Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 7382 times)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
Engine noise
« on: January 08, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »
Hello fellow STers.

I did a run on my ST1300 down the NSW South Coast this week and while everything went great (Even my Harley riding trip buddy was envious of my heated grips and retractable windscreen  in the 10 deg Canberra wind this morning)

However, half way through the trip, my engine developed a very disconcerting noise.

It was intermittent and very hard to pin down exactly where is was coming from  but it sounded like a when small bearing grabs and is spun on the shaft or small gear being stripped. The oil and filter were changed before the trip and the oil is at the correct level. Most of the time (but not all) it appeared to happen when the engine when under load. I thought it might be the clutch slipping but didn't sound loud enough for that. Apart from that the engine was it usual turbine smooth self. But it was hard to enjoy the trip fully when you are expecting an engine failure at any time.

I have only just got home and will get onto it tomorrow but any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Engine noise
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
ST13 engines do a lot of "whining" which you come to accept as normal. I recall when I got my second one with only about 5500 klix on it that I had to ask another owner if it was a fault.  I bought my previous one with around 60,000 and didn't notice the "whine" so much.

Part of the problem is, once you tune into the engine, every sound is magnified.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:23 PM »
I would like to see you around another ST1300 to compare notes
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
Thanks for that.

The noise is quite distinct from the George Jetson whine which is present pretty much all the time.  I have done about 3000 kays and have never heard it before. The noise is quite harsh and if I had to pick a source I would say it is coming from high in the front of the engine.

Two sources I thought of are the water pump and balance shafts. Do either of those ever become noisy?

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »
Your best bet would be, as Streak said, get around some other ST's. They do have a sound of there own, which an ST rider would pick even without seeing the bike coming.

What you describe as a George Jetson sound is the sound they make. It's the V4.

On a bike with 3000K, there shouldn't be any engine issues as they aren't run in till after 100,000 plus.

:blu13

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:22:43 AM »
The 1300 engine does emit a fairly strong "hammering" noise when the throttle is pulled on hard, which I found a bit concerning when I first got the bike.  Is that the noise you are hearing?    As others have suggested, get another ST owner to have a listen to determine if there is anything out of the ordinary happening.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »
No I am aware of the hammering sound when the engine is under load. This sounds like something which is under tension or pressure suddenly releasing. It is higher pitched but not as high a the normal engine whine. You will ride for ten fifteen minutes with nothing and then it will go off. Each sound lasts no more than a second but there might be three or four in quick succession then nothing for a while.

I am going to clean her up today after the trip. I will take the plastic off and drop the oil. Maybe something will become evident then.
The oil is only 2000 kays old but I was never happy with  the gear shift after the oil change so maybe it is something to do with that.

I will research the oil forums now to get the general consensus on oils but I went for a heavier weight oil thinking it would thin out in the hot weather,

It was extremely windy when I first noticed the noise and my  instinct was that the actuators on the windscreen where being forced by the wind pressure. It really sounds like something being stripped but that is not the problem because the screen works fine.

Are there any really good Honda V4 mechanics in the lower Hunter? I am really reluctant to take it to any old Joe or to the main Honda dealers around here who will put a second year apprentice on it.

I would like to know the guy (or girl!) has good dianositic skills because from the feedback I am getting it is not a common problem.

(I will absolutely guarantee when the mechanic gets on it he will not be able to replicate the noise!!!)

BTW I think I was a tad confusing earlier. The bike has done 35k I have only had it for 3k.

Thanks again to all for their input. Every bit is a piece in the puzzle.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Could it be something in the air filter?
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Now there is a thought I have been over most of the bike but haven't lifted the tank because it is always full when I think of it. It is full now. Can you tilt the tank like this?

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
You can tilt it, because it only has about 5 litres in it.  Not optimum, but do-able.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
I know I am being thick here but doesn't the fuel from the big tank flow into the little tank. I think I had better read the manual. Sorry!

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 01:20:36 PM »
The top cowell only holds 5 litres and feeds down into the lower tank behind the engine which holds the other 24 litres.. You have to be careful lifting the cowell as you can pull the fuel hose of where it runs under the bottom of the cowell if you are too rough.

Cheers

:slvr13

Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »
Checked the air filter all appears ok except one of the screws holding the lid on was missing. There was a film of what I think is oil around and over the filter which I assume is from the cranckcase ventilation. At least it was clean what ever it was. (I can't tell for sure because I have no sense of smell!)

My second instinct was the balancer shafts so I might have a go at adjusting them. it seems easy enough. (More famous last words!) After that I am out of ideas.

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »
Thanks HunterTodd, you made me check mine, but  :||||

Though I don't think I was having the noises that you were describing.

I have checked my air box (low fuel light on & 46K on odo) and found:-

* Missing screw from top cover of the air box (near sensor)
* Air filter very dirty.
* Oil (lightly) covering vent hole inlet area of air box.
* The two rear "trumpet mounts" that connect the trumpets (air inlets too carby), through the base of the air box AND too the top of the carb's, loose.  I fitted a second washer (1.5mm thick) under the four mounting screws, problem solved.
* Checked "O" ring where the air box (top and bottom) joins together, and was there and OK.

Started engine and noticed no difference in sound/s (tested on centre stand)

So, happy hunting, and read with interest.

At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 07:26:42 PM »
Yeah Dave,
How does a screw work its way out??? I was cursing the guy who did the last service but maybe Honda have invented self extracting screws!!! Very clever that mr Honda!
Oil is normal I think but you got me worried? I don't remember seeing the o ring!!!!  Oh well I am spending some quality time with the girl now so I'll have a look.
Have you put a description of your sound up.  I may be able to give some inspiration or at the very least empathy!
Todd

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »
Hi Todd,

The "O" ring (rubber gasket) is in the base (bottom half) around the outside of the air box, when separated.

You can turn the "O" ring upside down, meaning the nearside (left) can become the offside (right).

Yes, little oil is normal.

Cheers
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »
I just checked the airbox o ring and my sleepless night worrying about a dusted engine was wasted. The o ring was there.
I think I will use the sound recording on my Cho Pro. (Chinese action cam) to make a recording of the sound which hopefully the experts on this site will recognise.

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »
You seem to be getting yourself worked up over this. Find some other ST's and compare.

Chances are it is a standard noise.
You have done the oil and filter, cleaned/ replaced air filter. The only thing you haven't done is the plugs.

Ride it and enjoy, there isn't much that goes wrong when they are looked after.

:blu13

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
Maybe I am sounding a bit precious but after 40 odd years of working on or in machinery one of the first indications you wil get something is wrong is a strange noise occuring.

I can assure all the pundits  this noise was not present in some 3000 kays of riding and all of a sudden it appears. Maybe ST's are prone to developing odd noises every 3000 kays but it is not  just a  subtle change in the pitch of an existing noise, it is obvious and distinct from all the other noises which one hears when riding an ST.

Two weeks before christmas the workshop manager and I were standing next a running  CAT loader discussing a job. He looked at me asked if I could hear something. The normal diesel rattle was very slighter harsher than usual but was nothing I would have worried about. We ended up taking the head off and found  the height of number three and four pistons were 6mm lower than the rest. It was about to throw a conrod through the block and we saved a $35,000 engine.

I agree with your assumption  this noise is probably  non life threatening and will most likely turn out to be something really simple but I have worked too hard to get this bike  to be riding along, going la lal la and trying to pretend it is not there. At the very least we will all learn something if and when I manage to track down the cause.

On that front I spoke to a Honda Dealer Mechanic this morning and he has access to a resource at Honda which will identify the most likely source of unusual engine noises from a sound recording of it. How cool is that? Now to get the recording.

Offline Me_3

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • ST Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 05:36:52 PM »
Change the oil filter, and cut the old one open. look for shiny stuff...

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 05:47:08 PM »
That is on the agenda tomorrow. The thought of metal all through the engine was haunting me all the way home.

I will take a sample to work on Monday and get it tested. Fingers crossed there will be nothing there.

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
I finally dropped the oil and cut the filter open. The filter looks clean except for some very  fine metallic particles which I assume is from the fixed plates in the clutch. Next course of action is to capture the noise and check with Honda to see if they can identify it from their database.