Author Topic: Flashing Fuel Gauge  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Zed14

• Zed14 - Out and About
Flashing Fuel Gauge
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:14:35 PM »
A couple of weeks ago the fuel gauge on my ST1300 started flashing all bars nearly everytime I went for a ride, and then after about 10 minutes or so of riding it would start to working again.  My best Google-foo found what resistance the upper fuel sender should show from full to empty, a troubleshooting page that suggests an open circuit in the fuel sender unit, and most advice was to replace the upper sender unit. 

I'll cut to the chase - I found an intermittent open circuit in the sender unit which is likely to be an issue that others may experience and be able to repair.

Overall the sender worked fine, but there are two pins that connects the two wires from the sender unit inside the tank to the wires on the outside of the tank that plugs into the bikes wiring harness.  Essentially the wires on both sides are only crimped to the connector pins.  And it is this crimping that appears to be intemittently open circuit.

Scratching back the pins on both sides enabled soldering the wires to the pins on both sides.  This removed the issue of a bad connection between inside and outside the tank and I've not had a problem since.
-----------------------
Glen
2014 ZX14R - where the answer to every question is 200hp
2005 ST1300 - just venturing into world of ST's
1994 VFR750 - cause it just makes me smile
IBA #39449
FarRider #191
Blog - zed14.com

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, Shiney, Wild Rose, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Flashing Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 08:50:26 PM »
Thanks for that.  After a recent post I immediately thought of "bad battery", but your failure was isolated to the fuel bars and not the rest of the display.
Well done on finding the simple fix.  Always a pity that manufacturers settle for quick connections in electronics.
The fuel indicator system is quite accurate and reliable considering its just based on a float and a potentiometer.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927