Author Topic: Best fuel type and warm - up process  (Read 3826 times)

Offline gerd

• Brisbane (Springwood)
Best fuel type and warm - up process
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »
Just thought I'd get some feedback on a couple of things my 1999 ST1100 is doing regarding fuel.

1) I am running Shell 98 Octane V-Power and thought It would give me better fuel economy and running performance but with a 14cent premium on the price I don't think it is getting the results. What do other ST1100 riders use ?

2) I currently warm my bike up for around 2 minutes full choke then turn choke off and cruise slowly for a few k's until the engine warms up but notice lately this doesn't seem long enough and am also getting a bit of engine 'ping', even though the Queensland weather is warming up. Maybe I should change brands of fuel ? What do other ST1100 riders do regarding initial engine warm up?
gerd gabriel
2000 ST1100A

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Best fuel type and warm - up process
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »
I run a spread sheet for my fuel, have done for several years  with my ZZR1100, and 18Mths since Ive had the ST1100. My results are that there is no difference in range or performance between 91 and 98 octane. The extra $3.00 per fill  is therefore better off being in your pocket, as the it pays for the 11th fill.

As for warming up, I start up, and idle down the road at 50Ks until I hit the 80K road. It takes 5 min and the bike warms up on the way. Idling in the drive just wastes fuel that can be used to go some where. I dont use the choke unless the bike has trouble starting, usually when the temp is below 10C

I have no pinging at all any time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:42:49 PM by Brock »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Rodd

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »
I start on full choke for first start of the day. I straddle the bike back out of my workshop and half turn it in the driveway. Choke goes back 1/4 (any more and the revs can die down too much and it falters). Ride to the end of my street (normal casual speed ~50k's?), turn left onto the main suburban street and up to 60, then choke right off. I get to work 5 minutes later and it's just getting to operating temp.!

Fuel.. local BP sells to emergency services so I use them usually. Octane rating doesn't seem to matter.

Rodd

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »
I never used the choke on my ST1100 here in Brisvegas. 
I'd also agree that Premium fuel does not improve economy or power, and if'you're still getting pinging using it, then you need to check you plugs or your timing.
Regarding BP fuel, a lot of knowledgable riders I know will only use BP.  It's always the most expensive, so I tend to use Shell.  FWIW, 7-Eleven are supplied by Shell (here, anyway), and it can be cheaper there than anywhere else.
I do use Premium in the ST1300 (often cringing at the $1.64/litre they steal) but mainly because it's a fairly new bike and the manual says to use it.  The ST1100 had 134,000 kays on it when I sold it, of which I rode 42,200.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »
... My results are that there is no difference in range or performance between 91 and 98 octane. The extra $3.00 per fill  is therefore better off being in your pocket, as the it pays for the 11th fill.

Is the extra $$$$ per fill also for all the cleaning agents, anti gumming agents, superior lubrication elements and more even burn (therefore keeping your engine & oil cleaner throughout its operating life?

If this is NOT the case - then I'm straight back on regular. Just thought I was getting a free internal clean for the bike as i burnt the Premium unleaded.

Advice sought.

Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »
My thinking, is that as the 1100 was designed for 91 Octane [RON] (or higher), that the lubrication system is designed to handle any contaminants that may be produced.

Over a distance of 100000Ks, going on an average range of 350 Ks (my weekly usage), then approx $860 dollars will be saved. This means more money for farkles and riding (or beer). One could even afford an extra oil change or two, or an extra set of tyres.

:beer  :beer

I am not convinced that the extra ( in inverted commas) cleaners etc, actually do anything beneficial.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
This means more money for farkles and riding (or beer).

:beer  :beer

I am not convinced that the extra ( in inverted commas) cleaners etc, actually do anything beneficial.

Hmmmm... when you put it THAT way....     :rofl :rofl :rofl         :-++
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
I use 91 normally in the ST11.  I find higher octanes to be a bit more cold blooded, but of course depends where you ride.  98 is a high density fuel so in a carb bike may affect the air fuel ratios - 95 would be better if you want to stick to the better stuff.  I also use E10 a bit as the local Caltex has it and has a high turnover.  Economy tends to be about the same as normal petrol, and sometimes I get better out of E10 even though you should not (it may run a bit leaner in a carby bike). 

Warm up is pretty quick. I start, with the choke if cool or below, then ride off shortly after.  Bike warms up quicker, less oil contamination, and I take it easy for a while so other components get to warm up as well.  There should be no pinging, unless there is carbon build up, the bike is running leaner on the 98 or the plugs are getting a bit fouled up from lots of choke usage and shorter trips.  My bike would not run on full choke for two minues anyway, so perhaps the bike running a bit lean.

The ST13 is speced for 95 I thought? but I know of people using 91 ok, and E10 is 94 octane or so.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:57:06 PM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline STOM1100

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
Hi
Only new here but have Had my ST1100 from 30th k's in the last 4yr's ive put on another 90Th.
I have tried most fuels and have found that the Caltex 98 seems to be the best.I have run comparisons On my Farrides and found i get about 3-5% better fuel economy and the ST just feels like its running better.I also use iridium plugs and a nulon longlife addative,as ive done in my last 7 Bikes all of which have logged some serious k's.
Stom// Farrider 31     All rides are good some just better than others.