Farkles, Gear & Accessories > Cams, Cam Mounts, Editing Software...

Helmet mounted cameras illegal in Vic. Elsewhere too?

<< < (4/4)

youngSTer:
Clarification on legality of helmet-mounted cameras
BY MARK HINCHLIFFEIN TIPS/TRAINING — 1 JAN, 2014
20140101-165833.jpgIf you are fined for having a GoPro or similar camera mounted to your motorcycle helmet, fight it.
A complaint on Facebook says a rider in Victoria was fined for wearing a Go Pro on their helmet and there have been unsubstantiated claims that riders In Queensland have been harassed by police for having cameras on their helmets.
[RECOMMENDED READING: What to do if pulled over by the police] However, there is no law against fitting anything to a helmet, so long as it does not corrupt the “structural integrity” of the helmet, which means you can’t drill holes in the helmet.
Cameras that are stuck, fitted via a suction cap, or screwed to the side via a clamp are fine. So are Bluetooth units attached in a similar fashion.
So if you are issued a ticket for having a camera fitted in this fashion, take a photo of the helmet at the time of the ticket being issued, don’t pay the fine, and fight the offence.
The Australian Standards says that no protrusion of greater than 5mm is allowed, but that refers to the manufacturing process as opposed to aftermarket products such as cameras and Bluetooth.
If a camera or other device is screwed into the helmet by drilling holes then it is interfering with the structural integrity of the helmet and the safety of the rider, and an offence is committed.
[In Queensland it is an offence for riders under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road Rules) Regulation 2009 Section 270 (1) (a) Wearing motorbike helmets; and for for passengers it is under Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road Rules) Regulation 2009 Section 271(2).] In Queensland, the penalty is $330 and three points. Queensland police did not have any records of anyone being fined.
It would be strange if they did fine anyone for such an offence given recent comments suggesting cyclists fit them to their helmets to collect evidence of drivers intimidating them on the roads.
If you have been fined for this offence, please leave your comment in the box below.
Also, be aware that police may and have confiscated helmet cams for evidence of traffic offences.
RECOMMENDED READING: Fined $330 for loose helmet strap and Are helmet cams safe?

alans1100:
Just adding to this after I spoke to one of our resident SAPOL girls today.

With the hassle with cams in Victoria and some other states I asked about the SA Police view. She saw no problem as other officers also used cams on their helmets. With her wanting to know more I explained that when the standards were changed it allowed for a 5mm limit for out side attachments to the helmet which we now have with various air vents being allowed on a helmet. The mount that gets stuck to the helmet doesn't modify the helmet in anyway and is fairly close to 5mm but with the cam on that height is exceeded and could be seen as a permanent fixture by some.  She understands the issue but doesn't know much more than her current knowledge. With that being said she herself became curious and will take it up with Police traffic branch and get back to me in the near future.

Shiney:
:popcorn :popcorn

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

spanner:
 :popcorn :popcorn x 2!!

alans1100:
Anita (Police Officer) rang me today.

The word from the SAPOL Traffic Branch is that providing a cam mounted to the helmet isn't a permanent attachment then we are fine. A stick on mount is fine. On the other hand if you drilled holes in your helmet then that becomes a modification which might see you in trouble.

This is a guess on my part but I would see the same status would apply to rider communication mounts as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version