Farkles, Gear & Accessories > Farkles and Gear General Section

Farklemania (or how to have fun with an ST in your shed)

(1/4) > >>

John Meara:
It all started with my silver 2003 ST1300A, understood to be the first one registered and on the roads in Queensland.

After much farkling over a few years, I've sold old faithful and now the batton has been passed from the silver to the red....

My little red wagon is about to suffer a humungous attack of farkle-mania  :o   

This time, I am tackling this as a project to get the bulk of the work done in one hit.  So the farkles have gathered....

Now the fun begins.... installation  :)

John Meara:
The fun began with a vengeance.  For this effort, I decided it was best to not only strip all the fairings, but also to release the front dash area and remove the top fuel tank completely:

A week or two ago, I began stage 1 of the project:

* Seat and topbox backrest
* Honda tank pad
* Rear mud flap inside rear wheel well (to protect shock)
* Uniden UHF radio on RAM mount
* Spotlight brackets by Dick Seng
* Headlight protector
* eToll device hidden under front fairing
* PIAA 910 lighting harness routing
* Garage door opener (right side glove compartment)
* Powerlet outlet to left glovebox area
* Radguard radiator guard (repainted black powder coated)
* Fenda Extender (front guard)
* Topbox spoiler and lighting harness
* Topbox rack (repainted black powder coated)
* Helibar risers with RAM mount & Powerlet outletStage 2 began two nights ago:

* McCruise cruise control installed (the big job, took about 8 hours)
* Zumo 660 cradle and harness routing
* Starcom Digital - some wiring routing startedStage 3 begins this weekend. Hopefully I'll get it mostly completed; leaving only minor tidy-ups. 
It will be good to get back in the saddle.  :)

West Aussie Glen:
John you are missing tipover bars, staintune mufflers and gear indicator. You seat looks great.
How much did it cost and are you happy with it?

John Meara:

--- Quote from: WestAussie Glen on September 16, 2011, 01:46:17 AM ---John you are missing tipover bars, staintune mufflers and gear indicator. You seat looks great.
How much did it cost and are you happy with it?

--- End quote ---

Hi Glen,
I considered the gear position indicator years ago and have the pics from the US on it (maybe one day).
Not interested (yet) in changing mufflers (unless these rust out or get damaged).  Also don't want any more noise (I already wear ear plugs on the bike and hearing aids off it (from loss due to noise riding etc) and the police here are getting stricter on noise emissions.

The seat is excellent for both me and my pillion-in-a-million. Great for avoiding sore bums on long days and pillion doesn't slide forward the same way as on the OEM slippery-dip. I went for the leather cover, but vinyl would be okay too. The secret is in the saddle shape (bit like on the old Massey Ferguson tractors) and the high density foam padding covered in softer thin layer (then I like the leather too).  Cost 8 years ago was $550, so expect that has risen significantly.

I originally ordered a Corbin seat on their promise it would make it easier for a short arse to put his feet on the ground; but when it did not (it was  heavy plank), I got my money back and arranged the Ergo seat from John Moorhouse.  Half the price (at the time) and half the weight!!  One of the best investments on the bike.  Here are some compare pics:

Marcus:
Sweet baby jebus...That's nuts... BTW which seat is which?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version