Honda ST1100 Section > Suspension ST1100

Fork Springs, Anyone tried fixed rate springs?

(1/5) > >>

Piet:
Just wondering if anyone has tried fixed rate springs rather than progressive springs?
I have just ordered some Sonic Springs from the USA and will give them a try as soon as they arrive.  To my way of thinking the argument that fixed rates actually use the travel more effectively makes sense. 
Will keep all posted on progress but looking forward to feedback on the experience that others have gained.

HunterTodd:
A fork upgrade is on my agenda too so I will be interested in your experience.  In the meantime. The V4 badge on your picture I take it you got from Bikequip in the UK.  They are sold in sets but I only want one. You wouldn't have a spare which you would like to sell would you?

Piet:
Yes thats the logo, but its just a copy and past off their web site.  I did not purchase the badge.  I like the badge but have not liked it enough to pay for it.

Brock:
I recently saw a program on springs, that explained how they work quite well eventhough it was aimed at off road racing.

Progressive springs are designed to operate over a range of resistance (for want of a better word)  for example 100 to 250 kilos where as fixed rate only works at a specified value i(e 150Kg) This means at 150 Kg, the spring would be fully compressed therefore no more travel. The progressive starts to compress a bit earlier, soaking up the small bumps, but leaves more travel for those pot holes. I think a progressive would be better for me, as I'm a tad heavy..

Have a search on google for more info.

Piet:
Hi Brock,  I too had read information applying the same logic as you share with us.  I really liked the explanation I got from Sonic's web site (might end up just being sales blurb, and I was sucked in) but to me it made a smidgen of sense so thats what makes me want to try it.   The info is taken from this web address,
http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/tech_articles.php?osCsid=cfb99b6db3bb8cbb9a65d172d9af0118

Straight-Rate Springs vs. Progressive Rate Springs
Over the last 20 years, one of the biggest changes in the aftermarket motorcycle suspension world has been the virtually complete switch from progressive rate springs to straight rate ones. I think it’s safe to say that there’s not a single reputable suspension tuner who advocates progressive springs. The question is why? What’s the problem with a progressive rate? Why are straight rate springs better?

One of the problems is that bikes, street bikes anyway, just don’t have enough travel to take advantage of progressive rates. The soft initial portion gets blown right through, leaving a limited amount of travel for the stiffer portion to deal with. This results in less compliance, less traction and a harsher ride. Another issue is damping; Damping rates, particularly rebound damping, need to be matched to the spring rate. With a progressive (i.e. variable) rate, that’s impossible. Damping is always a compromise and a progressive rate just makes the balancing act that much more difficult. Adding to the problem is that modern forks actually have 2 spring mediums, the steel coil and the air trapped inside. The air is intrinsically a highly progressive spring. Adding a progressively wound steel spring to the mix is just making a bad situation worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version