General Category > Active Polls

Is it time for a change ?

(1/5) > >>

ST2UP:
Our annual subscription to pay our Web Hosting service is nearly due. We have been with this company that is owned by a long term OzSTOC member for about 7 years. They have always provided the service we require and are quick to respond to outages and changes etc.

The annual cost is $700.

We have a very generous offer from another long term member who provides Web Hosting to host our clubs Website and Forum for free. Very generous offer I’m sure you will agree.

When the time of year arrives I go cap in hand on the forum to ask for your lazy few dollars to keep us afloat and able to pay our hosting invoice. Generally we end up with 25% to 50% over our hosting needs.....only once we fell short and Pockey and I covered that one.

We use the additional few dollars for covering other costs the member doesn’t tend to see I.E National Rally guest speaker costs, OzSTOC prepaid phone, purchase of shop supplies, business cards for you to handout etc.

While the shop use to make a few hundred dollars a year to help towards the clubs bits and pieces it has died off dramatically. I believe this is due to not often used quality products that don’t need replacement and a big down turn in new membership, and those couple that do join each month don’t usually purchase from the shop. The shops profit since the beginning of this year is less than $20 with a couple of thousand worth of merchandise in stock.

So if we move to a free Web hosting provider, how can I in all good faith go cap in hand to members for a few dollars each year from those who are prepared to assist for services that you don’t necessarily see if we move to a free service provider of our forum and website.

So my question is stay as we are and put a few dollars in still as we have OR change providers and still throw in a few less dollars for the incidentals.

What’s your thoughts ?? Vote in the Poll.

Cheers

CallMeSteve:
I think we can all accept that there are many costs in running this awesome club apart from the big ticket item of the web hosting. It’s easy for us all to see the value of the web site because it keeps us all together, but any club needs to cover a range of operating costs and it’s right that these should be shared among the members.

So I see no problem in continuing to pass the hat around. It’s just a smaller hat, that’s all.

Brock:
I am for moving, only because of the financial benefit. Our current provider has been excellent and is to be congratulated.

Biggles:
I'm for moving so long as we're not taking advantage of the person offering it for free.  I'd prefer we paid him something for his trouble and to help with his own costs, even if it's only a couple of hundred dollars.  I also agree we who benefit from the Forum should continue to tip in an annual subscription.  Do we own the stock of regalia outright or do we still owe money for that?  Obviously the "club" should own its shop's stock, and any excess funds be used to offset any debt.
Maybe there could be a reminder to those who attend RTEs that club regalia is available and it's good to be identified as a member.

StinkyPete:
I also support the change to the free providor.   In a small club running on a shoestring, a $700 pa saving is consderable.   That being said, we should continue to have the annual call for donations, so that we can have a small reserve.  Is it appropriate to name the current providor, so that ordinary members could express their appreciation, as I know there have been a few times they have gone "above and beyond"? 

I really appreciate being part of this group, which works together to support our mutual love of travel & motorcycling, and through OzSTOC I can go anywhere in this vast country and still be able to meet with friends.  ++

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version