Author Topic: Tassie - Monday 3 March to Friday 14 March 2014  (Read 8074 times)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Tassie - Monday 3 March to Friday 14 March 2014
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
A mate (Phil) and I'll be arriving Devonport on the ferry on the morning of Monday 3 March and leaving on the evening of Friday 14 March 2014.

Only commitments so far are:
  • Thursday 6 March - camping at Lake Leake
  • Friday 7 March - staying at Edinburgh Gardens B & B in Hobart
  • Saturday 8 & Sunday 9 March - camping at Lake Leake

Thursday to Sunday there will be around 25 - 30 AusTourers http://www.austouring.com/forum/index.php for our AGM.

The days before and after the AGM are free, but Phil and I have a hankering for few days down south (Southport, Cockle Creek, Nubeena (near you Couch?), Port Arthur, Queenstown and Strathgordon), and also the north west (Stanley, Smithton & Arthur River).

Phil's currently got a busted foot, so arrangements very unsure at this stage.  This because Phil does not know if he's taking his ST (Triumph Sprint - which does like dirt), XT600 - which likes dirt, Land Rover Disco or even buy a outfit he's had his eyes on).   I suppose we'll know soon ....... !!!!

Anyway, a catch-up with some of the locals may be in order, if only to find out latest info on roads and places of interest.

Hoping to hear from some of you.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
Re: Tassie - Monday 3 March to Friday 14 March 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
Aren't you lucky to be coming touring around our beautiful Tassie, don't tell too many people about how good it is though, we like to keep it a secret!! :-(((

Port Arthur, Nubeena.............right on my doorstep, definately let me know when you're round about and we'll catch up for coffee/tea (whatever), I'll PM you my mobile number, I hope we can catch up mate! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »
.... PM you my mobile number.....

PM received, your no. saved, my no. sent.

Don't know if we'll be down your way on the days before or after Lake Leake (7, 8 & 9 March).  Before is preferred because after Lake Leake I have to be up north to drop-off Mrs W at Launceston for her flight home.

Is the weekend 7, 8 & 9 March a long weekend in Tassie, like it is in Victoria?

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
Yes, it's a long weekend! :runyay 

If possible, and if time permits, you might like to take the road from Devonport to Launceston, then through Scottsdale, St Helens, and then down the East Coast through Bicheno, on your way to Lake Leake, you'll find it a far more interesting and scenic ride rather than travelling down the Midland Highway to Campbelltown, and then to Lake Leake. Also if possible when you're heading south you'll find it a nice ride through Swansea, Orford, Sorell, etc on your way to Port Arthur/Nubeena, much more interesting than the Midland Highway, unless of course you're intending to drop in to Ross or Oatlands, which are certainly worth having a look at.
It's  a really nice ride to Strathgordon, I'm sure you'll enjoy that. :thumbs On your way to Queenstown (yuk) drop in to Lake St Clair, it's also well worth a look. I very strongly suggest you avoid riding at night anywhere on country roads in Tassie, there is so much wildlife here it's fraught with danger, it doesn't matter how slow or carefully you ride, they jump straight out in front of you and are impossible to avoid. >:() I know of two riders from our area who have gone straight over the handle bars after hitting wallabies, and then there are large wombats, and heaps of possums, etc. Plenty of daylight hours to ride at the moment though, it doesn't start getting dark until 9.00pm. :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
..... the road from Devonport to Launceston, then through Scottsdale, St Helens, and then down the East Coast through Bicheno......nice ride through Swansea, Orford, Sorell, etc on your way to Port Arthur/Nubeena......Ross or Oatlands, which are certainly worth having a look at.......a really nice ride to Strathgordon, I'm sure you'll enjoy that......

Ah, so many good roads and options.

No matter what we decide upon there will be some riding of roads duplicated.  My preference is to set up a base at Maydena (a bit out of the way, but a mate has offered his holiday house there and I'm waiting on conformation).  Failing that I'll set-up the camper trailer and Phil his tent at the back of the Hamilton pub (comes recommended by others) as we get to use their showers and toilets in turn for spending a few bucks on meals and beers.

Which ever works out, either will be a good base for day rides to Strathgordon, Strahan (and I like Queenstown), Southport, Hastings (have you been to the hot springs?) & Cockle Creek (what's the road like?), and Port Arthur & Nubeena.  Let me know if you are interested in leading the way on any of these days.

After those few days it's off to Lake Leake on the Thursday, set-up camper, then up to Launceston to pick-up Mrs W, back to Lake Leake.  On the Friday it's off to Hobart (via a scenic route, probably down the east coast), an evening at the James Squire Tavern, over night at Fawlty Towers (err, Edinburgh Gardens B&B), Salamanca Markets Saturday morning, then back to Lake Leake Saturday & Sunday, and then drop Mrs W back at Launceston Monday afternoon. 

The balance of the second week will be setting-up a base somewhere (around Somerset comes recommended, and there's a Suzuki GSX 1400 outfit I'd like to look at if it's not sold be then) and enjoying more of Tassie's roads.  Couta Rocks or Crystal Rocks (not sure which) is a must - Phil reckons he's got a crayfish connection there.

Then again, first and second week might be reversed.

Lots of things planned, and with the exception of the long weekend, nothing organised.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:53:03 PM »
It seems like you know your way around the Apple Isle Michael, if you do stay at Hamilton take the time if possible to take the road to Bothwell it's only about 4kls south of Hamilton, and it's a fantastic little stretch of road, it's only about 30kls to Bothwell so it's good for a there and back run, I've ridden this road and never seen a vehicle, it's well worth the ride!! :grin

"Queenstown" :eek

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
......seems like you know your way around the Apple Isle ...... Hamilton to Bothwell ........ a fantastic little stretch of road ...... it's well worth the ride......

Only done the highways in a rental camper on our honeymoon nearly 40 years ago, and more recently in Mrs W's Mazda.

It's some of the secondary roads that I'd like to know more about, so thanks for that recommendation.

What about the road to Cockle Creek (if you've driven or ridden that one)?  I know its around 30km of gravel from near the Hastings thermal pool turn-off to the end, but I'd like to go to the southern end of trafficable roads in Australia.  It's on the 'bucket list', just like Cape York. 

Some of the roads around the Tasman Peninsula look (from Google Maps anyway) worth riding.  Is the Saltwater River Road to the historic coal mine site worthwhile?   And Nubeena, will it take long to get the jug be on the boil when we get to your neighbourhood?

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
Unfortunately I've never been to Cockle Creek, so I can't help you there, but I personally wouldn't fancy riding the ST 30kls on gravel and then having to return the same way, but then, a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do!!  Ha!! :clap

The Arthur Highway, (road to Nubeena) from Sorell, isn't too bad at all, it has a couple of little rough spots but they're working on those areas and improving them at the moment, it's a ride I always enjoy! Once you arrive at Taranna you can reach Nubeena either by going through Port Arthur or via the scenic route through Koonya and Premadena, I suggest going through Port Arthur, it's only about 6kls further but it's a much better road, the Koonya road's a bit rough, we're currently trying to get something done about it. The Saltwater River Road is not what you'd call a good ride, however saying that, the Historic Coal Mine site is well worth having a look at and the road is quite scenic, it's bitumen all the way, just a little rough in spots, as is the road through Koonya/Premadena. 
The jug'll be well and truely boiling before you arrive mate.

What about the road to Cockle Creek (if you've driven or ridden that one)?  I know its around 30km of gravel from near the Hastings thermal pool turn-off to the end, but I'd like to go to the southern end of trafficable roads in Australia.  It's on the 'bucket list', just like Cape York. 

Some of the roads around the Tasman Peninsula look (from Google Maps anyway) worth riding.  Is the Saltwater River Road to the historic coal mine site worthwhile?   And Nubeena, will it take long to get the jug be on the boil when we get to your neighbourhood?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:14:45 AM by Couch »

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:06 AM »
All good info, thanks.
XX YYYYYYYY Street, Nubeena.

Your address is open to the public to view.  Might not be a good idea.  Do you or one of the mods want to hide it?

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:33 AM »
Thank you for your concern Michael, I don't owe anyone money, and I don't think anyone's after me, however, you're probably right, it might not be a good idea to show my address so I've removed it.
Cheers,
Baz  :grin

All good info, thanks.
XX YYYYYYYY Street, Nubeena.

Your address is open to the public to view.  Might not be a good idea.  Do you or one of the mods want to hide it?

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
My best guess is this is some of Couch's view from his back deck. 

This is from Google Streetview from a road about 10m - 20m lower than his deck, so his view would be even better.  Lucky Plick!!!

I hope to get a better pic in around a month's time, whilst he's boiling the kettle.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
You've got it!!     Or should I say, "I've got it"!   

I always wanted a home with a water view but I could never have afforded to have one on the mainland.
The shot below is from the front of the house, the deck at the back, which I prefer to refer to as the front, runs the length of the house, every morning I look out at the water and feel so blessed, the water is crystal clear and cold, and seldom has more than a ripple as it's a well protected bay. There are so many such areas in Tasmania, and very much affordable. I couldn't have brought a 24 perch block of land in Brisbane for what I paid for the house on 3/4 acre with this view!

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
..... 24 perch block of land in Brisbane for what I paid for the house on 3/4 acre .....

You better speak English for some of these guys, not Old English (or is it French?).  Anyway my land surveying were 40 years ago, and I think 24 perch is approximately 1/8th of an acre.  But size doesn't count, just the view:

Mmmm, I see a large hard stand area and uncover parking.  If we didn't have sites to sight, you may not get rid of us too easily.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 08:26:54 PM »
Ha ha!......24 perch = 607sq metres.............I guess that's showing my age, hey!

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 08:35:45 PM »
This might be covered elsewhere but how do the bikes fare on the trip in the boat over there. Are they tied down? And if so who does it? I am thinking of going to Tassie later in the year for a ride and I am curious to know. Thoughts of some gorilla shackling Chika down with half inch chain is almost enough to put me off.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »
.... how do the bikes fare on the trip in the boat over there. Are they tied down? And if so who does it? ......... gorilla shackling Chika down with half inch chain ......

May be covered elsewhere, someone will let us know. 

Gorilla?  I suppose they might speak highly of you too.

There has been some bad experiences reported on other forums.  I don't remember which ones, but ADVRider comes to mind, so a search there might be worthwhile.  IMO take their comments with a grain of salt as many of them are a precious bunch of know-alls (hope I have not stood on too many toes here), and the half dozen adverse comments should be taken into perspective with the 000's of bikes successfully transported each year.

However, from my experience (travelling by car) and observing, it seems to be done by a group of experienced professionals who have had a lot more experience tying down motorcycles than me.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 09:59:55 PM »
You don't have to worry about how the bikes are tied down as they're done in a very efficient and effective manner. They're tied down with webbing straps using the hand grips with the front brake being applied by the straps and the bike is left in gear. There are many thousands of bikes transported across in this manner every year and I personally don't know of anyone having a problem. I guess it could happen, as any accident can happen, but I'd think it would be most unlikely. :grin
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:53:05 AM by Couch »

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
You don't have to worry about how the bikes are tied down as they're done in a very efficient and effective manner. They're tied down with webbing straps using the hand grips with the front brake being applied by the straps and the bike is left in gear. There are many thousands of bikes transported across in this manner every year and I personally don't know of anyone having a problem. I guess it could happen, as any accident can happen, but I'd think it would be most unlikely. :grin

And a response I recieved from the Spirit Of Tasmania re. my enquiry on this matter:

Spirit of Tasmania staff lash Motorbikes to the deck across the handlebars with very soft material (neoprene) and also across the right handle bar onto the front brake so the bike does not move.

In the unlikely event a vehicle is damaged whilst on board, report to the Chief Officer prior to disembarkation.

Should you have any further queries, please feel welcome to contact our Customer Contact Centre on 1800 634 906.

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »
Thanks  for that I assumed there would be some sort of procedure. BTW my apologies to the  gorrilas for my previous crude attempt at humour.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
Let me know if ever you decide to ride our roads and I'll do my best to catch up with you! :grin 

Thanks  for that I assumed there would be some sort of procedure. BTW my apologies to the  gorrilas for my previous crude attempt at humour.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
I've also done three trips across Bass Straight o the "Spirit", and have been quite happy with how my bike was secured.  The staff are well experienced and skilled at properly and safely securing motorbikes, and they certainly  move plenty of them.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)