Author Topic: Thinking of Riding Around Australia?  (Read 13355 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Thinking of Riding Around Australia?
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »
Thinking of Riding Around Australia?

You have Ridden Australia?

Post your Questions, Thoughts, Tips, Ideas, Suggestions here
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
Re: Thinking of Riding Around Australia?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »
If you're gonna ride the roads highlighted on that map you better be riding an offroad adventure bike for that bit around the bottom of the Gulf of Carpentaria, that is not an ST friendly road.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »
If you're gonna ride the roads highlighted on that map you better be riding an offroad adventure bike for that bit around the bottom of the Gulf of Carpentaria, that is not an ST friendly road.

Lol it's just an image to give people the idea  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »
We've thought about doing this for awhile and over two or three months duration but don't know when yet.

In the past we've done the coastal route from Kingston SA to Sydney and back across to Adelaide via West Wyalong and on another trip we've gone as far as Alice Springs.

On my own I've done around from Adelaide to Pt. Hedland via the coastal route but went via Kalgoorlie rather than Esperance and while at Pt. Hedland I did a ride to Broome. So all I need to do is the route from Broome to Sydney.

Due to prevailing wind conditions I think riding anti clockwise would best. I would tend to stay with the tar when going across QLD so Mount Isa is the way I'd go. With the trailer we are able to camp just about anywhere beside and out of site of the road for free. Money is better in our pocket than someone else's, so why throw it away?

We use roadhouse showers every couple days and we have a portable shower (recycle eski water) as well for use at a camp site and we normally take 3 to 4 days spare of food/water etc and top up at supermarkets along the way. A trip of this length would see us do a similar thing because it works for us.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:01:22 PM »
Lol it's just an image to give people the idea  :thumb

In early 2015 we plan on going from Adelaide, Tennant Creek, Mt Isa, Townsville, Cooktown and back down the coast and home to Adelaide.   This trip will complete a circumnavigation of Oz for three of my travelling companions.

My tip?
Camp on unpowered sites in caravan parks and use the camp kitchens for cooking, shelter when the weather is bad, and for catching up with other travellers.   Cooking your own meals will save a fortune.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »

Yep, you have to go down to Tennant Creek Mt Isa and Townsville to stay on the sealed roads. Or alternatively, you can slip up from Charters Towers through Greenvale and onto cairns.

But one important point, travel anticlockwise as it's shorter....... Why?..... Cause it's the inside lane....
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
Which route do you intend to take, the long or the short???

There is a difference, its not much but it is there..  About 1 or 2 ks I think.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
We are so watching this space, looking to the future for tips and must see places  :-++

Pockey  :wink1
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »
Consider the time of the year and when it is safe to travel at night. In the top end "Wet " season can see you stuck for months.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:46 PM »
Hey, some of us are stuck here 24-7 365.....

Consider the time of the year and when it is safe to travel at night. In the top end "Wet " season can see you stuck for months.
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 01:51:17 AM »
I have just done it in stages on my GL1500 Goldwing.
Perth to Victor Harbor (OzSTOC AGM)
Victor Harbor to Sydney (Two up Victor Harbor to Melbourne)
Sydney to Darwin (Two up Cairns to Darwin)
Darwin to Perth
All up about 20,600 kms. This included the kms done at the AGM and about 1,000kms in Sydney.
Have started a write up but need to sit down and finish it.
Happy to answer any detailed questions. Basically stayed as close to the coast as possible and generally keetp to the black top and by passed anything that required travelling both ways on the same road. Major exception to this was going in and out of Darwin.
I planned the entire trip on Basecamp with my Garmin GPS. Happy to make these files available to anybody. Found numerous mistakes with the Garmin maps, guess that is to be expected in 20,000 kms.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Dick B "Yewie"

• Sydney NSW
  • Switched to a 2015 Yamaha Tracer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
If you feel like investing in $8.95 in the December issue (Issue 10) of the Australian Motorcyclist you will find a write up of our recent round Australia tour (Starting on page 97).
Also, here is the link to the blog we ran while enroute. www.bushellsbikebashes.com
Cheers
Ros and Dick
"Yewie"

Offline STutter

• The Headless Horseman
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »
I just did it in 30 days. Started on Nov 23rd and got back Dec 23rd.

The ODO said it was 15840kms of riding.

I'm doing a write up on it and may sell it as a cheapie eBook for under $10 in a couple of weeks with all the photos I took as well. The below is the ST against one of the medium sized road trains in WA somewhere.

So you think, so you shall become - Bruce Lee

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • RTE Coordinator
  • ST1300 ABS
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »
Hi,
Done it in 2012 and doing it again in Aug-Sept this year. Big difference is last time I went anti-clockwise and included an interior loop through Ayers Rock, Mt Isa and Longreach. This time I'm going clockwise and doing some slightly different roads where I can.

I give the bike to Mainfreight in mid-July and follow in late August. I'll put a post out with the proposed itinerary closer to the date to see if any OzStocers want to tag along for any bits along the way.

Here's the 2012 post...

I reside in the cooler climates of NZ but lived over your way for 20 years. I’ve just completed a 27,000km ride in and about your fine land in April-May this year on my 2011 ST 1300.

Shipping the bike across the Tasman under ‘carnet de passages’ was remarkable easy. I must say all praise be to Mainfreight as I was able to go from the early morning Wellington-Sydney flight straight to my waiting bike at Mainfreight's Botany depot. After a brief unpack I was riding south through Royal National Park by 11.00am.

I chose to camp at most of my overnight locations. The tent I bought across with me had occasion to fall off the back of the bike on the second day and subsequently got run over by a following truck. That required a quick stopover at the Kathmandu sales to purchase a new one.

The first 2 weeks and 9,160km were spent doing an interior 'loop' which was basically Nowra – Canberra - Snowy Mountains - Murray Valley Highway – Melbourne – Bendigo – Adelaide - Ayres Rock - Alice Springs - Mount Isa – Longreach – Coonamble and back to Sydney.

After a couple of night in the Blue Mountains it was on up the East Coast in the general direction of Queensland again. Torrential rain around the NSW central coast forced a couple of shorter day’s riding than planned and major roadworks for most of the rest of the way up to Rockhampton slowed progress even further. When in Cairns I did the Mount Molly loop up to Daintree and back down to Townsville. I used to live in Townsville and rode a GSX 1100EFE back then so know the Atherton Tablelands as some of the world’s best riding (second to our South Island West Coast on a sunny day of course).

When I left Townsville for the next stretch I was optimistically hoping my back tyre would make it to Darwin. Unfortunately by the time I got to Mt Isa with 1,600km still to go, some suspicious looking lines had appeared which indicated the steel belt wasn't far below. Ended up having to pay a premium for a new one at the Honda shop in Mt Isa. Shouldn’t complain though as the worn tyre had giving me 19,290 good kilometres.

Our oldest son was working in Darwin so I spent four days there which included doing the Kakado NP loop. I couldn't get out to see the Aboriginal rock paintings due to some residual flood waters across the road. For the benefit of others I can reliably inform you that your bike will safely ford a 400mm deep flooded road, but don’t try it if the staff gauge is reading 600mm.

After Darwin the Kimberley's were great scenic riding all the way across to Broome. At one point there was even a sign warning me of 5km of winding road where I had to slow down to 110km/hr to take one of the tighter bends!

Broome I limited myself to a lunchtime stopover - seen one European tourist in skimpy bikini, seen 'em all...

I must say it’s a long, long way from Darwin to Perth and I still fail to see why so many Kiwis are moving to Port Hedland as there’s certainly nothing around there that caught my eye. The beauty of riding that piece of road with no sound system in my helmet is I’d solved most of the worlds’ problems in my head by the time I got to Perth. The brain had somewhat return from its zen-like state once I’d got to WA’s south-western corner around Margaret River where the riding was simply awesome.

The Nullabor was pretty cool. Two days to cross with a well deserved beer and some jovial conversation with the local truckies at the Border Village pub. Over the next bit into SA I did get somewhat ‘cliffed out’ stopping and looking at every viewing area of the Great Australian Bight from the WA border through to Port Lincoln.

Through the Adelaide Hills and Coorong I refreshed my teenage memories of riding my red 1983 CB 750 through this part of the world.

Around to Victoria and the Great Ocean Road. Cliffs and coastal erosion had somehow lost their novelty value by the time I got to the 12 Apostles although that road on a sunny day was brilliant.

Melbourne, Portsea, Lakes Entrance and up to Nowra was some excellent riding as it was mid-week with almost no other traffic and not a cloud in the sky. I guess it does get pretty congested along here on weekends though – you guys would know.

Then it was up to Nowra to my father-in-laws place to give the bike a good clean before dropping it off at Mainfreight in Sydney for the return cruise home. It has since been safely returned to my doorstep complete with a few green bugs still stuck in the air filter.

All up the score was:

Distance:      27,193 km
Fuel:      1,233 litres - Ave 4.5 L/100km or 22 km/L. (Sounds a bit low so I may have not recorded a couple of fills)
Fuel stops:      76 or thereabouts.
Maintenance:      2 front & 2 rear tyres. 3 engine oil & 1 hub oil changes.
Average days riding:   735 km
Longest days riding:   11 days of between 900 & 1,110 km
Time in the country:   7 weeks
Days actually riding:   37
Nights in the flash tent:   32
Hottest temperature:   38 degrees somewhere around Pt Hedland.
Wildlife collected:   Nothing bigger than a parrot
Closest call:      Dingos with their suicidal tendencies chasing dinner beside the highway

My controlled experiment for the trip was to see if your Toll way number plate recognition system picks up NZ registered vehicles travelling under carnet. To date I haven’t received anything in the mail reminding me of the occasional toll I may have ‘omitted’ to pay. I hope the same holds true for any average speed cameras I may have taken liberties with.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob NZ

The following users thanked this post: sean11

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »
Nice write up Rob.

As to accidental transgressions, I think the having to contact Kiwi land to trace the owner, would come under too hard and not cost effective. Send to file 13 (too hard basket)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline A2Z

• Horsley, NSW
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 01:50:11 PM »
So...any one gone up to Cape York on an ST?  I'm planning on going up to Cape York as part of my trip round Oz, and I hear that's a bit of a challenge.
Red, loud, rowdy, and proud.

I don't want a pickle...I just wanna ride my motorcikle!

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »
So...any one gone up to Cape York on an ST?  I'm planning on going up to Cape York as part of my trip round Oz, and I hear that's a bit of a challenge.

Cooktown is as far as I've been.

Offline Dick B "Yewie"

• Sydney NSW
  • Switched to a 2015 Yamaha Tracer
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
We only went as far as Cooktown as well. We generally tried to stay on the bitumen and Cooktown is as far as you can go on the black stuff.
"Yewie"

The following users thanked this post: A2Z

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »

There was rumour of a Hayabusa being ridden to Cape York, could've been on ADVRider - http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/australia.32/, might be worthwhile asking there, you will need to sort out the relevant replies and advice from the BS.

If you have not been on ADVRider before, you will quickly learn what I mean by the BS.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 06:35:51 PM »

I doubt it and I really don't recommend it, the road is not at all suitable for road bikes let alone one as heavy as the ST.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »

I doubt it and I really don't recommend it, the road is not at all suitable for road bikes let alone one as heavy as the ST.

I haven't done the Cape yet.....next year  ;-*

But been doing loads of research.....I recon staying on the PDR it is do-able....but and a massive BUT, you will get damage, you won't want to own the bike after you have finished it "IF" you make it back to Cooktown and "IF" you don't make it back the recovery fees will be substantial.

Don't do it Al  ;-*
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline A2Z

• Horsley, NSW
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 07:08:28 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  LOL!  But all good feedback.  I'll have to rethink those plans now.  I think I'll just go as far north as I can (Cairns or Cooktown), then I'll look at alternative ways of getting to The Tip.   :nahnah
Red, loud, rowdy, and proud.

I don't want a pickle...I just wanna ride my motorcikle!

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 10:30:53 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  LOL!  But all good feedback.  I'll have to rethink those plans now.  I think I'll just go as far north as I can (Cairns or Cooktown), then I'll look at alternative ways of getting to The Tip.   :nahnah
It is bitumen to Lakeland Downs, but from there the the road to Weipa is loose gravel and bull dust with deep corrugations most of the way. Regular "dips" at creek crossings.

I drove it in a 4WD and saw bits rattle off another 4WD I was traveling with.

There are also 3 trailer road trains to contend with and the dust they kick up gives 5 metre visibility.

Park the bike somewhere secure, and do a flight or tour bus.

sent using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:04:31 AM by Gadget »
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline mr2u

• ST Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 03:48:46 AM »
This is something i am seriously thinking of doing before its too late.
As im Perth based, i would start and finish there. The plan is to go clockwise, only because ive already done the bottom half of Australia (Albeit in a car).
I have 10 weeks of long service leave and 6 weeks of annual leave up my sleeve in which to do it in if i was to go now.
My thoughts were to start in spring to avoid the heat and wet season in the Upper North and try and make it to Tasmania by mid to late summer :H.

Just got to sit down and work out how much it would cost (Then double it).  :think1
2 sets of tyres - $1600 ($800 a set including fitting)
fuel - $2000 (that will cover about 25000Km)
20 nights in hotels (the rest either in a tent or with friends/family along the way), $2500
food - $2500  ($40 a day x 60 days)
breakdowns - $1500

Hmmmmm, this is getting costly.  :o

Mr2u             :blk13
They say money cant buy happiness, but i say it can get you a damn good bike!

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 07:46:47 AM »
I've done several long trips around Oz, and have a couple of tips that may help to keep costs down.  My trips have been done for under $100 per day, including fuel.

* Sleep in a tent in Caravan Parks and use Camp Kitchens for meal prep and socializing with other travelers.  There will usually be power points in camp kitchens to use for recharging your devices.
* Buy food at the supermarkets on arrival at your destinations, cook your own meals (Camp Kitchen) and make your own lunches.
* Take a small gas burner to boil up a cup of tea or coffee rather than buying coffee's
* Drink water and not expensive bottled drinks.   If you want some flavour, but a small amount of cordial in the water.

My $100 per day did not include tyres (I didn't buy any) or buying a new motorcycle while half way around. :grin

I broke these guidelines regularly when I was feeling lazy or it was raining, but the concepts worked well.   My 51 day, 16,000 trip in 2009 averaged $85 per day.   See http://halfwayroundwithpete.blogspot.com.au/ for the full story.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, sean11