General Category > LONG DISTANCE RIDING, Proper preparation, Safety and Tips

Accident Out off action

(1/4) > >>

STOM1100:
Happy Newyear to all.
No one will have seen me on a FarRide or any other ride nor have i been active on any forum's the reason A very bad crash.
The rason i want to mention this is reffering to saftey gear .
There is only one reason Iam able to talk about this is because of the gear i always wore nomatter if going 2k's or 1200k's.

So what happened,I was riding home from work a 35k trip on tonkin hwy traffic at one point was at a total stop and having seen a rider killed splitting traffic i just wont do it.Well i decided to take Kewdale rd and go the back way home. I had just turned onto kewdale road traffic heavy but moving about 55-60 in a 70 zone. Out of nowhere a car shot out from my left across in front of me and stopped ? . This was probably 15-20mtr's in fronrt of me so at 60klm hr i was there before could react. Next thing i know i am lying in middle of road and every thing was extreemly painful,I knew that i was in serious trouble. I had been wearing a 3/4 rst jacket with shoulder elbow and back protection as well under this was an ICON body armour vest with chest and back protection. Plus proper bike boots and fullface helmet. The doc adv that if i had not been wearing this gear death was only option.
   The next 48 hrs is a blur but the result was a open book fracture of the pelvis with a 5cm split adomanal wall seperation burst ateries and a few other internal injuries,the left for arm was smashed the thin bone clear brake the thicker bone just shattered bits to small to evev pin or screw. So now i have several plate's holding me together. I also have several verabre fracture c1 & t1 also not good but not paralized.
   I spent 4 weeks lying on back looking at a spot on the ceiling,every body function done by tubes or othe invasive means which i do not want to revisit.This all happened 16th October I walked again for the first time after on Dec 6th. I am just Starting back at work only part time as the pain is to great but im a stuborn bastered. The end result I may never have the body power to ride a normal bike for several years,I plan to look at a trike in about 2 years. The reason is I beleive if you can not pick up a bike lying on it's side you do not ride it.Anyway thats my personal rule.
                     THE MESSAGE HERE NO MATTER HOW CAREFULL OR HOW GOOD YOU ARE IT CAN HAPPEN.
SO TO SAVE YOUR SELF FROM EITHER DYING OR LYING IN HOSPITAL LOOKING A THE FACES OF THOSE YOU LOVE LOOKING DOWN ON YOU AND
ASKING WILL YOU LIVE AND HOW?
                 WEAR FULL PROTECTIVE GEAR ITS CHEAPER THAN YOU THINK.

Regards Tom   please ride safe and enjoy.
 ps my motto used to be ( there are no bad rides some just better than others) that was wrong.
     THat was a bad ride.
Now looking for a new moto in life?

Biggles:
Very sorry to hear of your prang.  Sounds very serious.  I trust you make a good and quick recovery.
Let us know more when you feel like it.

Bill

Brock:
Tom, at least you are at home.

If there is anything we can do to help you, just drop a line..

StinkyPete:
Tom, we've never met, but your story has moved me.  Life can indeed change in a split second, and we never know when that might be around the corner for us.    I pray that your healing and recovery will continue, and that you'll gain strength from the friends and family around you.

tj189:
Tom, thank you for sharing your accident and thoughts. It is a good reminder for the rest of us riders for ATGATT.
Take care of yourself and take the time to mend.  Best wishes for your recovery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version