Honda ST1300 Section > Tyres...to suit your ST1300

The Lure of the Darkside

<< < (2/10) > >>

Williamson:

--- Quote from: Scarlett Thunderbolt on September 06, 2017, 01:13:09 PM --- After our last long distance trip with Miss Scarlett, Rolling Thunder attached and the Navigator/QuarterMaster aboard, we were dismayed to see how much wear the rear tyre (Bridgestone Battlax) had taken... as a Sport Touring tyre, the hard compound centre hardly wore at all, while the softer compound shoulders seemed to melt away like butter...
--- End quote ---

Quite the opposite experience for me when touring with Mrs W, full panniers and top box on the ST1300, and previously on the CB1300.  Even worse towing the Elite trailer, and previously the Classic trailer.

Perhaps I'm giving it too much throttle in a straight line, or not cornering hard enough.

Scarlett Thunderbolt:
  went for another ride today, to test dropping the air pressure down to 24psi... in a word - yuck! ... it felt flabby (technical term) and it wallowed... so into the servo and back up to 32psi... with Kate aboard and loaded trailer attached - good.

don't get me wrong - it's different to using an MC tyre, but the differences are minor and we feel that it's nothing that we won't get used to.

StinkyPete:

--- Quote from: Scarlett Thunderbolt on September 11, 2017, 05:50:05 PM ---  went for another ride today, to test dropping the air pressure down to 24psi... in a word - yuck! ... it felt flabby (technical term) and it wallowed... so into the servo and back up to 32psi... with Kate aboard and loaded trailer attached - good.

don't get me wrong - it's different to using an MC tyre, but the differences are minor and we feel that it's nothing that we won't get used to.

--- End quote ---

Fair enough, and it's interesting to hear your feedback compared to running a darkside at 24psi on a Boulevard 109. 

Gadget:
I think centre of gravity could make a big difference in tyre pressures.

Also the rim width of the 109 is quite wide, so the aspect ratio is probably different, in order to get to the OEM tyre radius.

That would make a difference in sidewall height. Which would change sidewall stiffness.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Scarlett Thunderbolt:

--- Quote from: Gadget on September 11, 2017, 06:40:53 PM ---I think centre of gravity could make a big difference in tyre pressures.

Also the rim width of the 109 is quite wide, so the aspect ratio is probably different, in order to get to the OEM tyre radius.

That would make a difference in sidewall height. Which would change sidewall stiffness.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

yep... you may have something there... the STeed's rim width (as embossed on the rim) is 5inches... some may be 5.5... the 109RT looks to have 8inch rims and takes a 225/60-16 tyre... so, yep, different horses for courses... and of course - our STeeds are prettier!

... and as an added bonus - previously, 4000rpm = 110-ish kph (and the FI light comes on if you hold there too long or go over).... seems to be a ST13003 quirk... and now 3999rpm = 118-ish kph (not an exact scientific trial), no FI indicator light ... good darts!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version