Honda ST1300 Section > "How To..." Instructions and Pics for Regular Maintenance Jobs specific to the ST1300...

ST1300 Headlight Bulb Replacement

(1/18) > >>

Shiney:
Over the weekend I found myself having to replace the left side headlight bulb as low beam had stopped working.
So I thought I’d take some pics and do another How To :grin

Put the bike on the centre stand and turn the handlebars to the side you need to replace (as I was replacing the bulb on the left I turned it to the left)
This gives a great view to the rear of the headlight

Note: The area can be accessed from above (following the line of sight in the following pics) or from below.

Now remove the plug from the back of the existing bulb.
(The plug has a tab on each side that needs to be pushed in at the same time to release its grip on the bulb)
NOTE: The tabs on the side of the plug are are actually located closer to the bulb then is displayed in the picture below

Now remove the rubber boot from around the bulb.
The boot on mine has a rubber tab sticking out so it was easy to grab and pull, the boot comes straight off.

This will expose the bulb and the tension wire securing the bulb in place.

Now release the tension wire and remove the bulb.
Push in on the wire and move it to the side to release the wire as shown in the following image

Cut the two side tabs off the new bulb

Slip an adaptor shim over the top of the new bulb (If the old bulb has one on it remove it and place it on the new bulb)

The adaptor has a small cut out at the bottom that fits around two little tabs that stick up. With a set of pliers squash the base of the bulb to the adaptor then bend the two little tabs over the adaptor to help secure it to the base of the bulb.

Now slip the new bulb into the light enclosure (feel around the edges to make sure the tabs are sitting in the matching groves)
Push the tension wire across the bulb and slide it to the side to lock it in place.

Now slip the rubber boot over the bulb.
Place a finger through the little hole and hold it up to the back of the bulb, feel for the three prongs from the back of the bulb and slid the boot on around them (make sure all three prongs come through the hole) then push around the outer edge of the boot to secure it in place.

Finally slip the power plug onto the bulb and test

Cheers
Shiney

Esstee 13:
Nice write up Shiney.
I replaced both of mine a couple of weeks ago with Phillips globes and the light output is now sensational. It took me just under 1 hour to do the first side and 9 minutes to do the second side. Ahh the pleasure of knowing what you are doing.
 :rd13

Whizz:
Good write up mate, we should start calling this section "Shiney's Manuals" after the Haynes Manuals of years gone by. The Haynes Manuals  were done the same way, they bought a car and the mechanic took it apart while having photos taken of salient bits and pieces. Then the whole thing was put back together with more pictures. Incredibly useful manuals which would allow an almost complete novice to strip his car down to the floor and the rebuild it.

Well done, keep it up!!

Shiney:
Thanks Esstee :hatwave

And a big thankyou to Whizz for all the kind words and encouragement over all my guides :-++ :-++ :-++
I'm sure I'll do some other things to the bike :wink1 so there will be more How To Guides showing up in the future :grin

And luckily the brain trust is always there to make sure the whole thing makes sense and add anything I missed, thanks guys :-++ :-++ :-++

Cheers
Shiney

Shiney:
Thanks Gavo :hatwave

The bulbs I used were these ones from ebay.au:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261109534456?var=560161364093&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version