Author Topic: What's the best size of tyre to fit to the rear. Is bigger always best?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
I need to replace my front tyre which at present is a 110/80x18 and I think the rear has about 500 - 1000kms left on it, the rear is shod with a 160/70x17.
Now is it best to get a front and rear set, do I have the same brand front and rear or do you mix and match(Pirelli front and michelin rear for instance) obviously I want a tyre that will give reasonable wear and not cost the earth.
What are the best sizes for the tyres, this seems a nightmare as from looking and phoning around im getting a multitude of different prices, my local honda agent is telling me for a pilot road 2 fitted is $220 and $270 for the PR3, does this sound right as to me it sounds expensive.
Lost in a world of rubber ( but not that kind ) :spank

:wht11

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
Re: What's the best size of tyre to fit to the rear. Is bigger always best?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:25:42 AM »
I don't think I have ever bought just one tyre, always the set.  I am a believer in using the stock tyre sizes, others will disagree and that's fine.  Only time I would use a different tyre size would be for an emergency.

Thankfully I am down to two choices now for tyres, Angel GT or I would really like to try out the PR4.  Even when I had the ST1100 I stuck with matched sets and in those days I was using an Avon tyre.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:42:38 AM »
For the rear, a bit larger is ok, it means lower revs for same speed. Front should stay stock size, as thats where the speedo is driven from, tho 120/70 18 works in a pr3.

Dont mix brands, as the performance of the tyres wont match. you dont want the front to break traction and still have the rear glued to the road
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
I stick with stock sizes because noone has yet given definitive information as to the effect of different tyres on the traction control and abs. If your bike doesn't have these then it will only be the engine revs at particular speeds that will be affected by a different size rear. A change in front size will affect the speedo reading as it is driven from the front wheel. Tyre choice is pretty restricted for the fronts due to it being 18" . I'm still running Bridgestone 023's on the rear and a T30 on the front, the T30 seems to wearing well, it has done roughly 8000kms now and still looks good with only slight wear on the RHS. The 023 on the rear has done the same and despite covering just over 5700kms in the last couple of weeks towing a trailer along some very straight roads around Queensland it has only squared off slightly and still has quite a few kms left in it. I'm running 41psi in the front and 43psi in the rear.

Some people report getting 20000 kms out of their tyres, I don't know how they do it, I usually get around 12000 per set. I guess I may be harder on tyres because my riding style on the mountains here involves hard acceleration and hard braking in the twisties and tyre wear is affected directly by these activities, if you are very gentle on acceleration and braking the tyres don't suffer wear as badly and I guess the life will be extended... but where's the fun in riding gently... racing against a new BMW R Nine T down the Gillies can't be done gently..   ;-*
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
I would never mix brands between front and back, the difference in performance may only be slight but why do it, and what advantage is there in changing sizes??...........I wouldn't mess around with something that works very well as it is!       If it's good enough for Mr Honda then it's good enough for me!  Others may disagree, but that's freedom of choice, hey!! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:56 AM »
It's always cheaper if you buy your tyres from the US (Jake Wilson), and the more you buy at the same time will help to keep your freight cost down, for instance the last time I brought tyres from them I brought in three tyres for the same shipping cost as bringing in two, I should add that I did this for a specific reason and not just to save on shipping cost. I take my own wheels out and get the local Honda shop to fit and balance the wheels........@ $30 each, tyres at the time cost me roughly $142 each and I think the freight was about $70 all up! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 01:48:22 PM »
I stick with stock sizes because noone has yet given definitive information as to the effect of different tyres on the traction control and abs.

I've had Honda dealers fit a 160/60 on the rear of mine when a 160/70 hasn't been available. Ok, it fits, no issue with ABS/Traction control with the ones fitted but that size is to much below the weight rate for the standard tyre.

The next best tyre size is the 170/60 from the 1300. A little wider tread on the road and the overall diameter puts it in between the other sizes I mentioned above and therefore better suited for the ABS. The weight rate index is 72 (73 for 1100 Tyre) and with a GT spec tyre that shouldn't be much of an issue.

I was concerned about tyre choices for the ABS as well and doing a search gives plenty of opinions either way but nothing from pros. I'm on my second 1300 rear and the ABS check at start up does what it does and all seems ok.

Using T30 GT spec from 1300 at the moment but to soon to show any major wear.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »
New front tyre all fitted, went for the Bridgestone T30, it feels like I'm riding a different bike, now to get some money for the new rear tyre.

:wht11