Author Topic: Wheel Bearing Sound  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Scarlett Thunderbolt

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
Wheel Bearing Sound
« on: September 06, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
  Like everyone, I too have the inane ability to ‘almost’ put my STeed (Miss Scarlett Thunderbolt) back together correctly doing the most basic procedures, like changing a tyre…

Hey Dougie, I had similar sounding problem... i.e - the brake calliper blowing a hole in the left pannier.

I discovered, embarrassingly, that I had fitted the rear brake calliper incorrectly. I had not put the front bolt, that secures the calliper to the swing-arm, through the calliper. The result of my error was that the rear brake calliper sat too far to the rear to avoid the inside corner of the pannier... i.e - big hole.

With the rear brake calliper located correctly, it will not hit pannier. The rear brake worked just fine, even though it was 'floating'.... & bashing a hole in my pannier. Cheers, John & Kate.

… and my latest effort…

Returning to Mackay on the 2018 NatRally Goodes Lookout RTE, had a metal-on-metal grinding sound start to develop from (the front? hub? brakes?)… somewhere down there?  Pull over, a bit of head scratching, load the sick STeed onto the recovery trailer towed by ppopeye, with the assistance of two other thoughtful and helpful OzSTOCers (you know who you are)… problem to be investigated later.

So I found nothing in the brakes (pebble between the pads or rotor scoring), then found this on the left-side…

… a chewed bearing dust seal…

… and dust seal in better condition on the right-side…

My best guess on what caused the damage and maybe the grinding sound, is that last time I had the front wheel off, I put the left-side collar in the wrong way around, inside-out, backwards… incorrectly!
  So, as they say, “…  do everything by the Service Manual, and double check everything three times!”
Cheers, John & Kate.
John, Kate & Miss Scarlett
Candy Red ST1300

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Online ppopeye

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: Wheel Bearing Sound
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:18:49 AM »
At least it was a simple cheap fix. Maybe you should consider giving these jobs to the bike shop.
 :think1

ppopeye

I never ride faster than my angel can fly!

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
At least it was a simple cheap fix. Maybe you should consider giving these jobs to the bike shop.
 :think1

Nah... where's the fun in that?... half the fun is finding what went wrong - then tellin' everybody... next job on the agenda - coolant change... what can possibly go wrong :grin

On a completely different subject - we're coming down to Melbourne for a few days in February (Thurs 7th 'til Mon 11th)... have MetroPass, will travel... so it would be good to catch up for a coffee if you're free.

Cheers, John & Kate.
Candy Red ST1300

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Online ppopeye

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
John that sounds fine. PM on the way.
ppopeye

I never ride faster than my angel can fly!

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 11:06:45 PM »
So did you replace the bearings or just the dust cap?
Oh, and be sure to write up the coolant change.  (And what went wrong, if anything  :-X )
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:07:47 AM »
Oh, and be sure to write up the coolant change.  (And what went wrong, if anything  :-X )

... the L & R bearings feel and look fine, as do both end caps... i just gave the caps a lite buff and re-grease... the dust seals (91252-MCS-G01 - DUST SEAL (34X52X10)) are $7 each (+$8 postage) from Partszilla, so they're on the way.

... the colour of Scarlett's coolant is clear, with a hint of pink - so i'd better find out what's going on there!  cheers, J&K.
Candy Red ST1300

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 11:30:08 PM »

... the L & R bearings feel and look fine, as do both end caps... i just gave the caps a lite buff and re-grease... the dust seals (91252-MCS-G01 - DUST SEAL (34X52X10)) are $7 each (+$8 postage) from Partszilla, so they're on the way.

... the colour of Scarlett's coolant is clear, with a hint of pink - so i'd better find out what's going on there!  cheers, J&K.

Your local Statewide Bearings Branch or CBC, both in Central Park Drive, Paget, would probably have the seals in stock
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300