Author Topic: Touring Budget  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
Touring Budget
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »
Heading off in a few days time for National Rally and a tour around Victoria and southern NSW had us thinking how do others break down their travel budget  :think1

Is it a daily allowance you work on ? Do you troll the Internet for accommodation deals before departure or just start looking for any motel when you have had enough, do you live on baked beans from the pannier so you can drink from the top shelf all night  :think1

What works for you and why  :think1
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
Re: Touring Budget
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »
We work on for the 2 of us $200 per day, some days we are in front and others depending on how good the wine list looks the budget gets left tattered  :eek

When touring in new surrounds we work on about 500 k's per day on the road by 7am at the bar or in the pool (or both) by 5pm

This is our "ruff" daily allowance for 2 of us:

$50 Fuel
$50 breakfast/lunch and drinks on the road.
$50 Evening meal
$50 Accommodation

This works out about even for us at the end of a trip, occasional nights we will stay with friends or over do the bar bill, or not travel at all that day.

We generally have all our accommodation and a plan "B" researched prior to departure, but only book a few days ahead.

Pockey  :grin
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:16 AM »
I still find in bizarre that most barmen are called Brett  :whistle  :whistle

Obviously widely and deeply researched.
And more evidence we need an AA thread in here, but NOT with you as Mod or it would all go bad.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »

Quote from: Pocket STocker on 12-03-2014, 10:47:40We work on for the 2 of us $200 per day, some days we are in front and others depending on how good the wine list looks the budget gets left tattered  :eek

When touring in new surrounds we work on about 500 k's per day on the road by 7am at the bar or in the pool (or both) by 5pm

This is our "ruff" daily allowance for 2 of us:

$50 Fuel
$50 breakfast/lunch and drinks on the road.
$50 Evening meal
$50 Accommodation

This works out about even for us at the end of a trip, occasional nights we will stay with friends or over do the bar bill, or not travel at all that day.

We generally have all our accommodation and a plan "B" researched prior to departure, but only book a few days ahead.

That seems like a sensible allowance there Pockey. If glamping it - they are quite realistic these days.

You can see that on these figures - the baked beans whilst 'free' camping puts you well ahead.

That's just made me realise that I can't afford to go to Ballarat!       :||||          :'(           Enjoy yourselves.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »
I don't work to a strict budget and I estimate fuel cost for the whole trip which is the major expense if I go anywhere.

For fuel.....600k minimum for the day...about $60........no set travel times but 8am to about an two hours before sunset is usual.

Not sure on meal costs but could from what we have on hand or from a take-away/roadhouse around $20 for lunch for two.
I don't eat breakfast, Heather needs at least a coffee.
For the evening it's either what we have on hand or what we picked up at a supermarket so maybe $20 again.

Accommodation is free normally.......lots of out of sight from the road places to camp so why throw money away in paid accommodation?

We rarely drink so we don't have to worry about a bar tab......lol

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline jimwilly

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
I do a tour of the snowys every year with some mates. I allow a $1000 for the week this is for food grog fuel and we take turns to pay for a campsite at caravan parks. This year I spent about $700 for the week but drank a bit more this year than last. We also had counter meals every night for tea which adds up. I only do a trip like this once a year so $700 is pretty reasonable, with the kids older and more disposable income a few extra trips might be in order.

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:01:40 AM »
I don't have to worry about a bar tab, as I only drink softies, accommodation is either the side of the road, a tent site or a bed at an internet friends house, and I rarely eat while travelling. I wait till the end of the day. I prefer to travel daylight hours, but have been known to be on the road before 5 am.  My 12000+ km trip through January 2 years ago, 35 nights, there were only 3 rainy nights spent in Motels, one in Morven, central outback Queensland, one in Charters Towers, and one in Rockhampton. I allow enough cash for two tank refills per day that I will be travelling, and for takeaways if needed at night.
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com