Author Topic: Heated Jacket  (Read 10305 times)

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
Heated Jacket
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »

:thumbs
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:44:24 PM by Gavo »
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

:blu13

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: Heated Jacket
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »
Bugger the heated jacket Gavo. Has anyone got a "cool suit" for us Queenslanders?
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
Hey Gavo
              Queenslanders would need more than a suit to be cool.   :nahnah
                                             :grin :blk13 :grin
2016 KTM1290 Super Adventure
2018 HONDA NC750X

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:20:09 AM »
I'd have thought that Buoyancy Vests would have been in demand in Queensland ? :whistle
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »
It probably could be modified but why not buy one made for the bike  :think1 http://www.warmnsafe.com/65-watt-gen-4-mens-heated-liner/
 :thumbs may be a bit more cost wise but.....
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Streak

• Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:26:51 AM »
I have seen TJ's jacket, it is pretty awesome! Well worth the money
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Down Under

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »

I've been using a Jett Vest for nearly 3 winters now.  Good value for $149.00.  They're powered by a lithium ion battery......so no mucking around with bike wiring and forgetting to connect/disconnect from bike.

http://www.jett.us.com/heat_vest_complete.htm

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »

I've been using a Jett Vest for nearly 3 winters now.  Good value for $149.00.  They're powered by a lithium ion battery......so no mucking around with bike wiring and forgetting to connect/disconnect from bike.

Look good, and made in Australia!!  How long does a charge last on say, Low? (40o sounds plenty hot enough).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

terrydj

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
What about a heated vest. Remember E-Bay is your friend. Just punch in heated vest. These are from the American Ebay site. The exact same is on the Australian E-Bay site but twice as dear
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Symtec-Heat-Demon-Heated-Vest-XL-4XL-Heated-Vest-/140726323329?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item20c3f14881&vxp=mtr
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEARS-CANADA-Motorcycle-Vest-Heated-Gen-X-3-38-2830-0213-100239-1-38-/170809749574?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item27c50df046&vxp=mtr

Offline Down Under

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:50:16 PM »

Look good, and made in Australia!!  How long does a charge last on say, Low? (40o sounds plenty hot enough).

Battery is good for 8 hrs on low.  On cold mornings you might knock it up to high or medium for a couple of hrs but once the day warms up low is about all you need.  Higher settings reduces the battery life proportionally.

Offline Couch

• Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »
Hey TJ..............just a question, or two...............which heat troller do you use with the liner, also, are you running other heated gear with it as well?

It probably could be modified but why not buy one made for the bike  :think1 http://www.warmnsafe.com/65-watt-gen-4-mens-heated-liner/
 :thumbs may be a bit more cost wise but.....
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »
Its the warm and safe remote controller with two dials.  I have the lot, jacket, trousers, socks and gloves. 
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Couch

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
I notice they make the Gen 4 in either 90 or 65 watt.....I assume yours is the 65 watt, and if so, do you find that gives you as much heat as you need to keep all your gear warm??

Its the warm and safe remote controller with two dials.  I have the lot, jacket, trousers, socks and gloves. 
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
Actually it's the 90watt, It definitely heats up from the tips of the toes to the tips of the fingers and including the neck.  I have at times needed to turn it down. I like the ability to adjust the top or bottom half.  For the colder runs I would be wearing as a base layer LD Comfort top and bottom, then the warm n safe gear then my normal jacket and trousers.  I just use the gloves as they are without any linings but still have that option as I carry thermal glove liners.  The socks are worn as they are but would be better with some very thin socks (I bought the wrong size >:()
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »

Hey Tony, I saw one of these in action at Wilmington SA a few weeks back and am most impressed.

After riding for hours on end in temps from 5-9* C, I could really have used this unit as once the cold sets into one's bones, the ride becomes less enjoyable and alertness suffers.

It is a huge bonus that this jacket is simple enough not to have to plug into the bike, and my friend said that on medium or low setting, it lasted 6 hours. High setting brought that back to just over 2 hours.

Are you experiencing the same operating times?

I give them the thumbs up - simply for creature comfort and ease of use!        :thumb

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline SToz

• Every day above ground is a good one!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 06:55:01 AM »
Saw your post on Farriders Diesel.

After many months of researching all the options...hard wired verses battery powered, I went with this option.

Hard wired to the bike.

https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=360&cat=59

The battery option appealed to me as the first option as not being mechanically/electrically minded I didn't want to bother with having to wire the bike or get it wired.

However with the battery option I strongly doubted the life of the battery before having to charge it. The problem was when I was buying it I was doing and planning loooong rides of riding thru the night so batteries then didn't seem so attractive. How many would I have to carry to get me thru a 24hr ride etc... then when could I charge them if I was doing a 50CC in ALL cold weather when I'd need the vest on day and night.

Note to self, always unplug when walking from the bike.... :||||

So, as for the wiring, one connection directly off the battery with the lead stuffed under the seat in summer. Pull enough of it out from under the seat at the front left side to expose the connector and Bob's your Aunt Canny's Fat.

So it comes down to how your gonna use it I guess. Loooong ride, go hard wired. For use at the football as well, go battery.

Hope it helps!
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SToz (Rick)
'04 ST1300A
IBA# 38032..... SS1600K  SS2000K  BB2500K

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
Yeah - good comments thanks Rick. I was interested to see how long Ox got out of his battery pack life too, as I see the battery Jett Vest comes with a spare battery pack for a few extra $$$.

I have just received permission from a friend of mine - "Wombattle" to place a link here to his comprehensive review of the Jett Vest....  Thanks mate:

http://www.super-tenere.com.au/xt1200z/index.cfm?module=blog&topic=Jett-Heated-Vest-Review&page_id=322526&pageMode=dosearch

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
Gotta love tax refunds. Just pulled the trigger on the Jett.

Comes with a SPARE battery pack which extends the warmth cycle to up to 8 hrs.

This should be plenty, as normally, I am only chilled to the bone about 40 mins from getting on the bike (in the early morning), until about 2-3 hrs later - so even one pack should do the trick. Turns out that one can charge whilst the other is in use - so there's a possible never-ending cycle there too.

Other people have mentioned wearing it to the footy, or even whilst out walking on brisk Wintery mornings and evenings.

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:14:15 PM by Diesel »
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »
I bought a JETT as well. Has not been cold enough to turn on, even on some cold rides, as I still dress up just in case the technology fails.  Funnily enough, even when wearing it I felt a bit more insulated/warmer around the spine (where the JETT applies heat) A few times I thought it might have been turned on accidentally, but it must be the way it insulates that area.  I only got the single battery, but will see how it goes.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Down Under

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »

Hey Tony, I saw one of these in action at Wilmington SA a few weeks back and am most impressed.

After riding for hours on end in temps from 5-9* C, I could really have used this unit as once the cold sets into one's bones, the ride becomes less enjoyable and alertness suffers.

It is a huge bonus that this jacket is simple enough not to have to plug into the bike, and my friend said that on medium or low setting, it lasted 6 hours. High setting brought that back to just over 2 hours.

Are you experiencing the same operating times?

I give them the thumbs up - simply for creature comfort and ease of use!        :thumb

Cheers, Diesel

Sorry I was a bit slow getting back to you on this Diesel.  You won't regret your purchase.  I read your mate's review and it's pretty spot on.  I think you'll find it even works better on a faired bike like the ST compared to the Tenere where exposure to the cold isn't as bad.  It works best worn over the top of thermals or a thin under garment, too many layers will reduce its effectiveness. 

I was probably being a bit optimistic with battery life, 6 hrs on low is about right if the vest is used continuously but it'll last an entire days riding if it's turned off at breaks throughout the day.  It gets bloody cold around my area in winter and even then I usually only need to turn it on for few hours in the morning to get through the worst part of the day.  I have 2 batteries which is handy for overnight trips, especially when camping out....I've even used it in my sleeping bag as an electric blanket on a bitterly cold night!  The only down side is the amount of time it takes to fully recharge a battery.  However, its proved reliable and for the price I'm not complaining.

Cheers,

Tony

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
lol - thought my vest was kaput, and used appropriate coloquialisms commensurate with this as I had packed it to maybe use at Ballarat recently. Was showing it to a mate, but it wouldn't switch on!       :cuss

Turns out, I hadn't used it for a while, and forgot it requires a 2-3 second press of the power button to avoid accidental switching!      >:()

Anyways, I'd resigned myself to wearing it purely as a non-powered parker vest - and it was fine for this - even over Mt Hotham!     :-[

Got home - one final test before writing to the manufacturer - doh! All good.    :thumbs

I had charged the power packs just prior to leaving too.

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Neale

• Legendary Member
  • Harrington Park, NSW
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »
So is it still Diesel or do we go to Forgetful Jones or Mr McGoo? :popcorn
Neale

2009 ST 1300 Candy Apple Red

Online sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
lol - thought my vest was kaput, and used appropriate coloquialisms commensurate with this as I had packed it to maybe use at Ballarat recently. Was showing it to a mate, but it wouldn't switch on!       :cuss

Turns out, I hadn't used it for a while, and forgot it requires a 2-3 second press of the power button to avoid accidental switching!      >:()

Anyways, I'd resigned myself to wearing it purely as a non-powered parker vest - and it was fine for this - even over Mt Hotham!     :-[

Got home - one final test before writing to the manufacturer - doh! All good.    :thumbs

I had charged the power packs just prior to leaving too.

Cheers, Diesel

:crackup Oh dear.... :CB--
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 06:42:34 PM »
So is it still Diesel or do we go to Forgetful Jones or Mr McGoo? :popcorn

Too many syllables.  We'll stick with Diesel until he does something memorable using one or two syllables.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 11:06:16 AM »
"McGoo".......hmmmmm! :crackup             Definitely worth consideration, "I'm still trying to get even" :grin