Farkles, Gear & Accessories > Cams, Cam Mounts, Editing Software...

Go Pro Thread...

(1/7) > >>

Diesel:
Discuss all Go Pro stuff here...

Shiney:
I recently got a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition to be used on the ride to and from the 2013 OzSTOC National Rally.

The benefits of the GoPro over some other cams is:

•   Smart phone app (setup and change modes on the fly, control and live video preview)
I have used the app and it works very well but… it will stop any music that is being played on your phone so it can give you an audio preview of the audio being recorded.

•   Built-in Wi-Fi connection (connect to your smart phone app or Wi-Fi Remote) (remote is the same as the app but without video preview)
•   Any and all adjustments can be made on the fly (some other cams require you to plug them into a computer to change modes.)
Very handy if you want to switch between photos and video or want to change to any of the other modes.

•   5, 7 or 12 Megapixel photo capture (can do photo burst up to an insane 30 photos in 1 sec)
•   Time laps photos (every 0.5, 1, 2, 10, 30 or 60 seconds)
I love this, being able to do time laps photos of trips is very handy for capturing more of the ride without filling up the memory card. (I have it set to 1 photo every 30 sec)

•   It takes micro SD cards to store data and will accept up to a 64gig card
•   Wide angle lens
•   Professional grade low light (or so it says)
I have found it to be able to pick up details very well in lots of different lighting situations so I guess they could be right.

•   Video can be recorded at cinema quality (way above HD quality) or down to WVGA.
I just use 720p / 60fps so as to save memory.

•   Waterproof case
One downside with the waterproof case is that it doesn’t give access to charge the battery at the same time as using the cam.
A “case” can be purchased that allows the cam to be charged while in use but it is literally just a plastic strap that runs around the unit and doesn’t provide any protection for the lens.
I got around this by drilling a hole in the side of the waterproof case to fit the charging cable and ran heaps of electrical tape around the cable to fill the hole when the cable is plugged in.
I can’t go underwater with it anymore but I didn’t get it to go diving :wink1

Picture example:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/ShineyOzSTOC/500km%20ride%20report%2006-02-13/G0060580_zpsf0a42e5a.jpg

And in a slideshow:
500km ride report 06-02-13 Photos

Video example:
(It lost a bit of quality when I edited it and uploaded to you tube and this vid is my 1st attempt at doing of that)

500km ride report 06-02-13.avi

I’ll put up some more vids as I get better at setting it all up

Cheers
Shiney

Lionel:
Thanks for the info, Shiney.
I'm thinking of buying one. Though I'm a bit worried about its audio capability.
It makes your bike sound like a tractor.

Marcus:

--- Quote from: Lionel on February 24, 2013, 04:57:13 PM ---Though I'm a bit worried about its audio capability.

--- End quote ---
That's mostly the wind noise...not alot you can do about it. I usually edit the sound after in an my editing program

Shiney:

--- Quote from: Marcus on February 25, 2013, 07:10:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: Lionel on February 24, 2013, 04:57:13 PM ---Though I'm a bit worried about its audio capability.

--- End quote ---

That's mostly the wind noise...not alot you can do about it. I usually edit the sound after in an my editing program

--- End quote ---

Right you are Marcus, :-++

Lionel,
An external microphone can be added to the unit to improve sound quality.  :thumbs

This is the link to the GoPro mic adapter:

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/3-5mm-mic-adapter

I hope this has been of some help

Cheers
Shiney

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version