Author Topic: Odd wear on my front tyre.  (Read 604 times)

Offline Dragonstaff

• Dave
Odd wear on my front tyre.
« on: March 26, 2023, 07:27:17 PM »
This is being replaced on Tuesday, so I'm not particularly worried, but I wonder if anyone has an explanation for the wear on this tyre? It isn't darkside related, because the shape was there before the tyre change on the back, but I strikes me as odd. The knife-edge on the sides is also interesting. On a car I would say alignment,but I don't think that that is a consideration on the front of a bike.

Bridgestone Battleaxe. The new one is a Pirrelli Angel GT
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

Keep the dirty side down.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500
(Not all bikes are running at the current time)

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, ruSTynutz

Offline Brookester

• Brookester
  • ST Legend
Re: Odd wear on my front tyre.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 09:26:47 PM »
I've experienced this on other bikes, Super Tenere, FJR, etc. Commonly called scalping and there is no end of suggested causes. Michelin motorcycle tyre guy I met up Mt Mee once said its more common cause is pressures and that not all tyres are made the same for the same bike and rider weights and riding styles. If you go the Angel GT be sure to get an 'A' carcass as its meant to suit the heavier sports tourers.
One day you will wake up and there won't be anymore time to do the things you've always wanted so do them NOW!!!
Remember there are 7 days in a week and Someday isn't one of them!

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose

Offline DavidP

• ST13 fan, near Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 09:48:15 PM »
yep, I have noticed that an extra 2-4 psi helps reduce it.  44-45 in the front, and 44-46 in the rear 46 2up). 
:slvr13 in style
2008 ST1300, Carbon fender extender, blinker/mirror mod, switchback indicators, diy wiring/jump start harness, heated grips, diy swing-arm/shock protector, insulated fairing pockets, diy led spots

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 11:14:28 PM »
I ended up with similar wear on the Bridgestone Battlax that was fitted to my ST when I bought it...even down to the strange groove/scratch roughly down the centre.
Even the current front tyre (a Dunlop RoadSmart 3) has started to wear in similar fashion although there's no strange centre groove/scratch as yet...

I've recently upped the tyre pressure from what I had been running so it will be interesting to see if the abnormal wear continues.  :think1

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, Dragonstaff

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 05:53:46 AM »
I got caught on a long tour with tyres that had worn out in the centre (still lots of trread away from the middle) and I still had a few thousand km to go before I could get them changed.    I dropped the pressures by about 4psi, and the centre wear almost astopped and the sides scalloped really badly, but they got me where I needed to go.   The chap that changed the tyres commented that wear indicated  that I'd been running pressures that were low, so I told him the story.

The lesson for me was that low tyre pressures contribute to severe scalloping on the sides, so I'd suggest bumping up your pressures.  From memory a lot of the ST folk are running with 42 and 44 psi.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 11:28:14 AM »
I'm currently running 44psi in the front, 46psi in the rear...
I think some of the initial abnormal wear (front & rear) was due to the dodgy tyre pressure gauge I'd been using which, after checking with other tyre gauges, was found to be overstating pressures by a couple of psi.

My advice is to buy a decent gauge and certainly don't rely on the gauges at your typical petrol station as they can be notoriously inaccurate...  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker, Dragonstaff

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »
I'm another advocate for running higher pressures than is recommended. It was this very topic that saw me discover the old Yahoo ST group back in 2009ish. Scalloping was something I had not experienced on any of my previous bikes. I think the OEM's were Bridgestones and the front was changed at 8k and the rear at 12k with terrible scalloping. Through an excellent explanation from a member I then used to run 45-46 in both front and rear. The best I got was 28k out of a set of Michelin PR4's.
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 06:10:04 PM »
Another thing to consider when adjusting tire pressures is the combined weight of rider, pillion, cargo any accessories.
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 10:07:03 PM »
I got caught on a long tour with tyres that had worn out in the centre (still lots of trread away from the middle) and I still had a few thousand km to go before I could get them changed.    I dropped the pressures by about 4psi, and the centre wear almost astopped and the sides scalloped really badly, but they got me where I needed to go.   The chap that changed the tyres commented that wear indicated  that I'd been running pressures that were low, so I told him the story.

The lesson for me was that low tyre pressures contribute to severe scalloping on the sides, so I'd suggest bumping up your pressures.  From memory a lot of the ST folk are running with 42 and 44 psi.

Yeah but...

Doesn't that lead to early tyre centre wearing?  I can easily visualise why it would reduce scalloping, but mine tend to go in the centre first, using the common 42/42 (290kpa).  I do get mild scalloping.  I frequently have a pillion on the ST, usually Mrs Biggles.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 11:09:44 PM »
Another thing to consider when adjusting tire pressures is the combined weight of rider, pillion, cargo any accessories.

Good point, JD!  :thumbs

Which is why from day one I'd ran 44psi in the rear but due to my dodgy gauge I was probably actually only running 42-ish which, with Sue on the back along with my not inconsiderable weight would have meant we were running the tyre under-inflated...  :||||

2005 Honda ST1300A