Author Topic: Renovating Your Plastics  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Renovating Your Plastics
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
Looks good however I would strongly recommend removing them from your bike first;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJyFlJW5rbk

A.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:36:45 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
Re: Renovating Your Plastics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
looks good as I have been thinking about how to get my plastic looking reasonable .

I might give this a go and get back to you all at a later date.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline jimwilly

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:55:37 AM »
I agree, it does look like a good idea, I'd certainly be removing the plastic though.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »
I'd be wondering about whether it would make the plastics brittle because what's happening is the hydrocarbon chains are being reformed and volatile components would be escaping.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:36:29 PM »
looks good as I have been thinking about how to get my plastic looking reasonable .

I might give this a go and get back to you all at a later date.
I might wait and see how you go before I try it :thumb
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 06:49:51 PM »
I'd be wondering about whether it would make the plastics brittle because what's happening is the hydrocarbon chains are being reformed and volatile components would be escaping.

We should keep as much volatility in the ST's as is possible..... :thumbs  :thumbs  :thumbs

Seriously thou, my plastics look like new because I;
  • Removed them all from the bike
  • Gave them a very good wash with soapy water
  • Cleaned them with diluted wax and grease remover
  • Washed again with clean water
  • Lightly sanded with 150 grit sand paper
  • Rinsed with water and left to dry in the sun
  • Spray them with a paint bonding solution (this is a must) and finally
  • Sprayed them with a colour matched spray paint. ( purchased mine from Autobarn - a perfect match for the guso grey - about $24 (2 aerosol cans)  did all of them, two coats
Looking good.
A.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:09:59 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »

We should keep as much volatility in the ST's as is possible..... :thumbs  :thumbs  :thumbs

• Spray them with a paint bonding solution (this is a must) and finally
  • Sprayed them with a colour matched spray paint. ( purchased mine from Autobarn - a perfect match for the guso grey - about $24 (2 aerosol cans)  did all of them, two coats
Looking good.
A.

AND it sealed the volatility in, so you don't lose any top speed or fuel economy.    :thumbs
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927