Author Topic: Steering wobble  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Bampot

• ST Legend
Steering wobble
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
Hi Guys, I've been away from the forum for a while and have just re registered. It looks better than ever!

My 1994 ST100 with 145k on the clock, started to get a serious side to side wobble on the handlebars around 80kph, especially if the road is a bit rough.
I started with the easy things and had the front wheel balance checked - no improvement.
I tried to check  the stem bearings by putting on the centre stand and pulling back and forth on the wheel. There seemed to be a small amount of movement. I then tightened the top bearing adjuster nut. When I road tested the wobble had lessened but I had overtightened making low speed turning a bit weird. I then backed off the adjusting nut 1/4 turn and tried again. The wobble came back.
I'm assuming the top and bottom bearings need replacing.

Does anyone know where I can get bearings? I live in NSW but any mail order supplier is fine.

OR can anyone think what else to check before doing this?

Should I look at replacing fork seals and oil while I'm at it?

I also need new handlebar grips, any suggestions?

Cheers

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Steering wobble
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Hi Bampot and welcome to OzSTOC from SA.   I'm sure some of our owners will have some advice regarding your wobble.   My checks would have included both front and back wheel balance, wheel bearings, followed by headstock and swingarm bearings, all of which may contribute to on-road instability.

There may be some hints in this thread.    http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?66729-ST1100-low-speed-wobble.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Steering wobble
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
Welcome back. 
If you tell the Mods what your previous Forum name was they can get you re-established with your previous post count and same name if you want it.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927