstown a few days ago.  As it stands the weather forecast for Queenstown is to be fine(r) on wednesday so if that doesn't change befor then that's what I'll do.

I opted to take Diesel's tour to the RTE.  Thanks for all you work Diesel and also to everyone else who has helped to put this event together.

I wasn't the only one to take Diesel's tour.

The venue for today's RTE was Sheffield, home of Def Leppard.  Oops, wrong Sheffield.

Wild Rose is down here too, but that hasn't stopped him sending out happy birthdays to the relevant forumites.

I can now say I have seen snow on this trip.  I haven't got as close to it as PC and Navgirl though.

We rode up to Gowrie Park and did a u-turn and waited for a bit which had me sctratching my head (metaphorically speaking as it's hard to do with a helmet on).  All made sense when I spotted ST2UP and Sicman taking photos.  I guess I'll see them one day.

Back at base it was time to line the bikes up for the group photos.  I managed to get the kwaka in the middle for a change.

A2Z saw me taking a selfie and said that he'd never seen a camera where you can flip the screen to see what yu're doing, so I got one with him as well.

I've been flag bearer for South Australia.  I took it down last night to put in the bike so I didn't forget it today only to be scolded by Wendy and made to put it back in the dining room.

Somehow the kwaka ended up being the one between the Australia and Tasmania flags which I thought was pretty cool.

Now excuse me as I have a dinner to attend.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, Kev Murphy, Bloodman, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Bodø

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2019, 09:07:11 PM »
A couple of shots from the dinner.

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Shiney, richo, Kev Murphy, Bloodman, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2019, 04:49:35 PM »
Day 17 Ride Report

We had glorious weather all day.  Wet weather gear stayed locked away in a pannier all day, although the hiviz orange jacket I did wear for most of the day.  That said, I am currently sitting in my room in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt without the heating on, a first since arriving on the island.  Special thanks to Diesel for taking us on another great ride.

Sometimes I think I have supernatural powers because I see things that other people don't, like that stop sign at the level crossing Moltema.

Unfortunately about half an hour after that in Red Hills one of us dropped his bike.  Fortunately he got up without a scratch but the bike (as he put it) now has some character scratches.  Dusted off we proceeded to Deloraine for some coffee.

We were there for about forty minutes.  Then we did some minor roads before hitting the A5 to the Great Lakes.  That portion of road on my first day after disembarking from the boat.  Johnny let rip a little in Golden Valley.

For the last two days we have also had a support vehicle.  Those guys have also done an amazing job and I for one appreciate their hard work.

We all appreciated the view, me for a second time.

Then it was off to Central Plateau to see the Highand Lakes.  When I came here the week before last the coffee van wasn't here.

Nature called so I discretely went to nature.

The final stop was going for ice cream at Elizabeth Town's Van Dieman's Creamery.  I don't think I've ever uttered the words I'm going for ice cream before.

After that we went our separate ways.  I refuelled near base and then went and had a look at Hawley Beach.  I contemplated parking the bike on the ramp for a photo before opting not to.

I knew there was a guy fishing when I zoomed in to take this but it wasn't until seeing it on the computer I noticed there was a second person there.

I think there is far less people in the camp this evening and no doubt tomorrow will be even fewer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:52:35 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, Kev Murphy, Bloodman, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
Day 18 Ride Report

Today was my fourth consecutive 'short' ride.  Friday I wanted to be back in Port Sorell for meet and greet and saturday and sunday were national rally related.  Today however, the kwaka needed new tyres so that was factored in to my plans.  I wanted to check out Poatina and last night someone (I think it was Wild Rose) said it snowed in Miena and showed me a photo so I headed out that way.  This was in Breona on the way.

The was no snow to be seen.  On the road to Poatina from there I got stuck behind a log lorry for quite some time.  Once I got past it I could let rip (well to a certain extent).  I saw a great lookout but didn't have time to stop.  It would be ages before I had the chance to turn around and I didn't like the idea of being stuck behind that lorry again so I kept going.  Only to get stuck behind a second lorry.  I think it overtook me when I was taking photos in Longford.

Ah, those roadworks in Exton again.

No selfie, but I did snap a Merseylink bus this time.

Then it was a straight dash to Spreyton Motorcycles.  I saw West Aussie Glen and his Goldwing in Latrobe on the way there.

It turned out being a Kawasaki dealership.

They even had a Versys 1000 (2018) in there.  Black though is not my choice of color, basically for safety reasons.

Whilst having tyres fitted I got brunch at the bakery next door.  I'd have bought a drink too if they had lime milk.  They didn't so it was just a wrap for me.  They didn't have tables or chairs either so I sat on a street bench.  There I ate my food and booked my accommodation for Mudgee.  A train went through but I didn't have a chance to snap it.  Then I went for a walk to the level crossing.  I could have got some good shots if I knew it was coming.

New tyres on and then it was a scenic ride home.

I also snapped the big apple in Spreyton.  It's my third big apple after the ones in Acacia Ridge (qld) and Balhannah (sa).

This sign saying Earl Town intrigued me.  Google maps doesn't recognize it but google search takes you to the Latrobe wikipedia page.  Said page doesn't even mention Earl Town.

I spotted this bovinae at the same spot.

Motorsport doesn't interest me generally but I have enjoyed speedway in the past.

This colorful flower was in Squeaking Point.

Back at base I've polished my second last Guinness.  Whether I knock of the last one is like a glass coffin... remains to be seen.  Tonight I'll probably return to my normal sleeping hours and from tomorrow longer road trips.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:11:43 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, richo, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2019, 06:28:41 PM »
 :clap. Another great report.  Thanks for the good read
Richo

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »
Lots of interesting things to see in Tassie if you keep your eyes peeled. You were gone when I got up. Hope I wasn't messing with your usual sleep pattern too badly.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Bodø

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2019, 02:46:07 AM »
No you didn't.  More down to socializing in the meal room at times I would normally be in bed.  :eat :beer
I absolutely enjoyed it, but despite going to bed late the body insisted on waking up at the same time.

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
Day 19 Ride Report

Last night I did my first cooking since last thursday.  In Victoria I discovered I left my cutlery set at home.  Fortunately the Camp Banksia kitchen is fully stocked.  They even have chopsticks.  It's not the first time I've used metal ones.  Stainless steel chopsticks are the norm in South Korea, but what are those weird round things at the end?

Okay, I know they are skewers but they did the trick.

Today's ride turned out to be a long one.  Last week my trip to Queenstown I copped a drenching and aborted going to Derwent Bridge.  The rain did wash away all the mud the kwaka was covered in from Cockle Creek.  With good weather forecast for that region today I decided to give it another crack.  I wasn't happy when I hit rain in Guildford.

Fortunately it cleared upby the time I got to Tullah.  Roadside waterfalls like this are very reminiscent of countryside Japan.  I saw a few but not in places where it was safe to stop.  This was in Rosebery.

More roadworks in Renison Bell.

The vehicle behind be overtook me over double solids and then overtook the ute in front of me over double solids and flew off into the distance.

There is a big collection of these at the service station at Queenstown.

As you can see the weather cleared up and I had good weather for the rest of the day.

Then the spatlese who overtook us over the double solids in the wet came and asked me how slippery the roads were (by which point I knew who he was as he got out that car), told me I was too slow (and I guess the ute too).  I told him he was a bellend.

I'm glad I came back and did this because the ride from Queenstown to Derwent Bridge was a good ride.  I wouldn't have had this view of Queenstown last week.

I went to check out the wall in Derwent Bridge before heading back the way I came.

There was still a bit of snow about, but not near the road.

I popped into Lake Burbury on the way down.

Generally it's me letting other bikes overtake in the hills but on this leg I overtook a harley and triumph (both sporting SA number plates).  They overtook me when I stopped for photos and I'd pass them again.  This happened a few times before we both pulled into the same spot at Gormanston so we had a bit of a talk.  They were from Adelaide's north eastern suburbs.

They went into Queenstown, but as I had been there in the morning I skipped it opting to refuel in Zeehan.  There's only two fuel service stations in Zeehan and both have unattended prepaiid machines.  At the second one I asked someone who was also refueling if there was anywhere to pay cash for fuel to which I was told go to the store across the road and they'd do it for you.  I did and got fuel.  The people running the shop have a property up the road that they're in the process of making into motorcycle rider accommodation.  Her husband is a rider too.

I had wanted to go back to Zeehan to take photos of the railway stuff their but after all this stuffing around with fuel completely forgot about it and rode on to Corinna.  I doubt many ST's have taken this ferry.

Generally when I take these ferries I don't shut the bike down but I did on this occasion.

At the other side the kwaka wouldn't start with the symptoms of a flat battery.  I'm guessing I left the key in with all the lights on but it wasn't that long.  With a jump start we were going again and I didn't shut it down until I refuelled in Port Sorell.  It did start after that so that's a relief.

I did stop and take a photo fo this at Mooreville.

I understand the sentiment but it'll be hard for the driver to see you if you hide inside.

Back at base I noticed the last caravan had gone and my two neighbors have moved out.  I didn't need to turn on the heater and it's still not on.  Time for bed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:51:48 PM by Bodø »

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2019, 12:13:23 AM »
Day 19 Ride Report

I understand the sentiment but it'll be hard for the driver to see you if you hide inside.

https://youtu.be/Xg8M-8BqTGs  :grin

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: richo

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2019, 12:54:10 AM »
Another really interesting ride report Bodø, well done!
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Bodø

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2019, 04:33:27 AM »
Day 19 Ride Report

https://youtu.be/Xg8M-8BqTGs  :grin

I've got a video of me riding through a tunnel in Japan with the Timelords' version of "Doctoring The Tardis" on it.  I'll have a look for it when I get back to Adelaide.

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy, ruSTynutz

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »
Day 20 Ride Report

I have now surpassed my 2017 Halls Gap RTE that had me arriving home on day nineteen.  Eighteen days to get there, one day to get home.  Both that trip and this trip I kicked off on the first of the month, so it's easy to know what day of the trip it is.

Bodø

Yes, for a change I headed east today.  Probably for the rest of my stay I'll be alternating from east to west as I slowly rode roads closer to base.  Who knows, by the end they'll probably be close enough to do a loop.  I left in fine weather and had a look at East Sassafras.

The kwaka's odometer clocked up 110'000km in Hagley.  It doesn't seem all that long ago since it clocked up 100'000km in Murray Bridge on the way to Smythesdale.

I passed this car wreck in Springfield back when I was based in Swansea so sort of had an inkling it might still be there.  Someone failed to negotiate a corner.  The driver's side window had "reported" written on it.

Another service station that has bitten the dust.  There are quite a few of them on Tasmania.  This one was in Scottsdale.  It's the first one I have seen the pumps wrapped up in plastic.

This letter box was in Bridport.  All I could think was something along the lines of collecting your mail from a pig's a***.

I didn't know that Tasmania had such a long straight road.  Anyway we found it and it was bloody gravel!!!

I rode it today.  There's still gravel on it, but I guess they're working on it.  I encountered roadworks at Boobyalla.

It may be a secret but I found it, unless the secret is the yellow grafitti on the sign.

Some random biker back in Bridport.

I couldn't get the kwaka up to the lighthouse in Low Head.

This little critter was on it.  It was less than 2cm long but it looks like a red preying mantis.

I rode into Bell Bay because it was on the map.  It's nothing more than an industrial area and a port.  I couldn't go into the port, but could zoom in on it from the lookout.

A lot of people mentioned the Batman Bridge at the rally.  I stumbled across it in Hillwood and took a few photos before riding over it.  In hindsight I should have walked across it.  I've walked across a lot of bridges on this trip.

Beaconsfield is pretty famous these days.  I did have a look at the mine museum.

I'm not sure what (s)he is looking at but I bet they have a bird's eye view.

By the time I got to Greens Beach I was feeling a bit peckish so I decided if the takeaway had lime milk I'd have lunch.  They did so I had lunch on the road.  That has been rare on this trip.

There's some derelict buildings in Tasmania too.  I think there is a wicked witch buried under that.

I stopped to take photos of this tractor and bicycle at Holwell.  The owner came outside, got in his car and drove up to talk to me.  He said it's the most photographed tractor in Australia.  I doubt that, but it was good enough to make me stop.

Final task of the day was to refuel at Shearwater in preparation for the next day's ride.  It's been a daily ritual since I arrived in Port Sorell.  I think the guy in there knows me by now and has stopped asking me "cash or card?" which almost every service station here does.  They also seem surprised when you say cash.  I did chuckle at this product's name.  I love this country's sense of humor.

Back at base and Camp Banksia is officially a ghost town now.  For the second straight day I haven't had to put the heater on and it's actually quite hot inside.  I almost out on the air conditioner.   The news says it's hot as hell back in Adelaide.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:55:14 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, Kev Murphy, ruSTynutz

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2019, 08:28:53 PM »
Hey Bodø, it reached 39 here in Portland today! ... The hydrants were bribing the dogs!
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
Day 21 Ride Report

As I suggested yesterday today I headed east.  I saw a Toll ship approaching Burnie port so I pulled into Blythe Heads at Heybridge to try and get a photo of it.  I did, but upon looking at today's photos on the laptop realized it wasn't any good.  I also had a look for these penguins but didn't see any.

I opted to take the C102 today and pulled into the first lookout at Round Hill.  With three viewing platforms at that one you get a good a view in all directions.

I even got a better shot of the ship I saw at Blythe Heads.  By now it was in the port.

Next stop, Natone.

There I spotted a Buses R Us bus parked up.  I've seen quite a few of these all over Tasmania now but this is the first time I had been able to photograph one.  It may not interest many people here, but the South Australian version of Buses R us went into liquidation quite some time ago so seeing them here was a bit of a surprise.  The photo was more for showing to workmates as opposed to posting on Ozstoc.

In Upper Natone I saw mostly cattle but there was one goat.

I hit the Ridgley Highway at Hampshire.  I've seen a lot of that highway now.

I pulled into this rest area at Guildford every time I've gone through here.  I know there's a comfort stop there but today it was nice to see it dry for a change.

I looked inside the building for the first time today, half expecting it to be locked but was pleasantly surprised how clean it was inside.

This was the purpose of today's ride.  Riding to Cradle Mountain.  This lorry driver waved to me as he went by.

Belvoir Road was an awesome ride.  I snapped this from the top of the Black Buff lookout.  That too gave you a 360℃ view after a 200m walk to the top.  It was windy as shiraz which made taking photos difficult.  I could barely keep still.

The vandalism seen on Google Street view is no longer there.

Speaking of Google Street view, Biggles said we past one of their vehicles in Latrobe after lunch on the Sheffield RTE.  I must admit I didn't see it, but it's in my list of places to check that I past such a vehicle this year.  I also passed out outside Bridport yesterday.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I saw this sign and thought yeah I'll check that out.

Turned in to find it was closed.

This sign reminded me of working at Raging Thunder Adeventures in Cairns in the early nineties.  Our Barron River white water rafting trip relied on the power station releasing water for us to have enough water for the trip.  As a result some days we had one trip, others two or three.

I've lost count of how many bridges I have walked across now.  Kicking myself I didn't walk across the Batman yesterday.

The lookout may have been closed but I could ride up to the top of the dam on the other side of the river and saw this boat.

I only wanted the photo of the locality sign but the locals were interested to see what I was doing.

I refuelled at Mole Creek which was a bit of a hassle.  I put the nozzle in the tank waiting for it to pump only for a lady to come out and say it won't pump until I swipe a card.  I told her I wanted to pay cash to which she said you can't.  "Why not?  It's legal tender" was my response to which she said "It's not my store, I am just looking after it for the owner".  Then she disappeared out the back.  Eventually some guy came out asking "what's this about legal tender?".  I explained I wanted to pay cash and he said okay, how much do you want?  Well I want to fill it up so I don't know.  I had this problem in Zeehan on tuesday.  Anyway, I got fuel and moved on to the purpose of being in Mole Creek, bagging the big Tasmanian Devil.  I couldn't actually park in front of it because the ground was too soft.

The ground in front was so soft because they are doing road works.  This lorry sprayed the dust as I was mucking around taking photos.  Today is my first day I've really got bombarded with insects since arriving on Tasmania so he was welcome to 'wash' the kwaka.

I went to Deloraine to check out some of the things Diesel showed us but couldn't photograph because it was a group ride.

I rode through Latrobe looking for the big platypus (which I had seen before) but missed it on my way to Spreyton.  I was going to Spreyton Motorcycles to buy some chain lubricant as my current can ran out.  Cue people to remind me that ST's don't have a chain.  Pulling out of there the level crossing lights went off so I stopped and snapped the train.

I've yet to see a level crossing with boom gates in Tasmania.

I was back at base by 1330 so quite early for me.  Now I am off to plan a course for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:02:09 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, Kev Murphy, Bloodman, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
Another great ride report Bodø, and backed with fantastic photos. Thank you! :thumb
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com