Honda ST1100 Section > Tyres...to suit your ST1100

Do you still run the original tyre valve stems on your ST1100?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Biggles:
I can vouch for the fact that screw-on angled valves shouldn't be left on.  One caused a total deflation of a tyre, fortunately within the towing distance allowed by RACQ.  They reach some critical point where the centrifugal force is sufficient to dislodge the rubber stem.
Tyre fitters install the metal ones in the rim for $20 to $50 a pair.  And don't assume they're all smart enough to install them pointing to the right!   :||||

johnnyYTED:
 :blk13  :dred11

--- Quote from: Biggles on July 09, 2018, 10:31:44 PM ---  And don't assume they're all smart enough to install them pointing to the right!   :||||

--- End quote ---
I told the tyre guy who fitted STranglers new nipple and he assured me he owns a M/C and would point it out correctly. Well when I was fitting the front wheel back on, well howdy dudie it was pointing to the left.. something I will point out to him when I'm getting my pink slip this week. :spank

StinkyPete:
I was advised that the rubber stems should be replaced every time you fit a new tyre.   I found this out the hard way when getting a new rear tyre fitted in Cairns a few years back.   The fitter checked the front valve stem and found that it was cracked almost right through, which would have led to a catastrophic deflation of the front tyre.    :eek     He removed the front wheel and tyre and fitted a new rubber stem, which was an expense I had not expected, but was happy to get done.

Since then,  New Tyre = New Rubber Valve Stem, unless you have solid metal stems fitted, which I eventually did on the ST.

Wayne'o:

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. I am glad I asked the question.

Going to drop in soon and find out how much they will charge to fit some 90 degree
permanent steel (?) ones.  ++

cheers and safe riding

Wayne

:dred11

johnnyYTED:
 :blk13 :dred11
Wayne'o motorcycle accessory supermarket aka MCAS https://www.mcas.com.au/  sell them for $29.95. stock # LIN93T420K LA CORSA VALVE STEM 11.3 in 4 colours
they are the ones I'm using. I have black rims on STrangler the 1300 and chrome/silver on STranger my 1100.  ;-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version