Author Topic: iPhone 5s camera... outstanding  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
iPhone 5s camera... outstanding
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »
I was think about upgrading my camera to a DSLR and just keeping it in my pannier for those photo moments.

But after seeing this I'm now really on the fence...

http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-5s-review-patagonia

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: iPhone 5s camera... outstanding
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
I was think about upgrading my camera to a DSLR and just keeping it in my pannier for those photo moments.

But after seeing this I'm now really on the fence...

http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-5s-review-patagonia

that's a fantastic little article mate
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »
I think it depends n what type of photos you want to take.
I reckon (= opinion) that a sound system is only as good as it's speakers allow; a radio is only as good as it's antenna, a camera is only as good as it's lens, and so on.
There's no doubt that tiny lenses have improved heaps over recent years but you are limited with adjustment of the lens. My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 takes impressive snaps, but if I take a photo from my favourite coffee spot at Hervey Bay it doesn't pick up the detail of Fraser Island in the background and I can't really zoom in to get it as the camera is limited to digital zoom. Same thing when I was coming back from the Toowoomba RTE the other day and took the photo of the great road leading to Maleny with the Glasshouse mountains in the background..
The video above show improvement in the sensor (?) and how it picks up better detail in the snow covered mountain, but I don't think that's the whole story... unless you only want good snaps. If you were initially thinking of a DSLR camera I would think that you were after some decent photographs.

Of course a camera in you phone is pretty convenient!

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
A good shortcut to a really good website which shows all the really good things about the camera capabilities of a PHONE!!. People are getting more and more persuaded to do away with a camera and just use their phone, whilst sort of forgetting that the thing is a phone...not a camera.

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the good things that are happening with the Apple phone cameras, they impress the hell out of me I promise you. But I am aware that they start life as a phone, so this sort of improvement just blows me away! Hell they will even take and display pictures, play music, act as a telephone directory and access the Internet...all while you walk down the street. Oh, and they can make or receive phone-calls as well!!. Is this a dammed clever little box, or what???

:phone  :fp
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »
Wow some great reading in that article, thanks Marcus  :thumbsup

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »
As Rodd has mentioned there is a limit to the capabilities of the camera in the iPhone, but that's not to say that they're not pretty damm impressive! I find that you can do so much more with a DSLR camera, however they are much larger to cart around, particularly if you're pressed for space. My personal preference is the DSLR, and I'll use that whenever possible. I have a Canon with a couple of interchangable lens's and find it works well for me. :thumbsup 
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!