Author Topic: Headlight protectors  (Read 2020 times)

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Headlight protectors
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »
I just spent an interesting few hours in Gosford at http://www.amhp.com.au/ supplying the Trophy for making up a headlight protector. Very interesting to see and talk about the design and manufacturing process. The Trophy one is one of the hardest to get right, which is why I went up. The GTR1400 looks very intricate and has a high failure rate during making it.

John Arens runs the business these days, and has been in the motorcycle publication business for years, testing bikes and gear, and was a mechanic years ago. It is a small world.

All in all an interesting day. Also talked about cooking and have some new recipe ideas (with his wife), and gave here some ideas as well (Georgian Green beans anyone?)
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Headlight protectors
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »
I'm afraid I'm not a believer in headlight protectors.  I've had them on a couple of bikes and they seem to be more of a nuisance than a help.  My ST1300 one now lives in the shed after numerous failures of the Scotch attachments.
While I'm assured their cost of nearly $100 in some cases is warranted when compared with the cost of a new headlight, I'm also aware of destructive testing done with hammers on headlight glasses proving them to be highly resistant to breaking.
Has anyone had one break due to a stone or other impact?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline pault

• ST
Re: Headlight protectors
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
Late reply I know. Still I have had a headlight glass get a 6mm hole punched in it , enough to let water in to start corrosion. One protector smashed in half. This over 6 years and 250 plus k,s