Author Topic: Supplementary Key Chip  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Supplementary Key Chip
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
I'm paranoid about being a long way from home and losing my key.  I prefer to leave my spare key at home (see- I'm also anxious about having "all my eggs in one basket"). If you're very lucky, you can buy a Honda blank with a chip, pay to have it cut then pay to have a Honda key the chip to your bike.  The process can cost up to (and beyond) $200 and my experience on my previous bike was an expensive failure.  Then I worked out a work-around which I wrote about here:
http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=6674.msg75933#msg75933

With Ruby 2sday less than 500 km off turning 100K, I've left it a long time to take my own advice, but today I did it.  I supplied an ebay-sourced blank to the locksmith and the whole process cost just over $100.  I could have put the chip in the blank, but as a security item, I put it on a recoil cord to go on my belt.  To start the bike I hold the chip against the key head and once the FI light goes out, I can let it retract and start the engine.  That means I can leave the key in the ignition if I want to do a quick turn-around (e.g. an on-the-clock ride).  The downside is, if you stall at the traffic lights, you have to grab the chip to accompany the key to restart.

I have a cut-down key for the fuel cap and panniers.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Gerard & Sandra

Bodø

Re: Supplementary Key Chip
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »
I too have cut down keys for the panniers and top box (and fuel cap).  I keep one in each jacket pocket so I don't have to shut down the bike if I want to get my sunglasses/jacket/raincoats/camera from the bike.

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:32:38 PM »
I ride one of the super-advanced police models that have retired the HISS immobiliser in favour of retina scan  ;-*
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:24:29 AM »
I ride one of the super-advanced police models that have retired the HISS immobiliser in favour of retina scan  ;-*

Yeah, I look at my bike like that too.    :crackup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 11:41:45 AM »
I have a spare key for my 1300 but it hasn't been coded so I only have one key to start the bike. The previous owner never coded the spare key which seems puzzling to me. Going through the owner's manual PDF I find out that the bike comes with a key plate which was never passed on with the bike from a previous owner.

After a call to the dealer I bought the bike from it seems they use a coded key to programme a new one. I'm going to have to check this out with my local dealer next time I'm in Port Augusta.

If I loose the one key I have then I need to replace the ECU @$US600

If I get a new key for my car then I can programme the key from the car; to bad Honda didn't do the same.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW

Online Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:23:47 PM »
I have a spare key for my 1300 but it hasn't been coded so I only have one key to start the bike. The previous owner never coded the spare key which seems puzzling to me. Going through the owner's manual PDF I find out that the bike comes with a key plate which was never passed on with the bike from a previous owner.

After a call to the dealer I bought the bike from it seems they use a coded key to programme a new one. I'm going to have to check this out with my local dealer next time I'm in Port Augusta.

If I loose the one key I have then I need to replace the ECU @$US600

If I get a new key for my car then I can programme the key from the car; to bad Honda didn't do the same.
Alan, are you absolutely certain the spare key has a RFID chip in it? I bought a spare key blank through e-bay which I then got cut and it looks just like the real one but it doesn't have a chip in it. I keep it in the right pie warmer to take off or open panniers and lock the steering. It is convenient for me and it cuts down the wear & tear on the chipped key. Your spare may be the same. If the original key breaks I can just take the chip out and put it into my spare. I have a chipped spare which I keep home unless going on a long interstate trip.

Cheers ... Mark
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »
Alan, are you absolutely certain the spare key has a RFID chip in it?

The spare key I have is an OEM Honda key and no way to see if there's a chip in it or not.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1