Author Topic: 2020-01-18 Hindmarsh Island Ride To Eat  (Read 1043 times)

2020-01-18 Hindmarsh Island Ride To Eat
« on: January 18, 2020, 06:17:05 PM »
Another enjoyable RTE done and dusted.  We may have had some scorching heat and choking smoke in South Australia in recent weeks but today the weather was perfect, the wind was tolerable and as always the company was great.

First task was to check the Tour Down Under's road closures for the day.  That's something I wanted to stay away from today.

My ride started in the dark as I first rode to the GPO to collect my mail and then to Victoria Square to get a photo of the big blow up bicycle.  This one truly is for a limited time only.  It's only up there when the Tour Down Under is on.  As I parked up and was getting out a police wagon stopped at the lights.  Technically I am not supposed to be there so wondered if I should move along or just go and take my photo.  The lights changed and he drove off.  As I was packing up to leave another one (may have been the same one coming for a second look) came but again with the lights drove off.

Now the real tricky one.  I wanted to get one with the Mall's Balls in Rundle Mall.  I rode up to the end of Gawler Place, parked up, walked in and looked to see how far they were from where I was.  Too far.  Did the same at Twin Street and thought too far again.  I then tried from the North Terrace side and Charles Street.  It was only a few metres away from that one so in quickly, got my photo and got out.

From there is was ride down Anzac Highway to Glenelg before doing the southern beaches.  Whilst I already have this I got another photo of the big Hill's Hoist in O'sullivan Beach.  Hill's no longer own the property but the Hill's Hoist has been left standing.

They were all my big things for the day although I did get some scupltures and stuff elsewhere.  From Myponga I turned into Pages Flat Road and then took Hindmarsh Tiers Road to Hindmarsh Valley.  I don't think I have ever ridden that road before, and if I have it was pre 2015.  I saw two roos along it and not much else.  As I took this photo in Hindmarsh Valley a lady came running out and asked me if I was looking to hire.  Hire what?  The hall she said.  I told her I was just being a tourist.

I first rode to Hindmarsh Island almost five years ago to the day on my Firenze.  I got stopped by stock on the road coming back from the Mundoo Island turn off.

The kwaka went over the bridge once (2018 or 2019) but only over to the bridge where I then turned around and came back.  Today it saw more of the island than the Firenze as I did nearly every road on the island, dirt included).  There were a lot og GPS droputs on this map but Spotwalla also suffered the same fate so I guess there were some issues today, either in GPS land or maybe just mobile phone coverage.

I didn't go in.

This black swan was where Randall Road came to an end on the far east of the island.

No South Australian road trip is complete without either a salt lake or a disused railway.  Today it was the salt lake.

I quite like these stencil art signs.

This road has been sealed since I came here in 2015.  One day I would really like to ride from here across all the islands and barrages to Narrung.

I didn't see any lizards but I did see a snake on one of the dirt roads moments after this.

First to arrive:

In 2015 I was there on a day they were doing some dredgeing but today I heard it's a fulltime thing now.

I'm not sure how many k's I did today but would be under 400.

Spotwalla also missing GPS points like the other tracker so I guess there was a glitch somewhere.

The kwaka os going in for a long overdue service on monday.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:08:19 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, TouriSTs, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
Re: 2020-01-18 Hindmarsh Island Ride To Eat
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 06:30:42 PM »
Thanks for everyone's company.  It was a great day for a ride.  Let the GPS take me on the scenic route on the way home, new roads and plenty of time to enjoy them
Richo

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 06:45:32 PM »
Once again, Bodo had produced a comprehensive ride report with great photos.   Chris and I had a lovely day out, and I should have worn a hat as I got quite sunburned as we had lunch.    In my opinion the Coorong Cafe has the best FnC in SA, and is always worth a visit.    It was great to catch up with TouriST (Marty) who has been absent from our RTEs for a while.   Thanks all for the wonderful company and conversation.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, TouriSTs, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, Langers

Bodø

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 03:15:11 AM »
My arms felt the sunburn in the shower this morning.

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy

Offline Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:30:32 AM »
Well done Bodo  :hatwave
Thanks for sharing  :like
 :beer
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
Great RR as always mate, thanks for sharing  :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
Spent a long time working out if I could do the RTE and wedding yesterday. Realised I couldn't do both, but at least this one wasn't my son's wedding, unlike the last clash in dates  :rofl :well
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage