Author Topic: Group FaRide Advice  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Group FaRide Advice
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
Hello All,
             I have been Helping out a local riding group here called Darling Downs Riders, and after my little IBA adventure I have quite a bit of interest from some of the members on giving it a whirl....

So I am working on a little group Run to Nambucca in February for those interest and just doing the 1000km stock FR, this is a little different to the IBA run as I will be doing some nursemaiding with them, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on helping a group of 5 or 6 newbies on their first FR run....

I have a basic ride route below, I am keeping it very simple, as there will be sports bikes, cruisers and sports tourers by the look of it

happy for all thoughts and opinion's

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Re: Group FaRide Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
Plan on fuel stops of 320kms at the most.

Try and 'hit the window' - (i.e. don't be there 2 hrs early, waiting for check-in) - it is a test of planning skills to do this.
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »
Make it clear from the start anyone can bail out at any time- there's no "group pressure" to complete the exercise.  Any experience gained is worthwhile and not a waste of time or petrol.  They just need to let you know their intention before they disappear so you're not looking for them.  Or at least send an SMS if they are unable to communicate otherwise.  There's a good "Decision Point" at Warwick where they can go north rather than south.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »
From my own everyday riding since having the ST I find that a 1000km ride is doable in a day (daylight hours) but why go there if you don't need to? I find that I tend to be able to ride more in the afternoons and up to about midnight so If I was doing a FR1000 I'd take advantage of that and bring my start time back to 24 hours before the latest check in time.

I was looking at your route and that's to complicated for me....... This would be mine but I'm not doing it

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »
Streak try this,

You start from Toowoomba and ride out to Miles and then Condamine and then back to Toowoomba, that way everyone sleeps in their own bed and then leave Toowoomba and ride to Nambucca Heads via Glenn Innes.

Sort of like this:-
https://goo.gl/maps/7kAu4

This way YOU are traveling on roads that you are familiar with.

No doubt there are many ways to attack this ride, happy planning.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
Streak, by default your taking responsibility for, in you words 5 or 6 newbies on their first FR.

I suspect your the type of guy who keeps a close eye on whom ever your riding with, so be well rested because you will find yourself riding 5 or 6 bikes in your mirrors and that's a tiring proposition.
Are these guys getting out on their bikes much? if so how far is typical?

Plan fuel stops to the bike with the shortest range and have them ride as a group. When the short range bike stops they will all be stopped and thus get a rest.

Limit the twisty sections of the route to their own dungheap...familiar roads to them.

Simple open type roads once they are approaching their general longest ever previous ride distance.

Just check out who might be on some sort of meds...you never know what people will avoid doing just to stay caught up with the others.

Give them all a copy of the route, fue; locations and your number and the FR host contact numbe...laminated. See it goes in their tank bag too.

Make them understand it's just a game and no ones life depends on them getting their before the clock stops.

Perhaps start Friday pull them up at about 600km roughly and then move on Saturday by 05:30 for a casual trip to the goal posts.

I like that your not spending Friday night after a few K's at home tucked up in bed...tisnt cricket that.

Good luck with it mate...I might join you along the way perhaps?

Goondiwindi, North Star to Warialda is crap at the moment. Roughest Ive seen it in 16 years.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:39:59 PM by Gatey »
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
Gatey where in the rules does it say you cannot stay at home, are we trying to encourage riders or not.

We all had to start somewhere.

Anyway, its posted on FarRiders.

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »

Just check out who might be on some sort of meds...you never know what people will avoid doing just to stay caught up with the others.

:dred11
Gatey mate what is it your implying about riding whilST taking meds.  I take a handfull of 'kickass' meds twice daily, without them I wouldnt be riding much at all. And I dont go taking risks, I always remain safe,and within my capability,, if I'm not feeling it I STop and reST or if need be take MORE, and I am a seasoned distance rider,
I juST dont underSTand your comment.  :think1 do you think  I am a risk?
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 05:27:17 PM »
Johnny I read Gatey's comments as an "awareness" of anyone that may need assistance (without mothering, so to speak) to acheive their objective of obtaining an FR10.

I say that having ridden with you several times and understand your medical situation, I am aware of the objectives that you wish to achieve, and I take my hat off to you.

So, taking meds is not the issue, it's being "aware" of any assist (if any) may be needed if required, for that person taking meds.

I can see that over the years that you have been taken meds, you are very atuned to your bodies needs and requirements.
Cheers

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »
Abe , my bad and Gatey sorry I may have mis-underSTood your poST. I read it and re-acted.. :OldMan with my reply...
  mayBe I can get a pill that will fix it...  :fp  :crackup
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 05:43:34 PM »
I'm not implying anything to the negative at all johnny. I don't give a toss what you take to get through the day...but some people think too much about the need to keep up on a group ride if they are trying something new and from past experience sometimes make bad choices about the management of their minor medical issues and have paid an uncomfortable price.

Perhaps refer to the point of the post...newbies and Streak asking for some advice and ideas to make this outing a success instead of assuming I'm taking a chop at everyone regardless of experience, who  for whatever reason needs any form of medication to make it through the day. Johnny I don't believe I know you well enough to make a call on your risk factores, but I do know your not one of the 5 or 6 newbies under discussion here. A point you have not quite grasped.

Abe I'm old school. Once when you went on a FarRide you went on one. These days for some its a miracle to put two tanks of fuel through in the same calender day.
And I've always played by the rules mate and the intention of the excessive as prescribed by Davo. I understand FR has changed a lot since those days... cant blame a bloke for sticking by his guns.

For the record I'll encourage any one who has a growing passion for taking a good long ride Ade. You might be surprised to learn that once the intention was to try for minimum of at least 500km before lunch and the meeting too. Look hard enough and you'll find that still in the ride formatted page.

No offence intended Abe..just my opinion and like As*(%le's everyone has one.

I'll bite down hard on my tongue.

I just read the warning prompt that another post had appeared whilst I was typing. I previewed those post and I'll hit send anyway..........and go for a few days away on my other bike which is not an ST

Cheers folks
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 06:18:43 PM »
Gatey I did miss the point of the poST and reacted wrongly to the meds comment. for that I apologize to you,
I do underSTand now how your poST was meant.
I'll punish myself later :spank   :fp
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 07:18:03 PM »
Well I log on and read all the good stuff....

Thank you for all he advice and thoughts everyone, I got some great notes and ideas for what to do 😄
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 08:48:10 PM »
Some great advise and comments worth considering.....personally I like the out and back option to a bed/ location your use to sleeping in if the destination selected by FarRiders works for you, particularly when new to the sport. We did our first 2 of 4 FR10's in this manner

Newbies tend not to have aux lighting so the more they can do in daylight hours the safer they are and feel and I for one in a new bed mostly get minimal sleep for the first night if your planning to sleep at all

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 09:09:22 PM »
I'm not implying anything to the negative at all johnny. I don't give a toss what you take to get through the day...but some people think too much about the need to keep up on a group ride if they are trying something new and from past experience sometimes make bad choices about the management of their minor medical issues and have paid an uncomfortable price.

Perhaps refer to the point of the post...newbies and Streak asking for some advice and ideas to make this outing a success instead of assuming I'm taking a chop at everyone regardless of experience, who  for whatever reason needs any form of medication to make it through the day. Johnny I don't believe I know you well enough to make a call on your risk factores, but I do know your not one of the 5 or 6 newbies under discussion here. A point you have not quite grasped.

Abe I'm old school. Once when you went on a FarRide you went on one. These days for some its a miracle to put two tanks of fuel through in the same calender day.
And I've always played by the rules mate and the intention of the excessive as prescribed by Davo. I understand FR has changed a lot since those days... cant blame a bloke for sticking by his guns.

For the record I'll encourage any one who has a growing passion for taking a good long ride Ade. You might be surprised to learn that once the intention was to try for minimum of at least 500km before lunch and the meeting too. Look hard enough and you'll find that still in the ride formatted page.

No offence intended Abe..just my opinion and like As*(%le's everyone has one.

I'll bite down hard on my tongue.

I just read the warning prompt that another post had appeared whilst I was typing. I previewed those post and I'll hit send anyway..........and go for a few days away on my other bike which is not an ST

Cheers folks

No offence taken Gatey, I like a person with a passion for a sport.  You will never be a square peg for a round hole   ;-*, but, yes, times have changed, BUT, we should never forget the past, but enbrace the future.

Enjoy your ride on your other bike :thumb
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:13:12 PM by Abe »

Member of the 4 D Gang