General Category > Members Health & Wellbeing

Donating Plasma

(1/4) > >>

ruSTynutz:
I've been a blood donor on and off for many years but in the last year or so I also started donating plasma.
Previously I'd never really thought about donating plasma as the nearest centre that collected plasma was a bit over an hour away so I was happy enough just donating blood when the mobile blood donor unit visited every 3-4 months.

It wasn't until my wife went through breast cancer and as part of her treatment had to have radiotherapy for 5 1/2 weeks in Traralgon that I had the bright idea of donating plasma while we were over there.
With plasma you can donate fortnightly so I managed to squeeze in a couple of donations in that time.

Since then I've done quite a few donations, mostly combining it with a ride on my ST...

Which brings me to today...Being pretty much house bound with this Covid 19, making a plasma donation offered a legitimate reason to get out of the house and get out for a ride...
It would also give Sue a break from having to put up with me 24/7... :rofl

All I can say is, what a shame I had to ride all the way to Traralgon to donate... :runyay

Well, I managed to get rid of an entire afternoon which was such a chore, especially with the sun shining brightly... :whistle
I'm not sure how it happened but I even managed to take a couple of wrong turns on the way home (accidentally of course) so had to suffer an even longer journey! Damn, the things I have to put up with!!!  :||||

Anyhow, if you're hanging out for a ride, there's worse things you could be doing than combining it with a plasma donation.
You'll blow those cobwebs out of your head and come home feeling all warm and fuzzy after doing your bit to help others...  :thumbs

Today's Route...

Wild Rose:
Well done  :hatwave
As a former blood doner
My Doctor has told not to donate whole blood something to do with my red blood cell but I can donate Plasma but I have never done it
You have just made me realise I should actually start doing it
So next week I will go and give my first plasma donation maybe on the bike
Thanks for the suggestion  ++
Who else is going to do it  :popcorn

ruSTynutz:
Thanks Leo!  :thumbs

It takes longer than a normal blood donation, probably around an hour and a quarter or so all up.
I usually take my eBook reader to while away the time...

StinkyPete:
I had been a blood donor since I was 17, but being a cancer survivor, my blood is no longer required.   

ruSTynutz:
Hi Pete, according to "Life Blood" in most cases you can donate again if you remain free of cancer five years after completing treatment.

https://www.donateblood.com.au/faq/cancer

Sue had just started donating when she had her diagnosis, she is O negative which, as you're probably aware of is the blood product of choice in an emergency.
She's looking forward to donating again in the future, fingers crossed of course...  :X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version