Author Topic: 2013 Wall to Wall ride  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
2013 Wall to Wall ride
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
This is a fairly long report of the ride to Canberra and back to honour our fallen mates.             

Most of the photos are mine, but I have borrowed a couple as well.

2013 Wall to Wall ride report

Thursday 12         Home to Port Macquarie

I left home at about 5.45 am and headed for the meeting point at Robina Station for a quick breakfast. After filling up last night I thought everything would be fine, but the bike wouldn’t idle and need to be revved constantly at low speeds. This didn’t stop as I approached the turnoff and the bike died going around the corner. Quickly got it fired up again and pulled up at Robina a couple of minutes later. Joined the others for a quick bacon and egg sandwich and after the preliminaries we headed off for Port Macquarie.

There were over 130 bikes heading down from Queensland and at least 50 turned up at Robina on the Friday morning. Some had plans to go their different ways and meet up with us in Port Macquarie later that night.

I planned on making the trip a little less boring and decided on a sort of a theme of getting photos of the “Big Things’ along the way, as well as a couple of other interesting sites. Left the group at the Tugun turnoff and headed to the Capt Cook Memorial at Coolangatta. This is the border between Queensland and New South Wales.

Then I headed back to the highway and the journey south. Just after Chinderah they had set up for some roadworks and shut down one lane in each direction. Just before I got there a red Commodore had been involved in prang. It was a mess. It had been hit fairly hard from behind and then hit something in front. Just gives you the perspective to always be on your guard. Looks like not everyone had taken notice of the signs to slow down.

Any way next stop was the Byron Bay Lighthouse. After talking briefly with a very understanding ranger he let me take the bike nearly to the lighthouse for a photo with the bike in the shot. He didn’t even ask me to the normal entry fee. Goes to show there are some gentlemen still left in this world.

Stopped at the Big Prawn at Ballina. It used to be part of the servo with a viewing platform in the middle. The servo closed a couple of years ago and Bunnings bought the site. Apparently the council made it a condition to retain the Prawn and so Bunnings have made a feature of it in the entrance to their warehouse. Now it is suspending on a frame and looks a lot better.

Next stop Grafton for a snappy bite to eat. I thought I would have caught up with the main group by now but they were on a mission to get to Port Macquarie. In Quick chat with a guy who was interested in how bikes had changed over the years. He was shocked to find out it was a 1300. Amazing how easily people seem to come up and have a few words.

Off to Coffs Harbour and the start of the serious road works. It seems like I can remember the same piece of road being worked on for the last couple of years. Never see any real progress, although I am sure they would beg to differ.

Joined the stream of tourists at the Big Banana taking photos. Some seem to be getting into a position where the person in the photo was balancing the banana on their hand.

After Coffs it was down to Port Macquarie. As it was only mid-afternoon I decided to get my next photos then and save the time in the morning. I headed off to Sancrox, just off the roundabout heading towards Wauchope. At the Billabong Sanctuary they have a massive sculpture of a couple of Koalas.

Then down the highway a short trip and take the Lake Cathie turnoff. Outside their lawn bowls club they have a big bowl. Kind of different in some ways, but it’s on the list.

Then up the coast road and into Port Macquarie to and check in at the hotel and get ready for the nights activities. We had a couple of drinks and a feed at the hotel and started to pay out on one of the boys from the Coast. Something about meeting a girl, going to the toilet and being propositioned, but not by the girl. We suggested a return trip but he looked a bit worried at the prospect.

Then we heard about one of the riders on an ex-police ST1100 who initially we thought had blown his motor outside of Kempsey. Turns out that fuel had been leaking from his carby onto the pipework and worn through one of the radiator hoses and it blew in a spectacular fashion. Apparently this is meant to be a fault with the 1100’s, but I am sure the experts in the group can set this one straight if I have been misinformed.

Eventually left the others and headed back to my room to try and get some sleep.

Friday 13         Port Macquarie to Sydney

Woke up to this as a view during breakfast.

Next morning I headed off in front of the main group for another ‘Big Thing’ photo. This time a big axe at Kew.

I waited a short while and though they must have gone past so I headed off south. Stopped at Coopernook and they came in just after me. Refreshed and off down the highway again. We pulled into the BP at Heatherbrae to refuel for some. Those sports bikes have no stamina. Headed off while they got fed and took a photo of another “Big” object at Hexham. It’s a bit hard to make it out, but it is meant to be a ‘Big Mosquito”.

Back to Heatherbrae and it was to be heading off. There had been some bad bushfires the day before along the M1 and at one stage the road was closed in both directions. Not long into this stage and we could see where then bushfires had burnt up the entire median strip. Must have been one hell of a fire. After making our way off the Freeway into the northern outskirts of Sydney I remembered why I had moved back home. Very narrow lanes and way too many cars. Not forgetting the bad driving habits. Some tried to cut off a couple of the group, but it’s amazing what the sight of four marked bikes leading a pack can do even if they were from the wrong state.

We finally made it to the police station to park securely for the night and then a short walk for a block and a half to the hotel. Have to commend the NSW boys for their hospitality. Had a quick shower and headed across the street the Motorcycle Accessories Supermarket. It’s only a small shop but they have stuff jammed in everywhere. The manager is covered in tatts, but always greets us like long lost friends. Well we do seem to spend a bit there too.

Next stop is the pub next door for drinks and a good meal. The stories of the Cross come out again and very worried look comes back for one of the boys.

Saturday 14         Sydney to Canberra

Up early the next morning for everybody as the Sydney morning ceremony commences at 8am and everyone needs to be parked in the Domain well before the start time. I decided to to miss the convoy to Goulburn and had arranged to meet Tackleberry at McDonalds Heathcote and travel to Canberra by a different route to the main procession. I finally arrived after running a bit late after getting through unfamiliar streets. Steve only just got there before me along with two of his mates. After a coffee we headed for the Grand Pacific Drive. The Skybridge is only a short distance, but has a very spectacular view. We continued to follow the coast through the small towns until we reached the outskirts of Wollongong.

Then over to the Macquarie Pass, but there had been a large oil spill the day before and this had made the road very treacherous.  We were stopped at the bottom by the police and advised to take it very steady. It didn’t take us long to find the numerous slicks that dotted the side of the road. Then came the mist and fog. Not a fan of the combined conditions but we pushed on and arrived in the very misty village at Robertson where they have a monolith to the humble potato. However apparently the locals think it looks more like a big something else.

After a short coffee break in Marulan, we continued on to the Police Academy for a quick lunch. On the way out of Goulburn there is a big statute dedicated to the merino sheep.

After about an hour we arrived in convoy at the Federal Police Facility at Majura near the airport in Canberra. In all 1400 bikes had arrived for the last leg of the journey.

After leaving Majura we travelled past the War Memorial, down Anzac Ave  and onto the National Police Memorial for the ceremony.

Once all of the bikes had piled in the Ceremony began. The names of the two officers who had died on duty this year were read out and the ceremonial batons were placed on the memorial. Having worked with a couple of the guys with their names on the wall already, this was a very sad and moving moment.

Sunday 15         Canberra to Tamworth

After leaving the hotel and having the idle problem return I travelled back to the Feds, I fuelled up for the long trip home. Joined some of the Qld riders for a quick bite and then I was off. The Hume Freeway doesn’t get any more interesting over the years.

Up the Freeway and around the back of Sydney, refuelled just before the start of the Newcastle Expressway and onto the Freeman Road exit. Next stop Kurri Kurri for another Big photo, this time of a big kookaburra.

On through the Hunter Valley to Singleton for a shot of the big Sundial.

Next stop was Muswellbrook where I found a statue of a big blue heeler.

Final stop for the night was glorious Tamworth and the Big Golden Guitar. Refuelled and headed for the motel.

Headed off  to dinner at the Tamworth Services Club. Great value buffet for $22. Pigged out badly and ended up with seafood, Chinese, Roast Pork and dessert. Lucky I rode there as I don’t think the walk back would have been that good.

Monday 16         Tamworth to Home

Slightly delayed start to the next day and headed up to Guyra to pick up ST2UP’s old sheepskin. When I arrived the rain was threatening and Chris made me feel very welcome. Also met Abe for the first time and they showed the back man cave where both their bikes were stored. Chris’s new seat looks more impressive in person than the photos ever could.

After a short chat I was off for the final leg home. Down came the rain and it didn’t stop until after Stanthorpe. Really didn’t enjoy the mountains in the rain.

Stopped quickly for a photo of the Big Apple outside Vincenzo’s Restaurant at Thulimbah. Used to be a great place for a good Italian meal when I was living in Warwick, not sure what it is like now.

Stopped again in Warwick for the final fuel stop and hoped the weather didn’t get any worse. Heading up to the Gap I could see the clouds we e covering a good chunk of the top. Not far from the top I hit the mist. This was the worst visibility I had ever seen. I was reduced to about 20 km/h as I couldn’t see more than about 20 metres. Combined with the earlier rain, the mist and the run off from the mountain side, the road was very slippery.

It wasn’t until I got almost ¾ of the way down that the fog began to clear. Just in time for more road works. Only about 45 minutes to home from here and I couldn’t wait. Finally got home at 5 o’clock and straight into a hot shower. Crazy as it seems I had a great time and hope I can get the time off again next year.

On a slightly different note the bike(?) below was ridden from Brisbane to Canberra and back by one of the public servants from Headquarters. This was his second trip after missing last year. Fully kitted out with GPS as well. Even if we might think of he is a bit crazy, that is a big effort.

We affectionately nicknamed him 'Scooter boy'.

When I work out out how to add the short videos I will put them in the story also.
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: 2013 Wall to Wall ride
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »
Great write up Sean, and nice to meet you too.

Some great photo's there and story to tell your girls.

Take care up there.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Neale

• Legendary Member
  • Harrington Park, NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »
Mate, loved the write up. Hope to join in next year. Keep up the good work.
Neale

2009 ST 1300 Candy Apple Red

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
Great report. I hope to do next years ride, but as I am in Canberra it is a bit  close for a decent ride.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »
Great report Sean.......nice to meet you mate  :thumbs

cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
Saaz, you could come up to Goulburn for lunch and come back, or o/night in Sydney. We had one guy come up to the Gold Coast and do the trip with us.
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »
Superb write up mate, you didn't miss any of the good photo shots at all!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:08:02 PM by Streak »
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »
I was thinking of doing something like that.  For next year!

Saaz, you could come up to Goulburn for lunch and come back, or o/night in Sydney. We had one guy come up to the Gold Coast and do the trip with us.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »
A great tradition, and a wonderful privilege to be a participant, I detect.
Thanks for that collection of "big things" photos.  It's amazing what people have made around this country.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
Great write-up Sean
Scooter boy, or Vespa boy as I was told he is known, followed me for part of the way from Goulburn to Canberra so he does get going.
I was also told his return trip to Brisbane was via Cowra and Tamworth.
Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »
Thanks for the great write-up Sean.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »
Awesome report mate :clap
Thanks for sharing the event with us :hatwave and all the amazingly photos of big things :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »
Great ride report,  :clap  will mark this one on the calender for next year too i think.
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
Well done mate on an excellent ride report.

Dunno how you knew where all those 'big things' were.

Great cause too Sean - thanks again.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au