Author Topic: Long distance rides and cramps  (Read 4271 times)

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
Long distance rides and cramps
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
G'Day STriders,

My recent trip to Ebor enlightened me more on the problem of cramps and long-distance riding.

First of all, heat and dehydration is the main issue. On the way to the Middleton AGM I was distressed by cramps and turned back on the second day to return to the Gong. I tried to hydrate properly but my heart medicines incompatibility with Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium and Quinine prevented me from using any of the popular commercial products to mitigate the cramps.

On the night b4 the Ebor trip I couldn't get to sleep at all cause of the memories of the Middleton trip. So I started the ride a bit groggy and was worried about this as well.

So how did the Ebor trip go - (a similar day's ride of 8+ hrs)?

Not one serious cramp. Why? Cold weather. No sweating. Instead of being heated by the STeed I was kept warm.

Other factors: Bought an AirHawk cushion. With the smallest amount of air this cushion keeps your tush off the seat and allows circulation to flow. Also, whenever u want u can do a tush-wiggle on the bed of air that is created by the cushion. Might look funny from behind but who cares.  :butt

The only thing I would change is to add a woollen seat cover cause the cushion seems a little slippery and the cover would solve this and the cover would also hide the cushion from scumbag thieves. I lent my seatcover to A2Z to try out on the trip and when he gets his own, it will b going on the AirHawk.

Another factor was the LDComfort underwear that is comfortable but I think is more effective in hot weather because then, far less other undergarments are necessary.

Lastly, a tip from Abe, seems to work for me. I took a thermos of warm chocolate milk along. I also tried this out on my recent trip to Nundle and it seemed to make a difference then as well, (in hot weather). Milk has a small amount of Potassium and Magnesium that is not a problem with my medicines. Plus it provides some rehydration.

So what's the gist of this? Hot weather is much more likely to cause cramps. Good seats are very important. Milk is good. And lastly of course, stop and stretch as often as u feel like.   :runyay
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Re: Long distance rides and cramps
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »
Brilliant! glad you worked it out... I hated reading that ride report of yours about Middleton...

Now you need to narrow it down even more... (you don't want to do all that stuff everytime)

As for the Airhawke. I have mine pumped up alot. As aposed to what everyone says about only having enough air to allow a gap between seat and bum. I noticed that made a big difference to me, personally, sits me higher, kind straightens the legs a bit more.

Or a Hydration Pack
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/OOHYPN2LE/title/ogio-erzberg-550-le-hydration-pack

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
Thanx Marcus,

Am amazed by your preference for more inflation in the AirHawke. Could it be that the inflation is altering the angle of your seating position to where u really like it and that you don't have any real problem with circulation cause u r younger than me?

Yeah m8, that Middleton ride was so scary. But the adrenaline rush I got from surviving lasted for a week. Surely the best value natural drug high u can get!  :hatwave
"Illogical Captain".

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:05:56 PM »
Am amazed by your preference for more inflation in the AirHawke. Could it be that the inflation is altering the angle of your seating position to where u really like it and that you don't have any real problem with circulation cause u r younger than me?
Yeah I don't have bad circulation problems, I tried with just a little bit of air but found myself getting numb bum after a while, having more air helped me alot, and also I'm just guessing that straightening the leg angle would also help with circulation flow...

I don't know, but give it a shot. It couldn't hurt.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:43:36 PM »
Part of the problem with having a lot of air in the Hawk is it makes you less firmly placed in the saddle, so when you accelerate you tend to roll back and then forward when you brake.  I'm guessing if you inflate it more than it was when I experienced that, then it becomes firm enough not to cause the "rolling" movement.
Obviously it all boils down to getting it to do what works for you.  That's the beauty of the adjustable pressure feature compared with the gel-seat variety that I wasted money on while experimenting.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Hey ST. George,
I too shuddered when reading your middleton report...so glad you made it home safely as it could have ended oh so differently.
I wish you well with your endevours to find solutions to the fatigue/ comfort issues so you can enjoy some trouble free miles.....Cheers Brian
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 12:32:36 AM »
Hey Marcus and Brian,

I guess what I was trying to do by relating my troubles to the forum was to find out if other members exist who really understand how re-entering the motorcycling adventure after 20 years is an experience that can be life-changing and even life-threatening.   :eek

My eyes have been opened to the existence of people like yourselves who not only understand my travails but care enough to respond and encourage me to continue the adventure. Thank you. Looking forward to meeting up one day, (after a lengthy but safe stint in the saddle of a STeed).  :hatwave

And BTW, if either of u have a red STeed then my dragon Wyvern would like to exchange some HEAT!  :H  :rofl
"Illogical Captain".

Offline STill dreaming

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:26:06 AM »
Air hawk's are funny bit's of kit ,some people never like them but i think it's all down to set up,for me i have very little air in mine and it works well. Sorry to hear about the cramp issue ,iv'e had them before and it's very painful ,i say what ever works and keeps you on the road is worth the effort.
No longer dreaming. Past bikes,XR80 1979,DT175 1980,XT250 G 1980(X2), XT 250T, GPZ900r (x2), H100, TT350, TTR250.  current bikes Honda Varadero 1999, GPZ 900r 1986, XT 250T 1987, and newest and best , 2006 ST1300.

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »
We all develop our own strategies to deal with the discomforts of long distance travel StGeorge, and I'm glad that you are finding yours.   I move my feet from the riders pegs and hook my heels on the pillion pegs, and the change in position gives some relief to my calves.    I couldn't get on with my Airhawk, but I'll hang my arse first off one side of the seat, and then the other for a couple of kilometers.  I also use a throttle lock.    So between the foot position changes, arse hanging and throttle lock, I'm able to cope quite nicely to long days in the saddle.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »
Thanx guys, your comments are valuable, interesting and appreciated.  :hatwave
"Illogical Captain".

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
Thanx guys, your comments are valuable, interesting and appreciated.  :hatwave

As are yours, and thanks for starting this thread. It'll sure help other riders suffering similar issue.

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
I also do a lot of moving around in the seat, and feet on rear pegs, tip over wings, throttle lock, stand up on pegs through slow towns, etc, to help with the blood flow. Interesting about the milk, one I hadn't thought of.

:bl11

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
Using highway pegs as I ride thru each town has made a huge difference to the kms I can ride. Allowing that extra circulation in the legs is the key for me. The occasional stand on the pegs thru town is good too.

Cheers
 :slvr13
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »
Good subject.....I would like to add, start your bike exercises before you feel you need them, makes the world of difference.

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »
I find the gel seat a vast improvement over the OEM and even better with the seat cover. It would have been great just to have those two items for the few 4000k rides I did between 2007 and 2009.

Standing on the pegs every so often certainly helps but not in a town for me. Feet back on the rear pegs for a few k's but can't do that when I have Heather with me. Stretching the legs out over the wings helps as well. Other than the needed fuel stops I usually stop, get a drink and walk around for 10 to 15 minutes every 100 or so kms. More often if hot, less often if colder.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 06:11:42 PM »
As Chris has said doing the exercises before the trouble starts is an important key to prevention.
St George have you noticed a difference in good or bad days not spent on the bike? Might be worth a chat with your doc about the issue.

I have no idea how often your on the bike but I know that in the weeks leading up to a big ride I use every excuse I can to get a few miles on the bike just to keep some ride fitness going. Being in the zone eliminates any travel anxiety and prevents that extra bit of tension from occurring and helps me stay relaxed.. If your a coffee hound like me then just cut a mug or two out each day leading up to the ride. I used to go cold turkey but found it better for me to just cut the number a bit.

Getting up on the pegs in the 80 zones for even a few seconds helps. Try twisting your trunk from side to side then if its safe curl up and stretch out as far back as comfortable at least once every hour and don't slump as this restricts your organs and your blood flow. Sit up and breath in a few times. Good breaths but don't over do it.
I saw a great set of Hwy pegs on Ash's bike. I think you would benefit from any type of Hwy peg.

Take note of how far you can travel comfortably before you need a stop and judge your short rests...I mean take the time to notice if you need a stop sooner than latter. Pulling up a quiet side road and having a short walk with the camera will bear fruit in the pics department too.

Tight cloths will bring on cramps if your unfit...which is a good number of us. Tight socks or too many layers makes everything a squeeze and your going to inadvertently cut circulation without meaning to.
If your adding layers to fight cold then make sure to let the straps or zips or stubs out a bit. And if its getting hot jump on the brakes and get ride of the liner and open a few vents including the ones in your lid. Don't fall for the  " I'll stop in the next town" trap before taking action.

My preference is riding in the cooler months but both seasons require a different approach in my planning and gear but both require my attention to conditions and what my body is telling me. I act ASAP these days.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »
I have a stand and wriggle in every town we go through weather I need it or not, somewhere on our way home from Victoria we where both standing up in a 60 road works section and the car driver behind us tooted and tooted their horn, not happy about it apparently  :crackup

Pockey  :thumb
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
I think everyone is different.  I don't do many leg stretches compared to some, but definitely do some isometric exercises that I used to do on the trips to Europe and back on the plane.  Lots of tensing up the legs and upper body like resistance training. But nothing beats actually getting off the biek for a walk, stretch etc.

But as Gatey says, if you feel like you need more of a stop, just do it.  I work on doing the first tank before a stop, then after that depends how I feel.  Could be another tank, could be 2 hours or less.  Weather makes a big difference,  and travelling wth someone else seems to make it easier to extend the stops (depends who it is of course - I might travel with those with far better FarRider credentials than I ever will).
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline doggy & Nola

• (chris)
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
some times my knees give me lots of discomfort like 100k mark I need to stop. then by the 4-500k mark I need to stop every  60-70k
 I found boxer under wear to have helped. I think the elastic band in the jocks cut circulation.
   but my bicep femoris  tends to get tender with boxers
mum told me i was born with a bar  later in life i found out it was a handlebar

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »
G'day STretchers,
 :thumb :thumbsup :clap :thumbs
All good advice. Thank you. We are all different in our fitness levels, age, experience and health issues but there are factors in common to all of us. Hydration, preparation, circulation techniques, seat options, clothing, throttle locks and wing footpegs can contribute to solving the problem of chronic cramps and general discomfort.

I'm pretty much satisfied now that I can manage my cramps after that horror ride in the heat towards Middleton. I must have been dehydrated even b4 I started that day cause after only 2.5 hrs the cramps were affecting me noticeably. I won't hesitate in future to take as many breaks as I need to hydrate and stretch as often as I need as there is nothing to gain by doing anything else.
Any other advice, stories, anecdotes? Keep them coming - they're all good reading.  :hatwave
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:39:01 PM by ST.George »
"Illogical Captain".