Author Topic: Garmin Zumo 660  (Read 2484 times)

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Garmin Zumo 660
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
For those interested http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2747 has it for $569 delivered. I have bought CBs and othet items from them, and the easy to deal with (even if they are in WA!)

The previous price stopped from thinking about a 660 but I am now ready to make the leap. After having used a generic GPS on the bike in all conditions for a while now, a more dedicated bike unit like the 660 has those essential features that I can't modify my existing unit to do.  Mianly how it mounts and connects to the bike, screen readability, use with gloves on and waterproofing.

I will be posting up my views on how it stacks up in terms of mapping data against what I am using now, which is very good for country addresses.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Dan

• QLD
Re: Garmin Zumo 660
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »
As I have probably mentioned before, the main benefit for me with the Zumo is the ability to pre-plan routes and upload them to the unit.    It also means that for trips with lots of riders, you can email the routes to everyone with a Zumo.  My mates in the UK do this all the time and it works really well.

It might not be as useful in Oz, but in the UK there are loads of back roads that mean routes can get pretty complicated.  Without a GPS it would mean stopping frequently to check maps which would ruin the flow of the ride.  We rarely used the main roads.  I don't think Oz has the same sort of road network though so it might not be as useful, but I am still using the Mapsource software to plan some rides.

I have the 550 which has been OK generally.  I needed to replace the digitiser which was pretty easy as the old one wore out, and it can lock up on occasion - both well-known issues.

A lot of my mates have the 660 (or the BMW equivalent) and so far have no problems to report. 

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:22:16 PM »
I bought the 660 and immediately got paranoid about it being stolen from the bike.  I forked out $200 odd for a Touratech mount which is key locked and holds the GPS beautifully.  Byt he time you add a RAM mount (also key lockable) to the outfit you're burned a grand, but hey, it's for your ST, so what's the problem?   :grin

Now they're $569 you'll have some change out of a thou to buy something else essential.  A CB?   8)
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »
I have already spent the change from $1000 many times over last week  :thumbs  A CB is already on the bike, but I did buy a $20 80 channel one from Jaycar  for offbike use and testing, as my more expensive handheld gave up the ghost  :||||  I think a unit like the 660 that is easy to put on the bike and take off means I will use it a lot more, as no more fiddling with cables all the time.  Thats why I went for a bike mounted CB as setting up a hand held all the time meant I did not use it much.

I have been playing around with all the features on the 660, and seems to exceed my requirements.  Integrates with my mobile and all the phone book features work.  Routing as with most GPS devices has ups and downs, but it will get you there in unfamiliar places.  As Des said, the ability to store various customised routes is great, as is route preview which means you can see how the route works in practice.  I have been able to plan routes easily on the unit, but have to learn how to use the computer planning software sometime.

Once the cable to interface with the GPS arrives I will give it some bike time.  The way the GPS switches between car and bike use just by the cradle it is in is a neat feature.  Emily sounds rather hot too, but I won't try and look up the real person just in case  >:()
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others