Author Topic: Road Tales  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Road Tales
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
Back on the Big Island after 10 days in Tassie, I left the Spirit Of Tasmania 2 and rode to my daughter's place in Tumut for an overnight visit.  The next morning required as early a start as can be achieved with a family preparing for work and school.  Off to town for fuel:

It was a bright crisp morning and my hopes were high for a great day on the road.  Sadly, only 10 kays along the Gocup Road I met this nemesis:

"It'll be 10 minutes, Mate, and don't blame me!"
You get that.

The GeePs selected a route through Cowra.  I knew about the POW Breakout there and decided to take a look at the memorial gardens, having heard they are worthy.

Once through this gate I was offered the Senior's rate of $15 to actually see the gardens and figured that since I was hoping to be home by 9:30, and had already lost 10 minutes, I wasn't going to get my money's worth, so back on the bike.
I trusted the Garmin to get me back on the highway efficiently, and look at what it had to offer, after leaving town:

It looked pretty good and only had two sharp bends, so I stuck with it.  I reckoned after a scary gravel road exploit in the Tassie high country with a fully loaded bike and pillion, I was capable of riding on this.

At Larras Lee I saw this over in the bush.  This guy has the Best Train Set!

Onwards through Wellington to my next fuel stop, in Dubbo.  The Shell there required a Pay Day Loan, but just over the road was a brand I've never seen before, Inland Petroleum.  They got my money.  I'm getting used to paying more than $40 for a bike fill, even at the cheapest place in town.

The ride towards Coonabarabran has some nice bends, and long views of the Warrumbungles to help pass the time.

In my riding time, I've encountered wide loads that have impeded progress just five times.  I got around the first years ago by jumping off the Cunningham Highway at an exit and racing the load to the on-ramp.  The next two were associated with the Wandoan FarRide. And now I'm seeing yet another one.  I caught him out of Coona and thankfully he went straight ahead to Gunnedah and I turned off for Narrabri.

The cool morning had long surrendered to a hot afternoon, and by Gurley I was needing a break and a Coke.  The only game in town is the Royal pub.  Sitting on the corner under the awning was the publican talking through a few lonely teeth, his wife, several ragtag kids and a local lady.  They were discussing the Big Party that was the highlight of the "town", it being Halloween.  Gulping down the cold Coke, I had a profound sense of sadness.  The scenario spoke to me of poverty and isolation, tinged with optimism about their enterprise.  I looked at the Streetview when I got home and the pub has a big For Sale sign on it. The photo was
captured just one year ago.  These battlers have bought themselves a ramshackle pub in the hope of making a go of it and there they were next to their their chalkboard sign promising prizes for the best costume that night. I really hope some people turned up, and they make a go of it.

It wasn't far up the road when I saw oncoming traffic that I could not believe!

Are these things stalking me?  That's four in two months.  The officious Copper who always preceeds these mammoths was throwing his arm around fit to bust regardless of the dimensions of the bike and the space available.  I got my photo safely on the edge of the bitumen- I'd already done my gravel for the day.

Next stop- Boggabilla. At 380 kays from home it's a handy refuel going either way.

Then I was set for the half hour of having the sun in my mirrors before taking on the skippies.  In fact I only saw one little fellow who, when he stood up to check out the noise, would have barely seen over a meerkat.  I did turn on the reverser horn because it has been known to be a busy stretch for wildlife.
I cut around the back of Warwick and was making good time until I fell in behind four B-doubles making hard work of going down Cunninghams Gap.  Once around them it was a straight run for home.

Putting Ruby2sday to bed she was being pestered by Strom for stories from the trip.  Too tired to talk, she promised there would be plenty of time for tales in the morning, because the Boss was going to have his first sleep-in for weeks.

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, johnnyYTED, Scarlett Thunderbolt, Kev Murphy, Langers

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Road Tales
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Ozbass

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
That was an awesome ride report mate :thumbs 
The way it is written is something I think you could make into a book covering your rides and adventures on the road.
I'm sure it would be something the family would enjoy :thumbsup

My grandfather wrote a book covering some of his Adventures through his life a number of years ago and it's something that the family and myself really enjoyed reading.
Anyway just an idea that I thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers
Shiney

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Knave

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
It sounds like it was a nice run Bill. A UHF radio can be a big help with those wide loads. You can talk to the driver and they usually let you know when they can move to the left to let you through.

I also dropped into the Gurley Hotel earlier this year. It was a depressing and sorry sight. Previous to that it would be around ten years since my last visit. At that time they had packbacker barmaids, the bar was new and the place was clean and tidy. It is a shame to see the little places fall into disrepair and eventual closure. 

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
Thanks Bill, an interesting and amusing read with some great pics. As Shiney says marrying up all your ride reports into a book would be a very interesting read, a great family momento and you may even sell a few to old farts like me. Well done!
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Bodø

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:50:09 AM »
Thanks for that.  Awesome ride report and a good read.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:59:11 AM »
Another epic RR. :hatwave

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:46:05 AM »
Great read thanks for sharing  :hatwave
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 08:41:50 AM »
Once again, a great read, so thanks Biggles.  I'm grounded at the moment as my RDL seat has gone back to the USA for "adjustment"  :well  so I ride vicariously through others such as yourself.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
 :blk13 :dred11
Thanks Bill for a great read, My mother remembers POW's running past her bedroom window during the breakout. A few pow's worked on local farms back then. She grew up in Cowra.
Great pics of those big loads, I've come across a few of them before.. mainly heading for mines in the Hunter..

Lokking forward to your next adventure.

Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder