Author Topic: Accident Out off action  (Read 4021 times)

Offline STOM1100

• ST Legend
Accident Out off action
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:14:57 AM »
Happy Newyear to all.
No one will have seen me on a FarRide or any other ride nor have i been active on any forum's the reason A very bad crash.
The rason i want to mention this is reffering to saftey gear .
There is only one reason Iam able to talk about this is because of the gear i always wore nomatter if going 2k's or 1200k's.

So what happened,I was riding home from work a 35k trip on tonkin hwy traffic at one point was at a total stop and having seen a rider killed splitting traffic i just wont do it.Well i decided to take Kewdale rd and go the back way home. I had just turned onto kewdale road traffic heavy but moving about 55-60 in a 70 zone. Out of nowhere a car shot out from my left across in front of me and stopped ? . This was probably 15-20mtr's in fronrt of me so at 60klm hr i was there before could react. Next thing i know i am lying in middle of road and every thing was extreemly painful,I knew that i was in serious trouble. I had been wearing a 3/4 rst jacket with shoulder elbow and back protection as well under this was an ICON body armour vest with chest and back protection. Plus proper bike boots and fullface helmet. The doc adv that if i had not been wearing this gear death was only option.
   The next 48 hrs is a blur but the result was a open book fracture of the pelvis with a 5cm split adomanal wall seperation burst ateries and a few other internal injuries,the left for arm was smashed the thin bone clear brake the thicker bone just shattered bits to small to evev pin or screw. So now i have several plate's holding me together. I also have several verabre fracture c1 & t1 also not good but not paralized.
   I spent 4 weeks lying on back looking at a spot on the ceiling,every body function done by tubes or othe invasive means which i do not want to revisit.This all happened 16th October I walked again for the first time after on Dec 6th. I am just Starting back at work only part time as the pain is to great but im a stuborn bastered. The end result I may never have the body power to ride a normal bike for several years,I plan to look at a trike in about 2 years. The reason is I beleive if you can not pick up a bike lying on it's side you do not ride it.Anyway thats my personal rule.
                     THE MESSAGE HERE NO MATTER HOW CAREFULL OR HOW GOOD YOU ARE IT CAN HAPPEN.
SO TO SAVE YOUR SELF FROM EITHER DYING OR LYING IN HOSPITAL LOOKING A THE FACES OF THOSE YOU LOVE LOOKING DOWN ON YOU AND
ASKING WILL YOU LIVE AND HOW?
                 WEAR FULL PROTECTIVE GEAR ITS CHEAPER THAN YOU THINK.

Regards Tom   please ride safe and enjoy.
 ps my motto used to be ( there are no bad rides some just better than others) that was wrong.
     THat was a bad ride.
Now looking for a new moto in life?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:37:38 AM by STOM1100 »
Stom// Farrider 31     All rides are good some just better than others.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Accident Out off action
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
Very sorry to hear of your prang.  Sounds very serious.  I trust you make a good and quick recovery.
Let us know more when you feel like it.

Bill
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »
Tom, at least you are at home.

If there is anything we can do to help you, just drop a line..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
Tom, we've never met, but your story has moved me.  Life can indeed change in a split second, and we never know when that might be around the corner for us.    I pray that your healing and recovery will continue, and that you'll gain strength from the friends and family around you.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:28:57 PM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »
Tom, thank you for sharing your accident and thoughts. It is a good reminder for the rest of us riders for ATGATT.
Take care of yourself and take the time to mend.  Best wishes for your recovery.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »
Tom, what more is there to say than, BUGGER!?!?! Trust the tin-cans to try to wipe us out!.

:A

All my best wishes for a full recovery, even if it takes some time. I wonder what an ST would look like turned into a Trike?  :think1 :think1
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
Speedy recovery Tom. Your message is a sobering reminder that our passion for bikes has its risks, but being prepared can save your life. 

How did your STeed fair?
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline STOM1100

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
The ST Was not the bike riden that day I had a really sweet 2006 Kawa Z1000 which was total destroyed.
The ST was AArg :|||| :|||| :bl11Traded in on a 4 wheel thing Ihave not owned a car from 1977 till now I RIDE BIKES. I startred riding in 1973 and in 1977 got rid of my last car.i rode rain hail or 42deg heat. OOh how i already mis it.
But that is my prob only for awhile .The wife and I where looking at Trike conversion kit from USA to suit ( Sorry GOLDWING) if it happens in about 2 years i see a run around the big paddock being planned.

Thank all for your support. STAY SAFE

Tom
Stom// Farrider 31     All rides are good some just better than others.

Offline keith3po

• Manchester UK, ST1100 - GL1500
    • my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »
Heared story's like this too many times over the years hope all goes well with the recovery the Wing makes a perfect trike.

As an ATGATT reminder hope you don't mind if i repost you're story elsewhere?

Take care Keith
Sometimes  Sometimes
http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
Thanks for the full story (posted minutes after my first post).

Glad to read you're being positive about your recovery.
Did the culprit stop?  Sounds like you could almost have been run over by the following car.
Goldwings are welcome on ST rides.  There's a precedent   ::)

I'll add my prayers to Stinky Pete's.  Enough petitions should get the attention of effective help!   :)
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story Tom :-++ :-++ :-++
I hope you’re able to ride again soon as it sounds like motorcycles are your life’s passion, good luck and all the best for the future :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Skip

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »
Hey Tom. Thanks for sharing. It's a timely reminder never to take anything for granted. I must admit I'm guilty of riding at times without all my gear on. I gratefully receive the reprimand.
I also add my prayers to Pete's & Biggles. You know what they say. 3 prayers are better than 1.
Looking forward to meeting you when you do the lap of the paddock. Don't forget to stay in touch with the group.
Cheers.
Skip.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
G'day Tom - thanks for sharing this debacle. You must only have registered on OzSTOC not long before this happened!

PJ and Steveo shared their unfortunate experiences with us too here   Member injured

We're all rootin' for you to get back to your best health asap.

We'll be keen for updates too mate.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Nh478m

• NH478M
  • Farkled to death - well it was!
    • My '13
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 03:31:56 AM »
STOM1100 thanks for sharing. I can empathise totally with your story and you have my very best wishes for the recovery you want to have. As others have observed the good thing is you're still here and can 'talk' about it and recognise how important the ATGATT rule is.

I hope that unless its what you want, it doesn't rule out riding which you obviously enjoy.

Take it as easy as you need to and do as you're told.

Regards
PJ
PJ

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
Sorry to hear about the incident Tom. Kewdale Road is not the best, with traffic merging from the slip lane. They tend to treat that as a race track against other vehicles, especially trucks.
Look forward to seeing you on a trike soon.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

rjstorrie

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you make a full recovery in time. I have finally got my partner to buy the final parts of her safety gear (after 6months of pestering), boots and kevlar jeans.

I am guilty of not always wearing everything, but try to put on as much as I can without overheating myself. Stories like this remind us SLAP it back into our heads to ALWAYS wear everything no matter what the weather is like.

All the best for the future in both health and bike trike riding.
Rob.

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 09:29:16 PM »
Somebody once said "If it's too hot to wear all the gear then it's too hot to ride"
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Skip

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »
That's why I'm on the search for cool protective gear. Very hard to find. Plenty of gear to keep you warm, but very little suitable gear for the warm climates.  :think1
A good business opportunity ????
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Mypod

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »
Sorry to hear what you have been through, and I add my prayers to everyone else's for a full recovery. Nothing beats good protective gear. Riding is a passion, but as I tell my kids, there is a danger risk as well, no matter how good a rider you are. Speedy recovery mate!

Mypod
Peter
Heaven might not be on earth...but riding sure does come close
Suzuki TS185ER
Suzuki GSX750
Suzuki GSX750EF
Honda ST1100PY 2005