Author Topic: Oil Leak Drive Shaft  (Read 2872 times)

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
Oil Leak Drive Shaft
« on: October 26, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
I recently replaced the oil in my drive shaft and after it was filled the bike developed and oil leak at the front of the drive shaft but only after a long or fast run. Has anyone seen this issue before?
Not sure if I need to remove the shaft and check for faulty oil seals, the other thing that comes to mind is the breather which if blocked could cause the leak due to heat build up in the shaft.
Any suggestions appreciated.
cheers
Keith
 :blk11
Keith
05 ST1300

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Oil Leak Drive Shaft
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
The oil is for the diff gears and does not go into the shaft itself.  If it only happened after changing the oil I would suspect something to do with excessive oil level or the type of oil. Differential and not gearbox oil should be used, GL4/5 rated.  There should not be a build up in pressure if the breather is working.

Otherwise perhaps it is just coincidence and a seal is leaking, but this is very uncommon, or at least hardly anyone reports a problem.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »
As SAAZ has said, the drive shaft is dry. The final drive only holds 30cc of hypoy 80 gear oil.

If there is oil at the front of the shaft, then there may be a slight leak at the engine output seal.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:04 AM »
Funny that the leak only appeared after I replaced the oil in the diff and the leak showed up around the front foot peg. Maybe the oil is leaking at the diff and runnng down the drive shaft to the lowest point on the bike.
Might need to have a better look.
Keith
05 ST1300

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
I would have a look at the rear of the bike, as mine has the slightest of weeps from around the alternator that does not drip, but I degrease when I remember.  Leaks around there are known to happen.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
I would have a look at the rear of the bike, as mine has the slightest of weeps from around the alternator that does not drip, but I degrease when I remember.  Leaks around there are known to happen.

TRUE John , but that's on the left...isn't this Chap saying the leak is on the drive side...the right? :think1 My blue bike to has a self lubricating gear lever...hope you manage to get it a quick wipe over for me last Friday :wink1...but I haven't seen the weep make it's way to the starboard side :crazy

Basadia, permission to ask a silly question...the bike was on the centre and not the side stand when you undertook changing the final drive oil...yes? If the origin of the weep is on the right side it does sound as if the final drive is perhaps over lubricated...much like I was on Saturday nite :-(((

Just a thought,

Ciao, the can :)