Author Topic: How did you get your nickname?  (Read 75835 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
How did you get your nickname?
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
There's got to be a few good yarns here....

I'll kick it off.....

How I became "Diesel".....

Okay - so we know I chucked a gutfull of Diesel in my bike one day....

Here is the tragic story (with pics)....

I had organised a latte run for a few fellow ST1300 and ST1100 owners. And they came in great numbers.... from the Gold Coast, Brizvegas, and even Bundaberg. I had 13 ST bikes to cater for in the end.

Anyway - the meeting point was Samford Village, but the Bundy crew wanted to stay at Caboolture the previous night to ride down there with me. "No wukkas" I thought as they were unfamiliar with directions to the start point.

This is where the beginnings of the rot set in....

As I rocked up to my regular filling station (BP Morayfield), I saw Jinxy and waved whilst pulling in. My 'usual' bowser was taken, so I picked another BP Ultimate bowser, and continued my salutations to my guest.

Have a look at the labels on the pump.....

You can see that if distracted... the worst can happen.

Anyways, I filled as we yibbered about his journey down etc etc, and set off for the meeting point.

Around 15 k's into it, I started to notice a delay from throttle on to feeling the power. This progressively got worse the further I went. Puffs of smoke also started to emanate from the exhausts, and I had that 'oh sh*t' feeling as there was a few hundred clicks to travel that day, and my bike was never anything less than totally reliable!

Anyway - made it to the start point, greeted all the riders, had the first morning brew, laid out the rough plan and then mounted up to leave.

My bike only just started, coughed, weased, smoked more and more, then died.  I thought I'd dropped a valve or something.

I had to wave everyone off on the ride that I had organised and was ride master of.   

I was then left to call the towey and go home in the truck with my tail between my legs.

I learned a terrible lesson that day to pay attention.

We dropped her off to the Honda shop (still thinking the motor may be rooted). After a while we all worked out the problem. I called the servo to see what flavour was on pump 13, and she confirmed.

Amongst all the devastation and disappointment of missing out on the ride, was a little feeling of elation that it was only me being a dickhead and NOT an engine failure.

Funny thing was, later, as I was helping out the trouble n strife in the garden (in fact I was pooper scooping at the time), I thought to myself... "look at me... shovelling sh*t instead of belting through some of Australia's nicest twisting roads to pubs with a great mob!"  DOH!       

Anyways - it cost me $300 all up - $150 to the STealership for draining etc, and $150 towing.

All is good now and I certainly learnt my lesson. But you all know what the lads are like... as of that moment I became "Diesel Dave"  shortened to Diesel.

Also, with all these Euro cars and 4WD's using diesel fuel, the pumps are as 'normal' as possible. They used to be segregated - but now are integrated into the bowser layout too because of their popularity.

These two pics were taken at a Bundy servo - must be a common occurrence.....

Anyway - this is why I will NEVER do that again. I'm all cured!     

Hope it saves someone some $$$ and plenty of stress too.

The three main contributors to this were:

1. Distraction. Had a fellow rider grabbing my attention which left me not concentrating on the bowser enough;

2. Similar Labels & diesel bowser integration. Being distracted stopped me properly identifying the 'diesel' bit after the 'BP Ultimate' bit (and the colours are similar too - dark, dark blue for premium, black for diesel) ALSO - diesel pumps don't sit over there in the corner by themselves any more - they are just another pump in the row; and

3. Unlike a car, the diesel nozzle still fits in the motorbike filler hole. A car's filler is necked down and I would not have been able to put the nozzle in to the filler. On a bike - this is possible.

Vigilance is the easy answer to ward this off.

Cheers, Diesel           
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:43:09 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

The following users thanked this post: Beema2ST

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
Re: How did you get your nickname?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »
I don't think I have one
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:44:53 PM »
I picked my own years ago. Saaz is a type of hop used in the best pilsners.  I was into brewingand establishing a brew club in Canberra when I went online (early 90s) on things like icq and chatrooms, so me an a mate took up various hop names. Fortuntely it is not taken on most bike forums, but it is at many other places.  It is amazing how simple 4 letters confuse people when I give my email address..meaningless combinations of letters and numbers don't seem to present such a problem.

Supposedly it is slang for gay in South America (so I have gotten some interesting messages some places!) or something like melodic sound of the wind in arabic.

And I first met the now infamous Diesel at the Euston FarRride mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:48:05 PM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
mine is pretty self explanatory, big grey streak in my fringe on my head and bingo! we have streak
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
I don't have one.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
I don't have one.

To get one you just have to do something silly with others watching on

Like me I just like falling of the bike when parking,  very simple

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
I don't have one.

To get one you just have to do something silly with others watching on

Tipsy

That be the problem then........

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
mine is pretty self explanatory, big grey streak in my fringe on my head and bingo! we have streak

Yes.  But how long have you had the stylish streak?  Or did having kids around do it to you.  That's what caused my silvery locks.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
My story was posted recently at

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=1478.msg13541#msg13541

::)

I was beaten by about two months on FarRiders so had to just go with "Bill" there until I do something outlandish.  Guess it's gonna always be "Bill".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:10:50 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline walton

• Glen Waverley, Victoria
    • My Spot
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
I used to be known as Walton or Wally. Now I'm simply known as John Boy. You know, from the Walton's? Believe it or not, I've never watched an episode. I'm probably not old enough.  :fp
1998 ST1100P
FarRider #440
Let's Ride!

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
Mines a shortened version of my Surname my dad was Scarpie mates always called me scarp
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
When I was young and dumb and a lot fitter than I am now I was known for being quick to get out to my aircraft when it returned from a trip, it was said that I would 'whizz' out to the plane, hence the dumb name. Haven't used in many years but needed something to use here, this being a fairly public place, and when I was signing up it sprung into my mind and it seemed to fit the bike mentality, so Whizz it is.

Not as bad as one of the guys at work who's nickname is 'Backfatter' because they reckoned every time he returned from a detachment he 'came back fatter'

Cheers
Whizz
 :13Candy
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Years ago I was working a shitload :CB-- and had a fair bit of disposable income and no wife/girlfriend.
As I had all this money and little time to spend it, I started to buy a fair bit of crap >:()

A lot of the time I would buy things only because they were shiny and had cool lighting (Blue neon ect.) :runyay

As a result the guys at work started to call me Shiny and replaced my name around the office with (misspelt) Shiney.

And there you go the origins of Shiney :thumb

(Also I do like shiny things :grin )

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline LocuST

• Pakenham Vic
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »
It was bestowed upon me by a mate Des or "wingman" on the FarRiders site because we called him "Master".
When on rides Des would impart pearls of wisdom to other riders so he called one of us "Grasshopper" and I was "Locust"... not your average pest...
But now I tend to get called Wingboy  :whistle
Chris
FarRider #375

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
My name is Dan but that's taken on most forums, so I just thought of another similar name - Des seems to be available most of the time.  It seems no-one likes to be called Des! 

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
SAC468 well SAC are the first initials of my name (First middle & last) & 468 is the Month and Year I was born.  :rd13
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

Offline Skip

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 07:28:32 PM »
My first outing with SE Qld Ozstoc and I all but got T boned by a 'skippy'.    >:()    I thought I was gone.
That night, Mark, who needs to share his story, dubbed me Skippy. Since been modified to Skip.
Is Mark back from travelling the world yet?
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline JohnoJ

• Switchback
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »
My nickname is an extension of my name. John.
Happy, friendly people that may not be the best athletes are more fun than arrogant "experts".

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
 My nickname is a shortened version of my name.  :fp  :grin :grin :grin
                                         :blk13
2016 KTM1290 Super Adventure
2018 HONDA NC750X

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:51:47 PM »
My nickname is a shortened version of my name.  :fp  :grin :grin :grin
                                         :blk13

Which is....?  Michelangelo?    :popcorn

hondabob

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
 :dred11  :hatwave
howdy y'all - mine would have to be the most obvious of course - Honda Bob - when tokyo rose leaves my shed to live with someone else i guess i'll be bob with the bonnie for awhile :grin 8) - then when i get the XTZ -:think1 - who knows - just keep on ridin :beer

Offline Smokeguy

• Bob
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »
Its my job really - I deliver those filthy stinking smelly thank god I don't smoke anymore HOW much did you say I want a pack of twenty cuz im cutting back yeah i gave it away for 2 days GIVE ME my goddam smokes before I poke ya eyes out whats the cheapest you got today sorry mate I only have coins umm I'm 20 cents short items to pubs, clubs, shops, foodlands, petrol stations. You name it. I walk in the front door and they run screaming out the back yelling it's the Smokeguy cuz I want ya money hunny. By the way I'm not a rep - just a delivery boy :)
What a job - wouldn't give it away for quids. Soooooo Smokeguy kinda stuck.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 09:28:32 PM »
I got mine years ago when I started riding. Maddog is what I got, from doing burn outs  and throwing fire crackers while riding the bike. Thing you do when you are young and silly. Now I've turned 50  I thought it was time too grow up.
Cheers Aj :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »

My first car was an EB Falcon, and it had some rust.  After a while it had some more rust.  RustyEB became a name I could remember and nobody else had.

Some think it's because of my Red hair, but since it started falling out that's not the coments I get now.
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 06:59:52 AM »
my nick name was endowed apon me by my Dad many years ago when I was a little lad of about 5. I was born in Ireland and we were not too well off.

Mum would make a big pot of broth to make vegetable soup which we ate often, with potatoes of course. This was made by boiling a pigs trotter in the pot until the meat came off the bone and became part of the broth.

The pigs trotter were call hobnobs in Ireland and I used to love picking at the left over bone to get the last of the meat. My Dad nick named me Hobnob and it has stuck ever since.

I shortened it later in life to Hobs as using Hobnob has had too many queried looks and too much explaination of other connotations.