Honda ST1100 Section > Tyres...to suit your ST1100

new tyres

(1/2) > >>

pault:
I always hate the first 100k or so after fitting new tyres, does anybody know what removes the lacquer or what ever it is on new tyres?
paul t

saaz:
I think it is whatever they use to get the tyre out of the mould.  If Iwant a quick scrub in a bit of gravel road riding seems to be a quick way.  Otherwise something else that cleans/roughs the surface, like a wire brush and soapy water. I have found some tyres take longer than others to break in.

Poppy Dave:
Bitumen.

That's about it I'm afraid. My local dealer usually cleans some of it off but he still says to be careful and put some miles on them before trusting them.

Dave

Diesel:
I used to think you had to go and hit the twisties to scrub 'em in - how ironic - leaning the bike over onto the new bit of tyre that slips, so you don't slip!!!     :crazy      :fp

But since then I've found that a heat cycle or two just from normal riding cures the tyre and sets it on its grippy life.

Always show caution until 50-100 clicks has been covered - but the heat cycles should do the trick.

Some folks in the states use a chemical (can't remember which one), this is unnecessary. Just treat 'em like it's raining for the first 100 clicks and you should be right.

Brock:
The waxy stuff is the release agent from the mold. Your tyre fitter should use a cleaner to remove most of the stuff, but some will always remain.

I dont worry about it too much, just take it easy for a little while, and weave gently a bit to scuff up the tyres. Just dont expect to scrape the pegs on your favorite corner in the wet.

:beer :beer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version