Author Topic: Ten dollars a litre.  (Read 3412 times)

Offline IanB

• Trundler
Ten dollars a litre.
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
It's the prediction by none other than the likeable larrikin Dick Smith.
He's got a doco abt fuels and other things on the ABC at 8.30 Thursday night.
Be interesting to see.
Now if we could just get industry using solar and trucks and cars onto the electricity stuff then the bike people could take over the oil and it would be going to a good use and used more sparingly than by the tintops ergo it would last longer.
So watch what Dick has to say, eh
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Ten dollars a litre.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »
Yep.  $10/litre will sort out the keen riders from the wannabees!    Wot thuh

Will make FarRiding a rich man's activity.  Better get some more done before we can only afford to read about the "good old days".
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:45:02 PM »
Well, if we didn't send our LNG to China for next to nothing we could be just about fuel most vehicles for the next few hundred years.

http://www.advancedfuels.com.au/natural-gas-vehicles.html
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »
 :wht11 py

All the big companies only think of the one thing,,,the almighty $
so they would love it at $10 a litre and of course so would any government for all those taxes.

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
I'm betting that apathy and entertainment win out against this show.
Everyone should watch it since it's out future and generations to come but since it's "greenie" oriented the majority will tune into some mindless Septic crap.
Funny old world this - we know that the resources are finite but we will plunder them till they run out and then moan since our lives will have to change dramatically.

Offline STill dreaming

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »
Two things i don't mind paying $10 a litre as long as my wage goes up by 3 times as well.secondly electric bikes are getting better all the time,have a look at the isle of mann challenge
SES TT Zero Challenge Isle of Man TT 2012
No longer dreaming. Past bikes,XR80 1979,DT175 1980,XT250 G 1980(X2), XT 250T, GPZ900r (x2), H100, TT350, TTR250.  current bikes Honda Varadero 1999, GPZ 900r 1986, XT 250T 1987, and newest and best , 2006 ST1300.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
Lots of good points in the show, but nothing new.
Funny to see Dick Smith flying a big heavy helicopter around the countryside campaigning for sensible use of finite resources.   :eek
I thought "this is appropriate" while he was flying a powered hang-glider.  Then he turns up in one of the biggest civillian turbine jobbies available, shortly followed by a Learjet for a flight over Olympic Dam.   Wot thuh
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
He also referred to himself as a fuel head (or along those lines). I took it that he was just pointing out the facts as he saw it and I appreciated that he wasn't really criticising people.

One area that I would have hoped that he would cover was 'house design'. It's not really that hard to design a house that makes better use of the sun in winter, and better use of shade (and materials) for summer. Designed properly there would be much less need for heating in winter and cooling in summer.

When I bought my house I aimed for one facing north. It's high set so helps to catch the summer breezes, and the winter sun shines in through the windows. It's brick veneer and has insulation in the walls and roof space. Now I have solar panels they also provide some more shade for the roof in summer. It all helps and we rarely have the a/c going in summer, and rarely use the heater in winter. I have replaced most of the lighting in the house with LED and it's nicely lit.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:50:15 AM by Rodd »

Offline Down Under

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »

It astounds me that in a country like Australia where we have massive reserves of natural gas I can't believe that the government allows foreign owned companies to plunder our resources mainly for international consumption but does not impose any conditions on those companies to supply domestic gas to us at a reduced rate. 

I appreciate that the government collects in the form of royalties etc but it is my understanding that in many other countries gas/oil is supplied to the domestic market of the donor country at rates below the cost of the same on the international market.  Once again we just bend over and cop it!  :cuss

I enjoyed having a look at Dick's collection of aircraft.  I've got a good story on the day he declared an in-flight emergency in his Learjet and was forced to land at Bathurst aerodrome.  :grin

Cheers,

Tony 

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »
Yer, Dick was a bit of a disappointment.
Rodd - I got one of those northfacing homes and was really cranky when the electricity bill arrived this morning.
$69.85 the buggers want.
Ah well it's just this three monther where we pay a bill.
Only half a dozen solar panels but normally they owe us money.

Offline GusChesnut

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »
He also referred to himself as a fuel head (or along those lines). I took it that he was just pointing out the facts as he saw it and I appreciated that he wasn't really criticising people.

One area that I would have hoped that he would cover was 'house design'. It's not really that hard to design a house that makes better use of the sun in winter, and better use of shade (and materials) for summer. Designed properly there would be much less need for heating in winter and cooling in summer.

When I bought my house I aimed for one facing north. It's high set so helps to catch the summer breezes, and the winter sun shines in through the windows. It's brick veneer and has insulation in the walls and roof space. Now I have solar panel they also provide some more shade for the roof in summer. It all helps and we rarely have the a/c going in summer, and rarely use the heater in winter. I have replaced most of the lighting in the house with LED and it's nicely lit.

I think you have made right adjustments..In this way you are able to capable of generating own power and consume less.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:09:10 AM by GusChesnut »

Offline Neale

• Legendary Member
  • Harrington Park, NSW
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
Any truth to the spiel about the massive oil supplies around Coober Pedy? If there is any truth to it, I think our plight may be less dire.
Neale

2009 ST 1300 Candy Apple Red

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
Any truth to the spiel about the massive oil supplies around Coober Pedy? If there is any truth to it, I think our plight may be less dire.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/trillion-shale-oil-find-surrounding-coober-pedy-can-fuel-australia/story-e6frea83-1226560401043

If it comes into production I bet we won't see the benefit of lower prices at the pump and no doubt like the gas they'll sell it off dirt cheap instead of securing the countries future oil consuption
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 09:13:06 AM »
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/under-tony-abbott-political-principles-reach-an-alltime-low-20140225-33ffk.html

The second part of this article is a good description of what is driving gas prices.  While all the politicians go on about free trade being good, I don't think they really understand what it might mean long term - or perhaps they do but don't want most people to really know.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
It's the old supply and demand problem.  If the price overseas for crude oil is $90/barrel, then the Aussie producers need local supply to be paying $90/barrel or else they'll sell it on the open (international) market.

Unless legislation intervenes, and the local natural gas supply right now is a good example of that.

Three LNG plants are being built in Gladstone to liquify coal seam gas (CSG) for export, but the production of CSG has turned out to be less than forecast so the LNG plants are prepared to pay more for natural gas to allow them to meet their contracted production requirements.  This means that local natural gas users are being priced out of the market, and facilities such as the Swanbank gas fired power station are closing.  People are now calling for legislation requiring fuel producers to meet local market needs first.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:40:46 AM by Old Steve »
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.