Author Topic: PM Lubricants- Australia's own Predictive and Preventative solution  (Read 23941 times)

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: PM Lubricants- Australia's own Predictive and Preventative solution
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »
I love the smell of aerostart....

I am about to ask around about wheter the fuel pump keeps on going when the LPG is on, so will let you know. With a previous statesman 5.0 litre on lpg the fuel pump kept on running while the lpg was on, so keeping a reasonable amount of petrol in the tank was important.

I always run either 5W-50 or 10W-60 full synthetic oil. I have a stash of it bought on runout from a local Kmart.  I use it in the ST1100 as well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:37:44 PM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
One question about PM800..does it act as a fuel stabiliser?  I have used Lucas fuel stabiliser for keeping containers of unleaded (91 or 95) around for using in the mower and topping up the bike before  trip if I can't get out to fill it up.

I have just started to use PM800 in the car and ST11 so will see what happens.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »
It does act as a fuel stabilizer in both 2 and 4 stroke applications

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 08:26:02 PM »
I love the smell of aerostart....

I am about to ask around about wheter the fuel pump keeps on going when the LPG is on, so will let you know. With a previous statesman 5.0 litre on lpg the fuel pump kept on running while the lpg was on, so keeping a reasonable amount of petrol in the tank was important.

I always run either 5W-50 or 10W-60 full synthetic oil. I have a stash of it bought on runout from a local Kmart.  I use it in the ST1100 as well.
Not sure what year your Statesman is mines an 04 WK 5.7 with electronic Fuel & LPG injection when the LPG is on the fuel pump is off, the old 5.0 L V8  had a mechanical fuel pump that's why it was on all the time.
I too am going to use the PM800 in my Stato & S pac ute as well as the ST, lawnmower, brushcutter, edger (now that will see how it works,what a bastard to start) & looking forward to the results
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
Same scarp- I'm itching for some feedback!  Anything hard to start- double dose the fuel,  by the end of the third tank it should be easier to start (be sure to check spark plug and the gap isn't too big).  2 strokers I tend to mix PM800 into the 2 stroke oil then mix into fuel so you still get an accurate ratio but get a good shot of PM800 to clean it up.  Up to you how you do it but I tend to mix 2 stroke in the machine itself using a syringe, at the moment I only have the one machine, which isn't used very often- I think the one tank is now 9 months old, but just started it a week ago and it still fired fine.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
Scarp, I have a WL Statesman, 5.7 litre so much the same as you. What LPG system do you run?  In my VQ statesman it had EFI, but the fuel pump ran all the time.

If my lawn mower starts easily I will be so impressed!
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
I'll have a look tonight I think it is avanti or something like that but the electric fuel pump is off when the LPG is on in that the petrol system is pressurised, however as the petrol is not flowing the pump is effectivly "off" If that makes sense.
 I'm pretty sure that the VQ was a mechanical pump so as long as the engine was running so was the pump even tho petrol was not flowing, it keeps circulating the same petrol inside itself. I had an 82 VH Commodore many years ago on LPG & ended up fitting an electric fuel pump as I had that same problem & when I went to use petrol the mechanical pump would be gummed up
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 04:30:30 PM »
I had a 6 cyl VH as well years go, but not on the LPG. The XF falcon I had after was on gas, did 470,000kms in it.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »
My trip down and back to the National Rally was one of around 2,300kms and I dutifully put in the req'd amount of PM800 each fuel up.

I also changed the engine oil before I left to the recommended PM Lubricants oil for my location and engine spec.

I can say that the engine running and gear changes are every bit as good, if not better than the Shell Turbo Diesel oil previously used, so I could say that the oil certainly lives up to Brad's claims.

As for the PM800 fuel additive, I cannot say for certainty that it added range, but I was riding 'enthusiastically'. I can say that the idle and revving through the range was crisp and no problems or lags/stutters or other. I DO feel it is cleaning my injectors and fuel system, and lubing the valve seats etc, so at $1 per tank with all the fore mentioned benefits, I am a fan and will be using it forthwith.

I will post up in the future when i get back to more 'normal' riding conditions over the same old roads and same conditions to make a fair comparison - either way the other benefits alone are enough for me to add it in to my tank!

Thanks Brad.
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »
One advantage I see for doing FarRides is that it may help prevent a dody batch of fuel (water etc) stranding you if it does clean out that sort of thing.

I have the PM800 in the car and bike at the moment. Bike has not been ridden, car is half way through the first tank  Hard to judge on such a short time so in a few weeks I should have more reactions to post up.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 01:47:57 PM »
I am also trialling the PM800 in another ST1100 that has the front two cylinders running a bit rich, and has reduced tank range as a result.

Brad, on a non-bike related issue - the PM website does not have any information up on auto transmission fluid.  All I can see is that you have full synthetic.  Are your auto fluids ok to replace Dex III/VI - mine specifies Dex 111 but I was thinking of going the full flush/full synthtic route to get the most life out of the 4 speed auto (2004 version).  I run a transmission cooler. Any other info on the life of the fluid, specifications etc?  The others I am looking at are Tranzmax or Nulon synthetics.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Yes, we actually do 2 auto trans fluids, one is Dex II compatable (and is extraordinarily powerful in older boxes or newer boxes on their last legs), the other is a synthetic multifill, which is compatible with Dex II and onward, 95LE and so on.  There is only one gearbox I am aware of that it won't go into, which is the Falcon ZF 6 speed, as Ford have not yet released their fluid requirements for this.

The fluid is expensive, but built the same way as all oils and will reduce gearbox running temperature.  If it was a Ford gearbox or if it is highly strung then I would say no question pump it through, changing all the fluid.  However Holden boxes aren't too bad with heat (particularly since you have put a cooler on- good work by the way) so the choice is yours to either pump through and leave it for a couple of hundred thousand km, or drop the pan changing around half of the fluid in the box- not forgetting the filter of course, probably not servicing again for 40-60,000km depending on the condition of the oil in the box now.

Prices- 5 litres $90
          20 litres $346

I'm sure I can do free delivery on the 20 litre, I will just need to check.

By the way your cooler- is that bypassing the factory cooling tank in the radiator, or running through that then to the cooler?

Brad

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Brad, it is a PWR (Queensland as well!) unit installed after the radiator transmission cooler, as per their instructions.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
Queenslanders know how it's done!

Fair enough, just be aware that both Fords and Holdens suffer from those tanks fracturing, I've personally had one pump all the trans fluid into the radiator on a VT- luckily no water in tranny, and it only just reached overheating before I noticed so no damage- my BA XR8 has a PWR in bypass.  My preference is to bypass the stock tank altogether, but that is just my experience.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »
I looked into that. There is a bigger risk of overcooling in Canberra and inland Australia given the freezing outside temperatures we can get. We can also get real hot too.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
No dramas good you've looked into it.  To be honest being a Queenslander all my life I've never considered overcooling! 

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
Hi Brad,

I'm just curious as to why we need to use this PM800 (and others) when ULP 95 fuels and some ULP 91 fuels have all cleaning additives in the fuel.

http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAndServices/Pages/VortexPremiumFuels.aspx

"Caltex Vortex Premium Fuels have been specifically formulated with special detergents to clean your car's fuel system while you drive - breaking down and removing deposits that build up in critical areas of the fuel delivery system"

Caltex doesn't mention ULP 91 which I use when the other retailer is closed. This would be the same for Woolies fuel as well.

Shell goes one further with their ULP91

Under "Types of Shell Unleaded" Tab

"Shell Unleaded petrol contains our Fuel Economy Formula, designed to clean deposits within the engine."

http://www.shell.com.au/home/content/aus/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/shell_unleaded/overview/

I use Shell ULP91 whenever I have the discount voucher.

and BP claims the same as Shell.

http://www.bp.com/retail/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9038071&contentId=7069926

•Contains a detergent additive that keeps your injectors and inlet valves clean, helping maintain performance

That being the claim from the big two plus Caltex, so, what does PM800 have that isn't all ready in the fuel.

I've had the 1100 six years (next month) and have no starting problems in that time. I ran the plugs for five years (changed Jan 2011) without a miss or any carbon build up. I did check them a couple times and re-gapped if needed.

Alan

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »
Hi Alan,

You're right- a good deal of fuels do have great cleaning additives in them already.  When I help tear down racebikes or bikes ridden hard and run on BP Ultimate, they are consistently clean through the ports, valves and also piston crowns.  It's great that your machine has run so well over the years, how you look after it obviously works well for you which is the main thing.  So I certainly won't say you 'have to' run any additive.

Simply- some benefits are better cleaning (yes, even better than premium fuels), more complete combustion in the chamber, lubricating all moving parts- the most noticeable result is improving throttle response and notably increasing fuel economy.  The stories I get told almost every week just blow me away, so much so that I'm confident enough to introduce this product and wait for the results to come.

Watch this space, if the product is as good as I say the people here will be talking about it soon enough

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 06:43:35 AM »
Having just stumbled onto this thread I can say that I'm five years ahead of the rest when it comes to having experience with PM Lubricants. Some of you know that I'm in the earthmoving industry, so lubricants have always been an important factor in long term reliabilty.

I was told about PM Lubricants by a client of mine in Mareeba. It was around the time I brought my first K1200LT.  He gave such glowing reports about his experiences that I decided I would give it a try. Well, all I can say is I was amazed at the difference it made to my bike. It noticed a difference right from initial start up after the oil change was done. I got around 50km more from each tank of fuel due to the reduction in friction alone, as I wasn't running any fuel conditioner. I did oil changes at 20,000k's as to do them any earlier was a waste of money as I would be tossing out perfectly good oil. I have PM in the gearbox and diff of my current K1200LT and will be putting Pm in the egine again at the next change. (Did the last one in a hurry and had to grab oil from my local Supercheap store).

Anyone who's not using it should be. You will be delighted with the results. You can also forget the idea of doing oil changes at 6000k's. It's totally unwarranted if your using PM Lubricants in my opinion.   
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
Which one of these are you using Baz?
http://www.pmlubricants.com.au/shop/category/engine-oil

Cheers Dick :)

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 06:37:36 AM »
Hi guys

I have some  sad news, I am no longer working with PM Lubricants.  But I must say it was purely a business and personal decision, nothing to do with the products.  Infact I still back them as the best, and will continue to use them myself, my girlfriend's car, her bike, her old man's truck and boat, all the lawn gear (we're on 10 acres so there is a bit of gear).

I'm more than happy to chat to you guys about which products best suit your application, but for all orders please contact Steve himself, (07) 3711 5822 or info@pmlubricants.com.au 

Steve is the owner and director of PM Lubricants and is extremely knowledgeable and approachable, and rides himself (though everytime he does he comes back broke and minus a few points).

Thanks for your support guys.  I am leaving this happy that I have helped spread the word of some of the best products in Australia.

Brad

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
sorry tohear Brad, hope all goes well for the future. Hope youn stay in touch, and make it to a few rides.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline rocketeer

• ST Legend
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:30 AM »
Thanks mate, with not working weekends  may actually get the chance to get my bike back up and running!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Yeah Brad - hope you keep a foot in the door here at OzSTOC as you've shown yourself to be extremely knowledgable, trustworthy, VERY patient, and a great bloke too.

Thanks for all the wisdom and solutions you have provided OzSTOC members over your time here, and I hope you are staying close to the industry you show such expertise in.

We'd love to hear in the near future that you're out n about on two wheels enjoying yourself, so make sure you drop us a line from time to time.

All the best mate.     :thumb

From ALL the OzSTOC Team.     
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au