Honda ST1300 Section > Suspension ST1300

Driveline Problem - Blown UV Joint

(1/6) > >>

StinkyPete:
On the run back home from Silverton, I noticed a vibration being transmitted through the footpegs.  It was more noticeable when travelling over undulations where is would show when the suspension unloaded.  It is definitely speed ralated as the frequency of the grumble or vibration changes with speed.   On the centrestand and in gear it sounds quite untidy.

I drained the final drive oil and it's clean with no metal present.  I had the rear wheel off today and the drive rubbers are fine, the bearings feel good and brake is fine.    Drive splines all look OK.     She goes into the dealer tomorrow for a diagnosis, and the service manager suspects a knackered UV joint.

This is a bugger, as she's now off the road.    :cuss      I guess I'll have to mow lawns, dig vegies, mind grandies, hide in my shed while wearing my helmet, cook, and do dishes and other domestic tasks until she's well again.    :'(

Sicman:
Bugga :fp :'(

richo:
Hopefully you will not be off the road for too long. 

ST2UP:
How does the rear tyre look Pete......is it out of round ?? I hit a big pothole once and damaged the cords in a bias tyre that gave same symptoms you discribed  :think1

StinkyPete:

--- Quote from: ST2UP on October 19, 2015, 08:46:30 PM ---How does the rear tyre look Pete......is it out of round ?? I hit a big pothole once and damaged the cords in a bias tyre that gave same symptoms you discribed  :think1

--- End quote ---

It's a new rear, only fitted a couple of weeks ago, and I don't believe it's tyre related.   With the checks I did today, I think I have eliminated anything to do with the rear wheel or brake, which leaves the driveline.    Because it's a feint but repetitive "clunK, clunk, clunk" as it idles in gear on the centrestand,  Moto Adelaide might be right in suspecting the universal joint, but can't know for sure until it's pulled out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version