Author Topic: Bark Busters BBZ - anyone use these?  (Read 5856 times)

atoyot

Bark Busters BBZ - anyone use these?
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:18:17 PM »
In at the not-so-local Yamaha shop getting some bits for the Yamaha MisTress, and they had these in stock, which I then had to buy for my other miSTress. The ST is in drydock waiting for a SMC kit, so hoping to get to test them, and the brakes, very soon.

http://www.barkbusters.net/products/bbz/3487-bbz-001

Anyone tried these? I've got heated grips, but the outside of my hands still freeze in even temps approaching zero, so having these and heated grips would have to work well, I hope. I haven't read a test where they've been used with heated grips, but everyone who uses them reckons they'd work brilliantly with them. From a dry fitment, they look like they can be made to fit around the various handlebar bling that festoons the ST. Will report on how it goes in practice if anyones interested.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Bark Busters BBZ - anyone use these?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:02 PM »
I first thought that this was about stopping a dog barking...

Looks like they would keep the chill out off.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Grumpy

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:05:22 AM »
I have used these on a quad, mustering cattle and usually without gloves. I reckon with heated grips and gloves it would all get a bit hot in there. They are certainly effective.
Cheers
Grumpy :grin :wht11 :bl11
(John)
2000 ST1100PY  - RhondaG
1990 ST1100L ( now parts )
0418 164 819

Ulysses# 62049
STOC # 8757

Offline Brookester

• Brookester
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:01:20 AM »
Fitted them to the FJR when in Tassie and worked an absolute treat. Makes the heated grips function better at a lower setting.  :like
One day you will wake up and there won't be anymore time to do the things you've always wanted so do them NOW!!!
Remember there are 7 days in a week and Someday isn't one of them!

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:52:53 AM »
The Barkbusters muffs look ok but couldn't find a price.

I've found Oxford products 2 b exactly as stated and looked into these:
http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/p/573833/oxford-rainseal-handlebar-muffs.html @ $80 delivered.

I would have bought them however I have RamMount mirrors that might not b compatible.

A point in their favour is that they contain a pocket that can hold Oxford electric hand warmers:
http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/Oxford-Hot-Hands-Heated-over%252dgrips.html
But these r more than $110 b4 delivery. If u already have heated grips then you're laughing!

:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 11:08:02 AM »

Rode in -2c through Hunter/New England area with Gerbing heated gloves (great gear).  The added wind deflectors force the air about 100mm higher of my hand, allowing me to turn the temperature of the gloves down.

Also, rode home from RTE at Gular 5c temp (heavy fog in parts) on the dash, with summer gloves and heated grips on 3.

They are made from aluminum are held on with automotive double sided tape and 2 small screws.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

atoyot

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »
Hey Gregory, I've seen the handlebar muffs before, but a minus from my point of view is that they encompass the whole handgrip area, and you've got to take your hand out of them if you want to see the controls; well at least that's what it looks like. The BarkBusters are open at the back, and all controls and buttons are visible, and with heated grips, in really cold weather, it only the outside of your fingers that still freeze, so that's the bit that I'm trying to keep warm. Having said that, muffs would certainly keep everything inside them warm, so the point where they would almost be slow cookers if you weren't careful with the heat settings!

I reckon those added deflectors would work pretty well too, Abe. They'd just deflect the cold oncoming air that bit higher. Where did they originate from?

I just had a quick look at other hand muff type products, and it seems that the Europeans have thought of everything. I know that the Europeans love aprons for their scooters (leg or body muffs anyone??), but here is a version for the ST1300:-

http://www.vpcbike.com/accessoire-moto-Tablier-bagster-HONDA-ST1300.html

:eek :eek :eek

another link:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2010/september/sep0610-new-bagster-heated-muffs-and-apron-/

Sort of like heated chaps fixed to the bike? Not for me, as I'd rather have cold knees and feet. In fact, that's probably the worst bit about muffs or even these barkbusters; they just don't look that great. Having said that, I don't look that great either, but at least on the road, the ugliness is all covered up anyway. It's only scary when the helmet comes off!

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
I reckon those added deflectors would work pretty well too, Abe. They'd just deflect the cold oncoming air that bit higher. Where did they originate from?

Just my idea, haven't seen them anywhere else.  The idea was something that could be removed in summer and replaced in Winter.

Very happy with them  :thumbs
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

atoyot

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »

Just my idea, haven't seen them anywhere else.  The idea was something that could be removed in summer and replaced in Winter.

Very happy with them  :thumbs

I thought so.... they look far better than anything you can buy commercially.

Any thoughts of mass production?

atoyot

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
The Barkbusters muffs look ok but couldn't find a price.

They were $130 at Readfords in Dubbo, but can be found on ebay for $120 and another $20 for postage......

Pretty expensive as such, but they come with multiple fittings for just about any type of handlebar.

Brake SMC kit is in today, so looks  like I've got to clear a clean space to do an overhaul and fluid change now, then to test the Barkbusters!

atoyot

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 08:15:29 PM »
Brakes all done, with new fluid all round, and a rebuilt SMC. I installed the BarkBusters and found that the simplest way was to remove the handlebar weights and use the longest supplied aluminium spacer, and they tightened up nicely. I've also got a handlebar hook, and I refitted that as well, but it is angled back a bit, so will try it to see if it's still worthwhile using.

I went for a ride today, deliberately in my summer gloves, and I can report that in 7 deg heat, with summer gloves on and the heated grips on the 2nd setting, it is comfortable enough without getting cold fingers on the outside. With Winter gloves, I'm sure that it would be very comfortable, and maybe so even dropping the temp to the lowest setting.

I found the bark busters allowed full access to all the controls easily, and I felt that I was used to them after about 30ks of riding. Every now and then, I didt notice the top of my fingers touching the top of the inside of the RHS barkbuster when moving to use the brakes, but I think that this is something that would become second nature after a bit more time.

Apart for the looks being a bit different they work well and seem to be a good investment for those already with heated grip and decent gloves, but still find the outside of your fingers get cold. They would be a 2 min job to remove and replace the original bar weights. Pics to follow, after I have a decent ride of more than 30K's.

Offline Garry_Coates

• ST1100 ABS/TCS (95), XR600R (99) and TXC310R (13)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 10:23:36 AM »
Hi atoyot,
          do the BBZs block any vision from the mirrors? I think most handlebar mitts would have that problem with the STs.

With regard to heated grips. How well do they work keeping the outer three fingers warm? That is my biggest problem area.

Regards
           Garry

atoyot

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
They do a bit, mainly in the upper inner quadrant, but I guess it depends on how tall you are, how high you sit, and how you have your mirrors adjusted. After I installed them, I adjusted my mirrors slightly, as they were visible, but for me, not too obstructive.

Here's some photos that might help:-

Left hand mirror is a bit high, but this gives you the idea. RHS is a bit out, but in use, you can just see the bottom of the barkbuster.

I still haven't had the chance to ride any real distance, but with winter gloves, cold fingers will be a thing of the past. Will try and get the time on the weekend, pending half decent weather, but I suspect that with reasonable gloves and heated grips, there is a setting that would be between roasting and warm that will suit.

Heres a few shots showing what they look like....not the best, but not as doofy as most mitts or muffs, the handlebar type....

Apart from how warm they keep my hands, the thing I really like about these is that they are open at the back and all the controls are easy to see and access, even my MCC control. The peg type throttle lock I still have installed touchs the top inner surface when in use, but it's still useable as well. Real happy so far, but will hopefully get a very cold ride in to give them a torture test soon. Just that I'm getting a bit soft in the cold now.

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »
That certainly looks like a well organised STeed Andrew. Just about every bell and whistle that is worth having. I m concerned tho that the Barkbusters r really obscuring the mirrors. The fotos probabubbly make it look worse than reality - but sheeh! I had an incident once where a wide rolled-up tent on the pillion seat obscured the STeed's mirrors nearly resulting in an impatient cager wiping me off the road when I moved back 2 the left lane a little late and my mirrors were obscured. I would even go as far as saying the the ST1300 is a magnificently designed machine with the gr8 exception being the mirrors which r far 2 low.

My ram mounted mirrors solved this 4 me. Look into getting at least a left one m8 coz u have a spare ram mount there. I'll possibibbly go 2 the Mountain High Pies RTE and if so, you can test them on mine.
 You will b blown away with amazement and not by surprise encroachments!  WOW:

New bike looks sens8ionL - you even have those cool PanEuropean badges.  :thumb
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:37:14 PM by ST.George »
"Illogical Captain".

atoyot

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »
Thanks, Gregory, apart from a higher screen and a redeployment of my fairing and mirror deflectors, theres nothing more I need to do to it, other than put heaps more K's on it. An RDL seat would be nice, but the Sargent in combination with an airhawk makes consecutive 1000k days possible.

I definitely will consider the RAM mount mirrors like yours, as you are correct about the ST1300 mirrors. I sit fairly high on the seat, being 6'2" on an airhawk, but I still get great views of my elbows, but I think I'll wait and see how the mirrors pan out (pun not intended) for the time being, as I'm still fiddling with the GPS mount, tyre watch as such on the dash RAM mounts. I've also got another free down on the steering stem, so I've got some flexibility in where to locate the various bits and pieces.

Whilst I probably don't ride in as much traffic as most, rear vision is important, and those RAM mount ones of yours would have to be the ducks guts in rear vision. Such a great use of RAM mounts as the choice of mount itself allows the positioning of the mirrors as high as needed. EMACHISit and where do I get them again?

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 02:23:30 PM »
Double take mirror $35 plus I used a long ram xtension as well:

http://shop.adventuremoto.com.au/doubletake-mirror.html

"Illogical Captain".

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 01:12:38 AM »
I've got a set of "hippo hands" muffs from the US.  They completely cover the handlebars and with summer gloves / low setting on heated grips they keep my hands toasty.  The only mod I needed to make was a small incision for the ram mount and I need to come up with a bracket design to hold the muffs off the clutch lever and brake lever (wind pressure).  They look bulky and room is a bit of a premium with winter gloves, brackets will probably fix that.  They partially obscure the mirror on the St11 but not an issue.

Offline Garry_Coates

• ST1100 ABS/TCS (95), XR600R (99) and TXC310R (13)
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »
Hi atoyot,
              great pictures. Thanks.
Regards
           Garry

atoyot

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 04:13:44 PM »
I've got a set of "hippo hands" muffs from the US.  They completely cover the handlebars and with summer gloves / low setting on heated grips they keep my hands toasty.  The only mod I needed to make was a small incision for the ram mount and I need to come up with a bracket design to hold the muffs off the clutch lever and brake lever (wind pressure).  They look bulky and room is a bit of a premium with winter gloves, brackets will probably fix that.  They partially obscure the mirror on the St11 but not an issue.

The Bark Busters are a rigid type design, so they don't tend to push on the levers, but I can certainly see by the pics I've seen of the hippo hands that they would be the ultimate for keeping your hands as warm as you need. The BBZ's seem to be in between the hippo hands type of muffs, and the small barkbuster type handguards, such as the "storms", and I think their performance is somewhere in between them as well. Warmer than normal barkbusters, but not as warm as muffs; not as restrictive as muffs, but a bit more restrictive than normal barkbusters. I guess time will tell if they sag or hinder vision or access in some way.

I'll repost after my next long-ish ride for any further observations.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

atoyot

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
That's putting it mildly..