Author Topic: 2020-04-10 Another Kilometrestone  (Read 1079 times)

2020-04-10 Another Kilometrestone
« on: April 10, 2020, 04:21:23 PM »
Today's short ride (a paltry 505km) had an agenda to it.

Last week's RTE to Quorn was cancelled, but I had intended to do the planned trip anyway, until it bucketed down on friday night with rain also forecast saturday morning.  As much of the planned route involved dirt I decided to defer it today.  As it turned out I didn't go in that direction or on any dirt.  I'd decided to keep it more simple.

Before the start of play my odo was just 201km short of 120'000km and I didn't want to do that on the daily commute.

My calulations meant I'd have been close to home next friday if I did nothing, so I looked as places 200km from Adelaide.  Lameroo was perfect.  When I zoomed in on google maps I noticed a place called Billiatt which I had never heard of, google street showed the road to be sealed, and a route to Lameraoo, Alawoona via Billiatt and back to Adelaide was born.

I knew there was an SA Motorcycles store in Tailem Bend and today I spotted it.

I also saw the easter dog (?) near by.

The railway at Buccleuch hasn't seen a train since 2015 but the stop sign is still maintained.  I have seen police cars waiting there in the past.  Speaking of patrol cars, I saw quite a few on the South Eastern Expressway.

The locals got into the good friday spirit.

The fog was pretty thick from Peake to just before Lameroo where it just suddenly disappeared.  Right on cue the odometer clocked 120'000km just as I hit the outskirts of town.

Not a great deal to look at in Billiatt although I did have one emu and two roos run in front of me.

It wouldn't be South Australia without a decrepit building somewhere.

Not the picture I just posted in the big things thread, but I noticed that Karoonda has acquired silo art since my last visit.  This eagle was pretty cool.

I didn't take photos of the big ram today because I already have several.  I noticed I haven't put that in the big things thread yet.  I'll have to dig one up later.  I got a big icecream in Handorf today as well.  So many autumn colors reminded me of how much I have missed this year.  I haven't done a road trip since Curdievale.  This was in Hahndorf.

Who knows when my next road trip will be.  I've not planned anything yet and don't look like doing so for a while.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:47:58 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: 2020-04-10 Another Kilometrestone
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »
Interesting ride!
Over here on the east coast it's getting more risky every day being out on the bike, especially around the Gold Coast and in Victoria.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Phil.S

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:44:12 PM »
Great ride Bodo , it would be nice to go for a decent ride ,but under the current conditions I can only ride within my Municipality unless for something essential, but I have recently had some hand and foot surgery to fix a couple of annoying problems , so another week at least before I am back on the bike.

Bodø

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 04:50:30 AM »
I hear some of the other states are way more strict on what you can't do re riding.  Here we can still ride, provided we're not in a group of more than ten which doesn't affect me because I am not the biggest fan of group riding.  We can't sit inside a café or roadhouse either so I grabbed an iced coffee at Lameroo and sat well away from any premises.  I passed a group of about eight harleys on Old Princess Highway heading in the opposite direction between Hahndorf and Totness.

Offline Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 06:13:41 AM »
Well done Bodo
Thanks for sharing
I had read your ride report and didn't reply
It is getting hard with all the restrictions in place now. I'm not sure when I will get out for another ride
My rego is due and my wife said maybe we don't pay it
Then reregister it when all this blows over
But with all the hassle of reregistering RWC and everything I don’t think it is worth it
I could always go for a ride to the shop to get some bread and milk
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:32:18 AM by Wild Rose »
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »
With the cost of a roadworthy these days I'd be keeping it registered if at all possible, Wild Rose...

I think Queensland do short term regos like in Victoria?
I pay mine every 3 months just to make it easier to find the money to pay it instead of having to pay a large sum in one hit.

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 11:50:46 AM »
I know South Australia does season registration but as it's my daily commute mine is always registered.