Honda ST1100 Section > "How To..." Instructions and Pics for Regular Maintenance Jobs specific to the ST1100...

How I repaired an ABS Wheel Sensor

(1/3) > >>

tjmaskell:
Hi everyone. Having owned my first Honda ST 1100 for less than 2 months,I was slightly shocked when the abs lights failed to go out as per usual on riding off. Fearing expensive ECUs etc I was happy upon doing the spin test to find it was just a $400 sensor. Not wanting to lighten my wallet by $400 and having the handle MacGyver I naturally decided to fix the broken one. Now yours might not have the same problem but this is what I found. When you examine the sensor you notice its sealed around the top with glass like resin. Remove this ,I used a 3 mm wide chisel and vice and after 20 minutes of careful chipping was all out revealing the cause of the failure. The 3 wires virtually fell out with the rubber sleave. A mass of green corroded copper wire was all that was left. Luckily there was some insulation left to record the colours and order. Next with long nose pliers twist whats left of the wires into pigtails (see photo).I then made a pvc disc. on the lathe ,( a button will probably do) filled the cavity with 2 pac epoxy glue and placed the button over the 3 wires so they now protruding through (see photo) .Overnite to harden, now we have a solid base to work with. Ok with a stanley knife carefully scrape the sticking through copper wire , dab with Bakers soldering fluid and solder on the 3 new wires, tape the tops together ie tripod like so they dont fall over. Now fill the cavity with epoxy liquid metal, and leave overnite to harden. Shrink Warp the 3 to form 1 and solder back to the original lead and install. Works well. Thanks!

Brock:
Nicely done, and good result.

tjmaskell:
Thanks Brock, I am sure many sensors are discarded with the same problem. It's a design fault, moisture copper, aluminum and electricity, trouble for sure. Cheers, Trevor

Biggles:
And they can charge $400 for that bit of equipment!?    :eek
Would cost $5 to make, including the machined bracket.

Gadget:
I was happy up until "Bakers soldering fluid". It's made from:

Zinc Chloride 30-60%
Ammonium Chloride <10%
Hydrochloric Acid <2%
Water Balance

I don't recommend using it near electronics because it can create corrosion of the copper.

That said, the remedy is very creative thinking. And $400 is $400. :thumbs

sent using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version