Author Topic: New tyres - where from, or join a group order?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
New tyres - where from, or join a group order?
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
hiyas,

In preparation my my big lap (map here  ;-* ) I'll be putting a new pair of shoes on the old girl before heading out. I'm tossing up taking a new set with me as spares (in the trailer to avoid a wait if required - but not convinced).

Sticking with the Michelin PR4 GT... The best I've had around Perth is around $550 mark (Tyres for Bikes) for the pair fitted ($500 not fitted). However, I can mail-order them from USA for $414 USD (incl. $60 shipping - from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com).

So, 3 questions:
* can anyone recommend tyres in Perth that can do better? or
* if I go down the mail order path, who would like to join me in an order to split/reduce the shipping cost?
* has anyone used a USA supplier recently that can beat this price (Jake Wilson can't)?

Cheers, Rob.
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
Re: New tyres - where from, or join a group order?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »
Hi Rob,
Google tells me that USD$414 is AUD$538.78
The sweet spot for me (freight costs) when I bought tyres from Jake Wilson was 3 pair, though I haven't bought tyres for a couple of years.
Personally, for such a small saving, I would buy locally.
I have had to buy tyres on two different trips away. Both times (Alice Springs and Port Augusta) there was only 1 rear tyre left in the shop so fortunatley I didn't have to pay for extra days accommodation while waiting for a replacement tyre to be shipped in. You can be lucky.
If you have the room just carry a rear tyre. It is going to go first, especially when towing. Your front tyre may last until you get home. Otherwise once you've replaced the rear tyre purchase a front tyre at the next major town and carry that. This way you'll only need to carry one tyre at a time.

The following users thanked this post: BigTed

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
I got my last set of tyres from here http://www.roadandriver.com.au/ and I checked the PR4 price and it came out to $467.90 (reduced 10% sale price) for the tyres plus $50 freight to WA making total $517.90 Had you lived anywhere else (except NT and QLD) freight would have been free.

Not much cheaper for you at that price so may as well buy local
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline DBfive

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • David B
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »
Local Honda dealer here in Bundy fitted a pair of PR4s for $560, not sure if he had them in stock but usually a day or two only if not.
Dave B
ST1300
CB750 K7