Author Topic: Zorsting!!  (Read 1331 times)

Offline creeture3

• ST Legend
Zorsting!!
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:27:21 PM »
Interesting read this one, but be prepared to have brain fade after about 1 minute.  :H

Worth persisting though but in small doses

http://motorbikewriter.com/aftermarket-exhausts-not-illegal-barrister/?ct=t(Newsletter_19_01_16)

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: Zorsting!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »
Certainly highlights many issues re exhaust systems, wonder which office will hand ball this one. I still think that when legislation is offered it is almost always full of "Grey Areas" keeps the lawyers in business..........nice find though as the pipes on my VFR sound like a small block, very deep and meaningfull ... :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline ppopeye

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:59:14 PM »
VFR. What??

Sent from my iPad
ppopeye

I never ride faster than my angel can fly!

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Offline Nigel

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:18:04 PM »
Red vfr800 nice machine in for a roady at the  moment...

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Offline ppopeye

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:28:27 PM »
Sounds good. Have a mate with a red one. Sat on it and moved side to side and didnt drop it. Good bit lightr than the ST

Sent from my iPad
ppopeye

I never ride faster than my angel can fly!

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Offline Nigel

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 05:30:14 PM »
Yes mines Red too best part of 90 k lighter see what happens.............sorry off topic :eek

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:35:58 PM »
The exhaust thing (plus other ADR items) isn't that hard to work out. If one wishes to replace the OEM exhaust with an aftermarket one then it must meet the ADR requirement ( or other standard) in force at time of vehicle manufacture. If the OEM exhaust has a cat convertor (under ADRs) then the aftermarket one will need one as well to remain ADR compliant otherwise it can be defected.

Noise

The amount of noise a motorcycle can produce from the exhaust outlet depends on the year it was manufactured. If it was manufactured after February 1985, the acceptable noise level is 94 dB(A), but if manufactured prior to this date, then it is 100 dB(A).

The noise level is tested with the engine operating at a steady speed and, depending on the type of engine, the engine speed will be between 2500 rpm and 3750 rpm

South Australian viewpoint http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycles/motorcycles-and-sidecar-requirements#title6

If modifications are being considered you must ensure that the vehicle's ADR compliance is not compromised by the intended modification.

Motorcycles manufactured after July 1975 are built to comply Australian Design Rules (ADRs). These design rules cover various aspects of the motorcycle such as brakes, noise and lighting.

Motorcycles that comply with the ADRs, and were manufactured after October 1977, are also fitted with a compliance plate. This plate is mounted to the motorcycle's frame, usually in the head stem area.

If a motorcycle is certified to comply with the ADRs it must continue to comply with those rules. If modifications are being considered you must ensure that the vehicle’s ADR compliance is not compromised by the intended modification.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
Fines cannot be issued if an exhaust is “optional equipment” because the term is not used in any of the relevant laws.
No court could accept that any police officer has “sufficient expertise in the fields of acoustical or sound engineering” to determine noise levels in accordance with National Stationary Exhaust Noise Test Procedures for In-Service Motor Vehicles. “A defect notice issued on the basis of a police officer’s subjective judgment will not sustain a conviction”.

I'm sorry but that usually isn't the issue. Police Officers under the Transport Act have the right to defect a vehicle / issue an infringement notice if they believe that an offense has been committed. It is then up to the owner to prove otherwise which usually involves court and/or inspection station attendance, possible legal fees and in some cases expensive engineers certificates. Either way they can really cause considerable grief and financial loss if they choose.

I am aware of one person that had his car defected and attended the local Gov. Inspection Station to be told it was OK and had the notice removed. Then a week later was defected for the same item despite his protests.

I personally had a trail bike defected that was 100% OEM as the Police Officer thought the rear mudguard was too short.
A.

A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney