Author Topic: Dodgy ignition barrel, maybe…?  (Read 626 times)

Offline SteveR

Dodgy ignition barrel, maybe…?
« on: September 27, 2022, 02:27:06 PM »
Hi all,
I’ve had my ST11 parked at our neighbours since I had to evacuate it after the storms last June. I hadn’t brought it home yet because I’d had trouble starting it, but they’re finally getting repairs done to their house so I need to bring it home to make room for their builders. Problem is, I need help!!

I’ve chased the problem down to the ignition barrel, seems like something inside isn’t right; turning it fully on gets power to some auxiliary switches I’ve put in, but the full system only gets power when I hold the key halfway between Off/On. I can get her started holding the key there, but lose all power once the key springs to either position.

Am I after a new barrel? Is there a secret east fix? I’m hoping so, because I need to move it back before the weekend! Any help greatly, greatly appreciated!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Dodgy ignition barrel, maybe…?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 04:50:42 PM »
Not the barrel, but the switch mechanism it plugs into..May need a good clean with contact cleaner
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose

Offline SteveR

Re: Dodgy ignition barrel, maybe…?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 10:19:46 PM »
Not the barrel, but the switch mechanism it plugs into..May need a good clean with contact cleaner
Takes, a bit of googling and that looks possible, short-term solution is going to be holding the key halfway with duct tape to get it up there neighbour’s driveway, and down mine, THEN I can work on it!
"Not all those who wander are lost"