Author Topic: Spark plug replacement  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Spark plug replacement
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
Inspired by Diesel's exhortation to get the odd jobs done early rather than the day before departure, I decided to install the Iridium plugs I got from saaz at mate's rates.

This job doesn't warrant a series of photos, since it's fairly straight-forward.

However, you'll need to beg, borrow or buy yourself these:

Remove the little side access cover (phillips head screwdriver and finger nails).
Then remove the silver plastic head cover.  If you haven't done this to top up the oil, you're in for a treat.
First, poke your fingers into the little gap at the back and lift as far as you can.  This lifts a rubber grommet off a metal pin.  Then move the cover forward, lifting gently as you go.  From here on, you're on your own getting the right one off.  The left one seems to be easier off and on.  Once you get it off, you'll be able to see how it's held in place and replace it appropriately.
Now use those strong fingers to pull the front plug cap up.  Again, if you haven't done this before and are used to cars, you're in for a surprise.  Mother Honda seems to have buried the plugs in the bottom of the engine.
That's why you need that long bar.  I have the angled one which is dual purpose- it's an extension (with a shifting spanner to turn it) and it's a breaker bar (for reluctant bolts/ nuts).
Snap your 5/8" plug socket onto the extension bar.  Before you go poking it in the chasm, put a spot of BluTack on the end.  Dedicated plug sockets have a nice rubber sleeve in them that grips the plug to retrieve it.  Mine does, but it didn't hold tightly enough, hence the adhesive gum.
It takes 9 turns to remove the plug.  Pull it up gently and it should be in the socket.  I mark mine with a felt tip pen just to keep track of the characteristics of the cylinders.  My front right burns richer than the front left, for example.
A tiny spot of BluTack inside the socket to hold the plug and you ease it into the hole.  After 9 turns, it will seat.  Tighten it a maximum of 1/4 turn.  At this point you are flattening the new seating washer, so don't overdo it.  Someone will put a torque wrench value in here if they think it's important.
You can't put the wrong lead on the plug- they're just the right length.
Run the motor to check you haven't broken it.
If you check the oil visiglass straight away you might think you need to add oil.  Give it ten minutes to run back into the sump for a truer reading.  Of course, this is done on the centre stand, just in case someone is reading this who is even less of a mechanic than I am, if that's possible.   :o
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:07:24 AM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Spark plug replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
Does the ST13 come with a spark plug tool?  I know I have done the ST11 plugs a few times, and the Honda tool is far and away the easier way to do it.  Those rear plugs are  :cuss
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Online STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
Don't forget to blow and crap away from around the plugs before you remove them. Don't want any little stones or dead beetles falling into the cylinders.

:bl11

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »
Don't forget to blow and crap away from around the plugs before you remove them. Don't want any little stones or dead beetles falling into the cylinders.

It's very clean down in the ST13's plug holes.  The cap makes a very good seal.
You would need compressed air to blow down there- we're talking at least 6 inches here.  I looked down each time and it was spotless.
Maybe saaz needs to write up the ST11 procedure, especially if foreign objects around the plugs is an issue.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »
ST1100 also has a great seal around the plug holes.  The main issue with the ST1100 is the 2 rear cylinders. A real pain to access even with a flexible attachment to a plug socket. The honda tool is hinged just right and works a treat. I will take a photo and post up.

It's very clean down in the ST13's plug holes.  The cap makes a very good seal.
You would need compressed air to blow down there- we're talking at least 6 inches here.  I looked down each time and it was spotless.
Maybe saaz needs to write up the ST11 procedure, especially if foreign objects around the plugs is an issue.

John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:39 PM »
John, is that with the maintenance panel on or off?
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
Maintenance panel has to come off.  With other sockets, flexible joints etc I found it was also easier to undo the bolt holding on the upper fairing to the frame as you could then bend it out a bit to get access.  I have the accessory wind deflectors so they have to come off with the maintenance panel each time as well.

John, is that with the maintenance panel on or off?
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE